Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pc to TV

• 10-03-2013 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Hopefully this is in the right place!

I just connected a pc to a tv, to get the benefit of Netflix. But I have a little issue of no sound. Now I connected via the RGA slot on both PC and TV. The TV has an optical run into the DVD player, for surround sound.

Do I need to run another cable? If I run the 3 cable with the red yellow and white connectors to the TV, could this solve the issue?

I have other issues with download speed, picture freezing, but I want to get sound sorted first.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I presume "RGA" is VGA ? If so then you will need a separate audio connection as this connector doesn't carry any audio signal.

Most people use a 3.5mm stereo jack (like ipod headphone jack) to RCA Phono (Red and White usually but colour isn't important).

If your PC supports SPDIF or Optical Out you might also use these but it depends on your TV's capability.

If your computer supports a composite signal via 3 RCA Phono connectors then this can also be used but composite video is the poorest quality video you can get.

Also your computer might have a HDMI socket depending on its age ? Best quality and a good chance there's audio there too !

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Agree that HDMI is the best option if the PC has a HDMI socket, you'll get the audio and video on a single cable and the quality will be the best that's possible with your setup.

If the TV has a VGA input then it almost certainly will take audio from a PC via either a 3.5mm socket for PC audio or left and right (red and white) phone/RCA sockets. In either case you'll need a cable with a 3.5mm jack (headphone plug) at one end to plug into the headphone socket on the PC and at the other end the connector(s) to plug into the TV, you can buy these cables in most PC or audio shops or in an electrical component shop like Maplins, don't spend more than €10 on the cable (i.e. avoid gold-plated expensive crap) and on the web you can get them for less.

Digital and optical audio are usually output only on TVs so I wouldn't bother pursuing that option..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Cheers, PC doesn't have a HDMI socket, built in 2004. The TV is only 2 years old, has SD card, VGA, HDMI, USB connections. I have a RCA Phone cable, sockets on both PC and TC, must check the DVD player, might be able to get surround sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

A 2004 PC probably doesn't have a multi-channel sound system but worth looking up the motherboard and seeing what it's capable of. Maybe take the cover off the box and try to find some letters and numbers on the MB, that should help you identify its capabilities. Looking at the Audio control panel may reveal the number of output channels and any facilities it possesses with a nod towards surround sound. Will likely involve getting a few of the 3.5mm to Phono leads to get all the channels.

Again main board permitting, it may be possible to upgrade the graphics card to one with a HDMI output. If the MB has a PCIe socket this should be possible. You can pick these up from about 50 Euro nowadays. Given the age of the computer I doubt you'll be wanting to play games on it so 3D performance isn't as important (for 50 quid you'll not get this anyway !) as the output connectors available.

What's the make/model of the computer by the way ?

Good luck !

Ken

It's a Compaq, not sure of the model. I used to watch footie on it via eircom and sentanta sports. I wouldn't have a clue about the motherboard etc so I was trying a simple "fix". If needs be I will use my laptop instead.

• Advertisement

Just to update, tried various cables and no joy on sound. Since the picture keeps stalling and is un-watchable I am going to drop this idea.

Advertisement