Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What makes someone a failure at life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Hating disabled people makes someone a failure at life in my opinion.

Hating someone because they are disabled is of course very wrong. But just because someone is disabled it doesn't neccessarily make them automatically a nice person. It is perfectly acceptable to dislike, maybe even hate, a disabled person if they are have unlikable personalities imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

lol @ people who need to work to be happy(they're be bored otherwise :rolleyes:)

What if working is something a person enjoys? I love my work! Not every job is a boring 9-5 desk job, and I'm sure there are even people who love that kind of job too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

People who dont know how to aspire to better things while at the same time being contented by what they have today.

People who don't get that your life is nothing more and nothing less than what you make of it.

People who continually bitch about their jobs and live for the next coming weekend when they'll just go out and drink themselves into oblivion, and then rinse-repeat to next monday.

People who continually talk about emigrating in the tone of "I'm going to get away from this dump", as if their attitude isn't the problem and they'll magically become a happy person when they leave the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

What if working is something a person enjoys? I love my work! Not every job is a boring 9-5 desk job, and I'm sure there are even people who love that kind of job too.

If you really love what you do that's fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Using an iPad as a camera in public

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

dying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Its more of a life failure to believe that you have to like someone just because they have a disability.

I'd have agreed if you said, 'Hating people for being disabled' but thats not what you meant at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

WumBuster wrote: »
    People who use the term 'failure' as a part of their everyday vocabulary.

Anyone involved in reliability testing :D.

MTTF of post: 3Hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭I Luv Crysis

What if they use their disability to create a social media storm out of nothing tarnishing the reputation of a specific business and causing someone to lose their job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

What if they use their disability to create a social media storm out of nothing tarnishing the reputation of a specific business and causing someone to lose their job?

Oooooohhhhh. Topical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wonder if quite a few people don't choose other groups as failures in order to make themselves feel better and prop themselves up.
    Maybe it's worth taking a stab at what a success is? Is it personal goals? Is it producing offspring? Is it improving the lives of others?

If it's personal goals then the whole idea goes out the window and success or failure are entirely at the mercy of the individuals opinion.

Offspring is more easily judged, and would make me a total failure.

Improving the lives of others? By that criteria most of us are dead weight. If I fell down the stairs and snapped my neck in two today I can honestly say that the world would be a better place. Only a tiny handful of people would miss me and the rest of the population would have a tiny, tiny little bit more to go around. That tiny, tiny bit being my proportionally larger share than the rest of the planet because I live well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    What would you consider a failure?
    Not being me. Not being like me. Not as ridiculous as it sounds, both grandiose and humble at the same time. Goodnight Vienna. (Boards readers up and down the country)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭ashers222

kowloon wrote: »
    I wonder if quite a few people don't choose other groups as failures in order to make themselves feel better and prop themselves up.
    Maybe it's worth taking a stab at what a success is? Is it personal goals? Is it producing offspring? Is it improving the lives of others?

If it's personal goals then the whole idea goes out the window and success or failure are entirely at the mercy of the individuals opinion.

Offspring is more easily judged, and would make me a total failure.

Improving the lives of others? By that criteria most of us are dead weight. If I fell down the stairs and snapped my neck in two today I can honestly say that the world would be a better place. Only a tiny handful of people would miss me and the rest of the population would have a tiny, tiny little bit more to go around. That tiny, tiny bit being my proportionally larger share than the rest of the planet because I live well.
    I think what your getting at is success is subjective. Or relative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Yes, as Ashers says, it's subjective, but so is much in life.
    Maybe it's worth taking a stab at what a success is? Is it personal goals?
    Leaving the world a better place than one found it.
    Less cynicism and more common sense, please. We are not lemmings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I used to like my job but the industry has changed a lot over the years. It's not what it used to be. I work there so I can pay the mortgage and so that myself and the wife can enjoy life when out of the work environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

I would have thought being dead would have made someone a failure at life.

is it just me ? feel like im taking crazy pills here .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

old hippy wrote: »
    I used to like my job but the industry has changed a lot over the years. It's not what it used to be. I work there so I can pay the mortgage and so that myself and the wife can enjoy life when out of the work environment.

fair play to ye Old Hippy, my sentiments exactly. you might not enjoy your work - that's why it's called "work". but the life it can give you when you put in the hours is great. travelling and living a nice life as well as working which keeps a good balance to keep your mind going too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

But I bet they are desirous of peace and stability.

Thanks, I learnt a new word today, had never come across 'desirous' until now.

• Site Banned Posts: 16 libidoontour

someone who cheats on their partner of 5 years whom they have a house and child together

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

alphabeat wrote: »
    I would have thought being dead would have made someone a failure at life.

is it just me ? feel like im taking crazy pills here .

No, you're on the crazy pills :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Dejvice

Failures
    Functional alcoholics (look that one up, loads of you out there).
    Men and women ´who let themselves go' (see functional alcoholics).
    Parents who bring their kids to the pub.
    Smokers (any dependency is a weakness).
    Men who cheat on their partner.
    Women who cheat on their partner.
    Married couples not doing it after 10 years marraige (loads of you out there).

That about covers the lot. Most people are failures in some way.

Dejvice wrote: »

Married couples who are not cheating after 10 years of marriage are failures ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Nobody is ever a failure in life, well...not in the conventional terms. I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and that we are the author of our own life story, to a certain extent and sometimes, people take a direction in life that from an outsider point of view, we cannot or may never understand, that direction a person has taken. When we are growing up, all kinds of things have an influence on us and if you experience a certain amount of similar situations in life, it will of course play a part in the design of your existence. "Sitting on your arse all day and not working or contributing to society and having a sense of entitlement" is no more a failure than "the lack of showing compassion, empathy or just being a damn nice person" in any given situation. In either case, none is a failure. Life's a bit*ch... But for the most, we either get on with it or just become bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Failures
    So, you're against fags, women and drink. What do you do out of the way? The bookies? <:=>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    What would you consider a failure?

Dying?

eamonnq wrote: »
    Married couples who are not cheating after 10 years of marriage are failures ??

are you still living at home?

"doing it" = getting it on, nooky, sex.

feargale wrote: »
    So, you're against fags, women and drink. What do you do out of the way? The bookies? <:=>
    Guess I touched a sensitive issue for you.

Regards

"doing it" = getting it on, nooky, sex.

Ah....why didn't you just say that in your post? It would have saved the confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Failures

Not you though, I bet.

Not you though, I bet.

Guess you are sensitive about a few things onthe list too.

regards.

Ah....why didn't you just say that in your post? It would have saved the confusion.

No problem old chap, happy to oblige.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭sorsha

This world is a failure, so I am not sure if to be successful (wealthy -famous -have power?) is a real success..maybe not be a failure means just to be happy, but how can you be fully happy when things are so wrong around?
    Today I saw someone driving over a dog on the road - could be avoided.. and I have lost probably a good job offer because of that -will be off work for another while because I took that dog to vet.
    Am I a failure?

I have a desire to be a functioning alcoholic now..............damn you!! There I was tapping away being all 'non-desirous' and now I feel like a failure.................better bring the kids down the pub, have a few smokes and see if I can cheat on the wife while I let myself go.

Sounds like a plan now, better not forget the not doing ' it ' bit now as well so that I have the full house.

I have a desire to be a functioning alcoholic now..............damn you!! There I was tapping away being all 'non-desirous' and now I feel like a failure.................better bring the kids down the pub, have a few smokes and see if I can cheat on the wife while I let myself go.

Sounds like a plan now, better not forget the not doing ' it ' bit now as well so that I have the full house.

Carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Failures

Guess I touched a sensitive issue for you.

Regards
    Guess you are sensitive about a few things onthe list too.

regards.
    Being this miserable that you'd project it onto others = being a failture.

Madam_X wrote: »
    Being this miserable that you'd project it onto others = being a failture.

Really? That so nice from you. Thanks.
    Which one on the list are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Really? That so nice from you. Thanks.

People who seek out failure in others. It would serve them better to examine their own life and see how they could improve as a person.

Working on their bitter attitude towards other people would be a good start.

Why do you keep saying you reckon people who dispute you on a discussion forum belong somewhere on your list? It could be argued they're failings (apart from the not having sex after 10 years of marriage one - if physical attraction goes, despite working on it, that's hardly something people can control) but to err is to be human, and it's not unreasonable to disagree that one of these failings constitutes being a failure at life.
    You, like us all, have failings, but you don't think you are a failure at life based on them alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Someone who is happy to sit on the dole for years and years and never bother to try working for a living
    one man's meat...

(is another man's mashed potato)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

lol.

a millionaire is a failure to his billionaire friends.

etc etc.

see 'Einstein's Theory of (annoying) Relatives'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Someone who does not laugh

someone who does not not seek his own truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Failures

"That about covers the lot"???
    So being a serial killer who kidnaps and keeps people in an old well in the basement, gets them to moisturize regularly (by lowering the moisturiser down to them in a bucket on a rope) and then kills them to wear their skin as garments is ok, but bringing your kid to a pub is not?
    Your morals are weird

Czarcasm wrote: »
    People who seek out failure in others. It would serve them better to examine their own life and see how they could improve as a person.

Working on their bitter attitude towards other people would be a good start.

Wow. Another one. Was not expecting this. Which one's hit your button?

Why do you keep saying you reckon people who dispute you on a discussion forum belong somewhere on your list? It could be argued they're failings (apart from the not having sex after 10 years of marriage one - if physical attraction goes, despite working on it, that's hardly something people can control) but to err is to be human, and it's not unreasonable to disagree that one of these failings constitutes being a failure at life.
    You, like us all, have failings, but you don't think you are a failure at life based on them alone.

Never said I had no failings. Never said or reckoned people who disputed me are on my failure list.
    Nevertheless, you can carry on.

Regards.

Cienciano wrote: »
    "That about covers the lot"???
    So being a serial killer who kidnaps and keeps people in an old well in the basement, gets them to moisturize regularly (by lowering the moisturiser down to them in a bucket on a rope) and then kills them to wear their skin as garments is ok, but bringing your kid to a pub is not?
    Your morals are weird

Opps......forgot that one.
    So which ones are you?

Regards.

Opps......forgot that one.
    So which ones are you?

Regards.

Which one are you ?

Just post a list on the internet and then if anyone responds ask them the question above.

So which one are YOU ???!!! :rolleyes:

Never said I had no failings.
    But you did say people are failures at life for making any of the mistakes you listed. One failing doesn't make a person a failure at life though. If that's the case, we're all failures at life, including you.
    Never said or reckoned people who disputed me are on my failure list.
    Actually you did. You keep on implying to anyone who disputes you that they must obviously be on your list. It's possible that they can view what you're saying as very unreasonable without any of it applying to them.

But you did say people are failures at life for making any of the mistakes you listed. One failing doesn't make a person a failure at life though. If that's the case, we're all failures at life, including you.

Actually you did. You keep on implying to anyone who disputes you that they must obviously be on your list. It's possible that they can view what you're saying as very unreasonable without any of it applying to them.

Wow.

Never said that I was not a failure.
    Never implied anything, asked a question but did not imply anything.
    What i will say is that the list I posted probably some of the points apply to most people.
    Carry on.
    Opps forgot........ Have a nice day.

Which one are you ?

Just post a list on the internet and then if anyone responds ask them the question above.

So which one are YOU ???!!! :rolleyes:

None.

Regards

• Advertisement
Advertisement