Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog and toddlers

• 10-03-2013 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi all just looking for a bit of advice. I took in a stray in november she is a crossbreed and is now about 8 months. I have 3 children aged 5, 6 and 12 and she is brilliant with them and we have also met kids as young as 4 on walks or in local dogpark and they rub her no prob.
    however about 2wks ago my neighbours toddler aged about 2 was in my garden playing with my 2 youngest and the dog was inside in the sitting room window and was going mad to get out at him, not growling but whining since this any time we see him when i taking her on walk shes pulling like crazy to get to him and whining.
    Its so worrying i contacted my vet whom knows dog as she has been spayed vaccinated and chipped and she agreed with me that dog is not agressive by nature and she suggested a trainer/behaviouist
    So i have one coming out to me on tuesday but am not sure if i should ask my neighbour in with her toddler as obviously its delicate situation.
    Sorry for long post but i am so worried
    :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

missyanne wrote: »
    hi all just looking for a bit of advice. I took in a stray in november she is a crossbreed and is now about 8 months. I have 3 children aged 5, 6 and 12 and she is brilliant with them and we have also met kids as young as 4 on walks or in local dogpark and they rub her no prob.
    however about 2wks ago my neighbours toddler aged about 2 was in my garden playing with my 2 youngest and the dog was inside in the sitting room window and was going mad to get out at him, not growling but whining since this any time we see him when i taking her on walk shes pulling like crazy to get to him and whining.
    Its so worrying i contacted my vet whom knows dog as she has been spayed vaccinated and chipped and she agreed with me that dog is not agressive by nature and she suggested a trainer/behaviouist
    So i have one coming out to me on tuesday but am not sure if i should ask my neighbour in with her toddler as obviously its delicate situation.
    Sorry for long post but i am so worried
    :(

The dog is whining? Maybe he just wants to see who your kids friend is? You've kept the dog away from this kid, who is playing with yours (who he knows well), i wouldnt get a trainer, id bring him out on lead. He probably just wants in on the action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I think a behaviourist is a good idea to give you a proper assessment of why your dog is whining, it will put your mind at ease.
    Bear in mind that your dog was roughly 4 months old when you found her and would have a seperate set of memories from before you got her, it could simply be a case that your neighbours toddler reminds her of a beloved child from her past. A properly qualified behaviourist will be able to tell you if she's likely to be aggressive or wants to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 missyanne

the thing that worries me is that she sometimes does this whining and pulling if we see a cat, so maybe the high pitched tone of the toddler is drawing her attention and she is just curious? i really hope so after rescuing her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

The whine will only be one symptom, a proper behaviourist will be able to see a whole load of other indicators of what your dog is feeling about the toddler, whether she's aggressive, interested, over excited etc. Really you need someone out to see her in action to give you a proper idea of what's going on

Advertisement