Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SAAB external bell & power cuts.

Options
  • 10-03-2013 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

2 nights ago I had a power cut. The alarm went off as it should, so I went down stairs and put in the code but the alarm kept on sounding and it being after midnight probably caused a few neighbours grief. Luckily the power came back on after around 10 mins.
    The next day I went to re-create the situation of the night before, i.e . I tripped the main CB in the fuse box and cut power to the house,The alarm went off as expected, I then went and put in the code and the alarm reset and turned off as I wished it had done the night before.
    This external box is around 4 years old. Also the internal box battery has been replaced recently.
    I got the ladder out and went up to check the external box and found no obvious issues.
    To combat the problem in the interm I have disconnected the external siren red wire at the external box. This inhibits the alarm system obviously and gives an external bell tamper message on the internal keypad screen. It also turns off the flashing strobe led lights on the external box which are always a good deterant for burglars.
    I am wondering has anyone had a similar issue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Does the internal siren ring or does the keypad just beep when the power is cut ?
    What system is it ? Is there a fault light on the keypad ??

• Registered Users Posts: 15 molladam

Both the internal siren rings and the keypad also beeps. The system is a hkc securewatch. also there is a fault light on the keypad.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The alarm should not ring in the event of a power cut. You should only get a buzzer on the keypad and a mains fault alert.
    The fault showing now may be a bell tamper as you have disconnected the power to that.
    Reconnect that and turn off the power again. After you disarm the alarm post up what displays on the keypad.

KoolKid wrote: »
    The alarm should not ring in the event of a power cut. You should only get a buzzer on the keypad and a mains fault alert.
    The fault showing now may be a bell tamper as you have disconnected the power to that.
    Reconnect that and turn off the power again. After you disarm the alarm post up what displays on the keypad.
    I will do as you suggest and get back and post, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

molladam wrote: »
    Both the internal siren rings and the keypad also beeps. The system is a hkc securewatch. also there is a fault light on the keypad.
    Had the same problem with the exact same alarm and i also thought it had something to do with the battery in the bell box. Eventually found out that the 12v battery in the main box in the house had a voltage of 12.3v. Found out on the net that once it drops below 12.5 - 12.6 it causes problems.
    All i had to do was change this battery and all was fine again.

• Advertisement

i have reconnected the external bell and turned off the power. I am just getting the beep at the keypad and putting in the code ,turns this off as it should. however I am still getting external bell tamper even though I have connected it back up. I have triple checked at the external bell box and everything is as it should be. I even pressed the push switch that the cover presses against and had my wife relay up to me what was the keypad reading. it was still reading external bell tamper even when i had this switch pushed in. all connections at the external box are secure and proper. do I have to reset the system now or what as I can not set the alarm and arm the house because of this tamper.?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

molladam wrote: »
    i have reconnected the external bell and turned off the power. I am just getting the beep at the keypad and putting in the code ,turns this off as it should. however I am still getting external bell tamper even though I have connected it back up. I have triple checked at the external bell box and everything is as it should be. I even pressed the push switch that the cover presses against and had my wife relay up to me what was the keypad reading. it was still reading external bell tamper even when i had this switch pushed in. all connections at the external box are secure and proper. do I have to reset the system now or what as I can not set the alarm and arm the house because of this tamper.?

Have you checked the internal wiring in the control panel?
    Had you got this issue before opening the external bell?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Molladam,
    Did you remove, or change the tamper return resistor by any chance?

altor wrote: »
    Have you checked the internal wiring in the control panel?
    Had you got this issue before opening the external bell?

yes have checked the wiring here also and it is also as it should be. nothing changed here. checked the 4 fuses and they were good also. i did not have this issue before opening the external bell .

Molladam,
    Did you remove, or change the tamper return resistor by any chance?

I did not remove or change the tamper resistor

• Advertisement

Do you have the use of a multimeter to check the tamper return cable?
    If you want to bypass this problem remove the tamper return cable from the panel.
    Remove the resistor from the bell and place it in the panel across the bell hold off and tamper return terminals.
    Leave the bell hold off cable connected.

Do you have the use of a multimeter to check the tamper return cable?
    If you want to bypass this problem remove the tamper return cable from the panel.
    Remove the resistor from the bell and place it in the panel across the bell hold off and tamper return terminals.
    Leave the bell hold off cable connected.

I don`t have multimeter right now but will be able to get my hands on one from work. I had a fluke 87 but can`t seem to find it ?
    I will try and do what you suggest and get back.
    thanks

Thank you koolkid , what you suggeted worked and I am now able to set the alarm and also the alarm seems to work correctly on when the power is cut . i.e. the keypad just beeping.
    just one more question ? I have an internal siren (bomb) that is shockingly loud. Can you recommend an internal siren which maybe isn`t so loud.

They are all similar. Where is it located....?

They are all similar. Where is it located....?

Right inside the front door beside the internal box.

You could put it inside the panel. That would dampen it a bit.

You could put it inside the panel. That would dampen it a bit.

good thinking, thanks a million for all the help. I really appreciate it

Advertisement