Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog bite

• 10-03-2013 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

Hi folks over the weekend I was at a friends house and I got bit by her dog. I was chatting with her 6 year old and while paying too much attention to her story about her birthday party I absent mindadly noticed their dog get up from his bed and start to sniff around my feet. Too late I registered he was growing and a split second later he sunk his teeth into me.

The issue is not the bite as my friend this afternoon has already investigated bringing in a behaviorist to work on him. He has always been what I woukd describe as territorial. Knowing this I should have been paying more attention to his movements but I was obviously caught very off guard.

What I want to know is should I get a shot? He did puncture the skin and the area is swollen. Thankfully this is my first experience with a nasty dog bite however it means I have no idea if I should get it seen too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

If you haven't gotten a tetanus shot within the last 10 years I would get a booster just in case, glad to hear your friend is working with a behaviourist!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

When was your last tetanus shot OP? Is the puncture wound deep?
    We can't provide medical advice on this site so if you're in anyway concerned you should see your GP for a booster shot to put your mind at ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

If you haven't gotten a tetanus shot within the last 10 years I would get a booster just in case, glad to hear your friend is working with a behaviourist!!

Lol I suggested it after hearing so much about them on boards. He is a lovely dog (being territorial aside) I think with a bit of work with the right behaviourist they will be able to sort the problem. She is lucky it happened with me and not someone who would ovetreact and suggest she get rid of him!

I cant remember the last time I had a tetanus. Think I will call the doctor tomorrow and check and maybe book in an appointment for a booster to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

kaza2710 wrote: »
    She is lucky it happened with me and not someone who would ovetreact and suggest she get rid of him!

She is very lucky to be honest that you're being so understanding. Lots of dogs can be territorial and small dogs seem to "get away with it" much more than larger breeds. My last dog had a massive problem with the postbox and anything being put through it, to the extent we got a warning letter from An Post about her. :o

I'd encourage you to advise your friend that this needs to be nipped (excuse the pun) in the bud asap or the next time (and there will be a next time) the person won't be as understanding as yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

kaza2710 wrote: »

Lol I suggested it after hearing so much about them on boards. He is a lovely dog (being territorial aside) I think with a bit of work with the right behaviourist they will be able to sort the problem. She is lucky it happened with me and not someone who would ovetreact and suggest she get rid of him!

I cant remember the last time I had a tetanus. Think I will call the doctor tomorrow and check and maybe book in an appointment for a booster to be on the safe side.

Yeah you need to speak to your doctor especially if the wound site is reacting. They should probably swab the wound if possible as there are other things besides tetanus such as pasturella that can come from dog bites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Have you got any hibiscrub? Wash it out lots and lots and lots. Dogs mouths are very dirty - not as dirty as humans, a human bite is much more dangerous - but bites can get infected very easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

anniehoo wrote: »
    She is very lucky to be honest that you're being so understanding. Lots of dogs can be territorial and small dogs seem to "get away with it" much more than larger breeds. My last dog had a massive problem with the postbox and anything being put through it, to the extent we got a warning letter from An Post about her. :o

I'd encourage you to advise your friend that this needs to be nipped (excuse the pun) in the bud asap or the next time (and there will be a next time) the person won't be as understanding as yourself.

That is exactly what I said to her, there will be a next time and the guilt would eat her if it was a child!

She called this morning to see how the bite was. She has found two behviourists she really likes. She is going to have them both come out to the house and see how they are with the dog before she decides. The first one is due out this afternoon for his 'working interview' as she calls it. The dog isnt even one year old yet so I think it will be something they can nip in the bud.

Advertisement