Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draft from down lighters in new extension

Options
  • 10-03-2013 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

We had an extension built last year and of late there's a bad draft which I recently found is coming from the downlights. Have tried contact the builder with no luck.. Is there anything that can be done? I inspected the fittings and they seem to be cheap fittings. i.e. non fire rated "cans" there also seems to be quite a void of insulation around the light fitting in the ceiling. Could I try fill the void with expanding foam then make a cut out for a can type light fitting would this be advisable? Don't want a fire hazard either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Buy bathroom down lighters. They have a rubber seal on them it's supposed to stop water ingress but I would imagine it would stop the draft getting in. As for the fire rating i think you can get fire rated ones but they'd be pricey. Fire rated down lighters have a back on them that covers the bulb and reflects heat downwards. Hope sat helped ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Cogsy88 wrote: »
    Buy bathroom down lighters. They have a rubber seal on them it's supposed to stop water ingress but I would imagine it would stop the draft getting in. As for the fire rating i think you can get fire rated ones but they'd be pricey. Fire rated down lighters have a back on them that covers the bulb and reflects heat downwards. Hope sat helped ya.

They will be fcuk all use if the OPs kitchen extension ceiling is a sloped ceiling/lean to roof.

Therefor they would need to be adjustable so that the light beam would face downwards and not off to 1 side.

The OP also needs to find out what size/diameter hole was cut out of the ceiling for the existing downlights,before doing anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 karlito0001

It's a pitched roof.. And the ceiling goes up with the pitch btw.. So the space between the plaster and the felt/roof tiles is about 100mm

It's a pitched roof.. And the ceiling goes up with the pitch btw.. So the space between the plaster and the felt/roof tiles is about 100mm

Forget bathroom fittings then...as you need directional light fitttings

Aroura sell a fire/accoustc/insulating downlight kit,that is fully adjustable.

Its around 18-20 euro for a fiting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

There's no need to have a go at me was only trying to help. He never said wat type of roof it was. If its not flat he can jus use eyeball down lighters with surrounds they should also stop a draft.

• Advertisement

Cogsy88 wrote: »
    There's no need to have a go at me was only trying to help. He never said wat type of roof it was. If its not flat he can jus use eyeball down lighters with surrounds they should also stop a draft.

Eh no one is having a go at you.......so relax there.

You could have asked the OP what type of roof/ceiling it was/is 1st though.;)

The void is actually 140mm and I've sourced some lights 80 mm in depth (that's the can) so I'm left with 60 mm and was gonna maybe get a disc if insulation say 20 mm and bond it in? Would this be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

The void is actually 140mm and I've sourced some lights 80 mm in depth (that's the can) so I'm left with 60 mm and was gonna maybe get a disc if insulation say 20 mm and bond it in? Would this be ok?
    Don't put insulation around or directly over your down lighters as that is a major fire hazard you can get fire hoods for the down lighters that will solve most of the draught and it is the safest option

• Registered Users Posts: 13 avon barksdale

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Don't put insulation around or directly over your down lighters as that is a major fire hazard you can get fire hoods for the down lighters that will solve most of the draught and it is the safest option

You can cover fire rated down lighters with insulation!

Unfortunately I can't go for the hood option as its not accessible..

• Advertisement

Exactly as I did and posted pics about too.;):)

100mm Rockwool slab around them,and then 170mm Knauf Carbon Zero over them.

PS-This wont work though if the ceiling and lights are allready done and slabbed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

paddy147 wrote: »

Exactly as I did and posted pics about too.;):)

100mm Rockwool slab around them,and then 170mm Knauf Carbon Zero over them.

PS-This wont work though if the ceiling and lights are allready done and slabbed out.
    The fire hoods are designed to be fitted through the cut out can't remember the make but I fitted 90 of them

The fire hoods are designed to be fitted through the cut out can't remember the make but I fitted 90 of them

Aroura perhaps?.......they are canvas fire retardant hoods that fold down for instalation and then pop out once installed into the void.

Theres also a cone shaped fire hood that you "cut to size" to fit into the downlight hole.

It used 2 metal brackets that you bend to shape.

You fit the cone shaped hood in 1st,and then slot in the 2 metal brackets to keep it up and away from the downlight bulb..

Video of said hood.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

From my own experience when searching for fire hoods I found they were more expensive than buying firerated downlights themselves. I think I payed around €70 for 10 Robus, adjustable, firerated downlights on ebay and was pretty please with the quality. Electrician also told me that the hoods are tricky little suckers to install correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 L1979

Sorry i don't mean to start an argument, but Fire rated downlights are designed to restore the fire rating of the ceiling after cutting a hole in it. I have never read anything from manufacturers about covering them with insulation. Am i missing something?

L1979 wrote: »
    Sorry i don't mean to start an argument, but Fire rated downlights are designed to restore the fire rating of the ceiling after cutting a hole in it. I have never read anything from manufacturers about covering them with insulation. Am i missing something?

I don't think so but what I'm looking to find out is, with the heat created by the light fitting is it ok to deal the top to prevent the draft that's comin through the fitting? And what's the permissible clearance between the "can" and insulation

*seal

• Advertisement

I don't think so but what I'm looking to find out is, with the heat created by the light fitting is it ok to deal the top to prevent the draft that's comin through the fitting? And what's the permissible clearance between the "can" and insulation

Change over to LED downlights.Big drop in the heat and also the electricity usage too.:)

What's the light off the LEDs like? I've heard it can be quite white if you know what I mean.. Unlike the warm glow produced by the halogen equivalent

What's the light off the LEDs like? I've heard it can be quite white if you know what I mean.. Unlike the warm glow produced by the halogen equivalent

Myself and my family found them very nice indeed....a nice warm/homely white colour.:)

Have them installed throughout the house...(the picture doesnt do them justice)

How much did you pay for those LEDs ? Did you get them online?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 L1979

Have a read of http://www.led.ie/led/led/asp/section.asp?s=40

Fire Rated fittings are indeed to restore the fire rating of the ceiling and have nothing to do with insulation. Robus do however claim that their fitting are Air leakage tested to BS5250, so that in itself should resolve your problem with drafts.

As Paddy suggested swap to Led's as they are alot cooler then their halogen cousins.

How much did you pay for those LEDs ? Did you get them online?

8 euro 50 cents plus vat.

Eurosales in Glasnevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There's a lot to be said for surface-mounted spots!
    I sincerely hope recessed lighting goes out of fashion soon. It's more hassle than it's worth.

You can get some really nice looking track / wire systems that are a million times less trouble to install, don't screw up your insulation and are't fire hazards.

Solair wrote: »
    There's a lot to be said for surface-mounted spots!
    I sincerely hope recessed lighting goes out of fashion soon. It's more hassle than it's worth.

You can get some really nice looking track / wire systems that are a million times less trouble to install, don't screw up your insulation and are't fire hazards.

Any links.

I know Ikea do some nice track systems,but dont know how good or bad they may be?

Advertisement