Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those of you in Vancouver

Options
  • 10-03-2013 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hey there,

I'm just looking for some insights on the availability of work in Vancouver, doing a lot of googling and research (way too much) and hearing different things. I'm heading over on IEC visa in April and hoping to get work as quick as possible as I'm on a tight budget, anything would do, shop work, cafe, bar work etc. Alot of those type of jobs on Craigslist and Kijiji, but from reading boards.ie it seems alot of people are having trouble finding work.

If you're in Vancouver or know people there and have any info or insight for me, i'd really appreciate it...

Many thanks!

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Heading over myself on the 8th April. Have been reading up on how expensive it is, but if you look after the $ you should be fine.
    Been looking on craigslist for work and there seems to be a gud bit. Going to start applying this week and cross my fingers. We have landed on out feet so far, condo sorted already in north shore (mates auntie owns it). Just need sort a job then a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dean.kiely

Can anyone recommend area's to stay in?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishcanadian

Staying downtown or the West End/Coal Harbour might be expensive. As long as you can get a place near a SkyTrain stop you will be fine. They run very frequently and are quite reliable. I live in New Westminster. Monthly transit pass is C$ 124 for 2 zones and is tax deductible.
    http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire?.a=iScheduleLookupSearch&LineName=999&LineAbbr=999

As for jobs, keep an eye on craigslist. Workopolis is also good http://www.workopolis.com/jobsearch/whitelabel/vancouversun/home

Good luck.... if you have any questions feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

And be careful of craigslist. If it seem to go to be true it is. Lots of scammers. Dont give out any account details of any nature on there.

Having said that, I got a new career out of it and we furnished our flat with it.

For those of you in Media.......

www.mediajobsearchcanada.com

www.playbackonline.ca

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Is it hard for new graduates to get work?

My degree is in international business and langauges (Italian, not French!) When I started the degree, you didn't need any experience to get work in Ireland, now, with the degree it's not enough. I had plenty of part-time jobs through school and college but is it enough to get started in Canada with a good degree? I would aim for something like intern, assistant, trainee junior anything. I suppose it would be ideal to get a little more experience before I go but I can't even get that here, it's that bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Guys for car insurance in vancouver how much are you talking roughly for the year and any good companys to go with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

what about car rental in Vancouver area? best value?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Is it hard for new graduates to get work?

My degree is in international business and langauges (Italian, not French!) When I started the degree, you didn't need any experience to get work in Ireland, now, with the degree it's not enough. I had plenty of part-time jobs through school and college but is it enough to get started in Canada with a good degree? I would aim for something like intern, assistant, trainee junior anything. I suppose it would be ideal to get a little more experience before I go but I can't even get that here, it's that bleak.

Not being smart but did you consider moving to Italy? A native English speaker with Italian would get ahead there, trust me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

seachto7 wrote: »
    Not being smart but did you consider moving to Italy? A native English speaker with Italian would get ahead there, trust me...

It's fine, I appreciate any take on my situation :) Italy started to go downhill when I finished studying there 2 years ago, deep economic and budgetary cuts etc. To be honest, you seem to need to be absolutely brilliant at translation or forget it. I'm far, far more able with business and that's something I resented with doing languages - my languages hold my good business head back. So I planned on sticking to that. More than just getting by, I would like to drive a good career forward so I would probably avoid translation/teaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 KevinFQB1

Awesome sites, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 combi

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Guys for car insurance in vancouver how much are you talking roughly for the year and any good companys to go with?
    Hi,car insurance can be pretty expensive in vancouver.Just returned after living there for two and a half years and i was paying 260 dollars a month fpr car insurance on a hyundai accent 1.5 litre.

We have public insurance in BC, you have to get your basic through ICBC, the Insurance Corp of British Columbia. they are also the people who issue drivers licenses.
    I pay $ 1000 per year for a 20 year old 3.0L V6 Toyota Camry, but I am over 50 with a perfect driving record :)
    http://www.icbc.com/
    You can shop around for the extra insurance, Canadian Direct are the other big provider http://www.canadiandirect.com/Auto-Insurance/

Advertisement