Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guiness Cake For St Patrick's Day

Options
  • 10-03-2013 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I am making a Guinness Cake for St. Patrick's Day.

If using margarine instead of butter is it best to use soft or hard margarine?

I'm using an Nigella recipe

Ingredients

• 250 ml Guinness
    • 250 gram(s) unsalted butter or Margarine.
    • 75 gram(s) cocoa powder
    • 400 gram(s) caster sugar
    • 142 ml sour cream
    • 2 medium egg(s)
    • 1 tablespoon(s) vanilla extract
    • 275 gram(s) Plain flour
    • 2.5 teaspoon(s) bicarbonate of soda

For the topping

• 300 gram(s) cream cheese
    • 150 gram(s) Icing sugar
    • 125 ml double cream (or whipping cream)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

One tip, don't use Guinness. Use another stout or porter. Guinness isn't great for baking (or stews to be honest) as it's just got very little depth of flavour.

Try using something O'Hara's Leann Follian or Fullers London Porter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Moved to Cake & Pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Made that cake before and it's delicious.

For our wedding we had ten cakes (:o) and the star attraction was the Guinness-chocolate-bacon-cabbage cake!
    There was finely grated red cabbage in the sponge, the buttercream was green and there was bacon that had been caramelised with maple sprinkled in the middle of the layers and around the top!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I really would always use butter over margarine. Here's my variation of a stout cake. I made it with Dungarvan Stout, but it's based on a recipe from Hummingbird Bakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I've made Nigellas one and it's a nice cake but would agree that maybe a different stout could be used if you want a stronger flavour but the Guiness is fine if you just want a hint of flavour and for it not to be over powering.

I'd agree and use butter instead of marg. butter tends to make a cake stay fresh for longer and gives it a better flavour.

You could make it extra boozy by putting a few teaspoons of baileys origional into the cream cheese icing or use Mascarpone instead..best stuff ever yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

tfak85 wrote: »

For our wedding we had ten cakes (:o) and the star attraction was the Guinness-chocolate-bacon-cabbage cake!
    There was finely grated red cabbage in the sponge, the buttercream was green and there was bacon that had been caramelised with maple sprinkled in the middle of the layers and around the top!

Photo? Sounds odd but really cool idea to have something different for a wedding...

As for guinness cake...would you need to be a stout fan to like the flavour of this cake? Silly question I'm sure, but does it taste like Guinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

tatumkelly wrote: »
    Photo? Sounds odd but really cool idea to have something different for a wedding...

ssjO9GH.jpg

here you go! The cakes were not glam but oh boy were they delicious!

Advertisement