Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Example Junior Cert Timetable

Options
  • 10-03-2013 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭

Hey can anyone put up or PM their study/JC timetable. I don't really know how to make one and I don't really know how much subjects I should study per night.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ellie182

I did my Junior last year and I did HAVE a timetable (various ones, actually) but honestly like you have to be really determined and really thinking through what you're going to be putting yourself up to when you're making one. Making them is the easiest part though.
    This is a sample one we were given last year. It's not great but it's something, at least.
    FEBRUARY
    Mondays: Home til dinner - homework; after dinner - 45 minutes maths, break, 40 minutes home ec, break, 15 minutes English key phrases
    Tuesdays: homework; 40 minutes Spanish, break, 20 minutes history, break, 1 hour science
    Wednesdays: homework; 40 minutes Irish, break, 40 minutes maths, 20 minutes RE
    Thursdays: homework; 1 hour geography
    Fridays: half homework; 25 minutes maths, break, 30 minutes history
    Saturdays: 20 minutes aural phrases, 40 minutes business, break, 30 minutes home ec
    Sundays: finish homework; 30 minutes English, break, 40 minutes Spanish

I'm not really sure if this is a good example or not, because it all depends on how much effort you're willing to put in. I mean, for me, that would have been way too much, but some other people might be doing twice as much as that. Basically, just go with what you think you need to work on the most.
    If you're doing two languages (ie Irish and a European one) try not to study them during the same study session (lol) because it can be a bit confusing and it might put you off.
    Start with the subjects you find hardest and then work towards the ones you like more. This was always what we were told but at the same time if you do do that and then you're unmotivated because the first subject is so hard then maybe that's actually a bad plan. Idk.
    Take breaks. Not ones long enough that you can watch an episode of telly or anything, but enough that your brain gets a rest for a few minutes. Have some sweets or something. Sweets are good.
    I know you'll hate this, but put your homework first. I only started doing my homework properly around January/February before my JC but I should have started earlier. But seriously, just doing your homework is still counting as learning/studying, especially practicing exam questions.

I feel like I've just gone on ranting about nothing, but maybe some of it will be of even a tiny bit of help.
    Just go with what you think is right. There's no right or wrong way to make a timetable. At least you're actually (thinking of) studying - that's more than most people.

Good luck - you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BulletPoints

Mad doing a hour of geography one night a week unless you have a photographic memory. The best approach is usually to study the subjects you do during the day (exceptions for projects, extended essays etc); Any time left over, use for extra study.

Study in 20 minute sessions with a 5 minute break. Stick religiously to this unless you are in the 'flow' of a topic.

Aim to do something very specific in that 20 minutes; trying to *randomly* revise is a waste of your time and you won't feel you have achieved anything.

Aim for competence - e.g. in 20 minutes you should be able to revise one feature of erosion write about it without looking at the text.

Here's a sample timetable in word format. It's organised into 20 minute sessions but because it's in Word you can edit it to suit yourself. http://geography.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/StudyTimeTable2.doc

Advertisement