Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tony pulis

• 11-03-2013 12:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭

Is there a more ungracious manager in defeat? Hes never beaten he just says they were robbed by the ref, or such player should not have been on the pitch.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fergie is no saint. Tbh no manager is a saint in these situations.

How many times have you heard manager say " the whole ground saw it but not the officials" or quote similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Bad loser, awful connoisseur of route one football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I agree that all managers that do it, but Pulis takes it to a whole new level. Not a pleasant character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Great manager but a very bad loser for sure. He really does look like he wants to kill somebody when he is interviewed after a loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

kryogen wrote: »

Must be lots of losers in....oh... I don't know... pretty much every sport except soccer, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

How many times have you heard manager say " the whole ground saw it but not the officials" or quote similar.

WTF does Fergie have to do with Tony Pulis and his regular excuses :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Never liked him, or his idea of how the game should be played.

He was moaning tonight about a guy 'raising' his gands despite his own player doing it just to the same extent, but failed to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You should watch some post fight interviews from some UFC fighters.

As for Pulis, don't think he will top emailing a picture into MOTD after a dodgy ref decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

i would get banned if i posted my views on Tony Pulis

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Must be lots of losers in....oh... I don't know... pretty much every sport except soccer, tbh.

There are yeah, plenty of them in soccer too.

All sports have bad losers btw, pretty silly to intimate otherwise

WTF does Fergie have to do with Tony Pulis and his regular excuses :confused:

I was talking about managers in general. Fergie got mentioned cause I support them and would hate mention others in case troll got branded about.

Let's be clear. Every manager sees what he wants and says accordingly in interview after a game.

There are yeah, plenty of them in soccer too.

All sports have bad losers btw, pretty silly to intimate otherwise

I wouldn't intimate that at all, but the degree to which managers seem almost unanimously void of circumspection and honesty in the face of defeat is, in my opinion, a unique soccer phenomenon.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I wouldn't intimate that at all, but the degree to which managers seem almost unanimously void of circumspection and honesty in the face of defeat is, in my opinion, a unique soccer phenomenon.

Fair enough, you have a point alright, the deflection used by trying to blame everybody and anybody but their own team/tactics is rampant in soccer, but it is not unique to the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I do not like his style of management it seems very intimidating to his own players, the opposition and the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Turtyturd wrote: »
    As for Pulis, don't think he will top emailing a picture into MOTD after a dodgy ref decision.

Wanna bet
    'Naked' Pulis headbutted Beattie

http://espnfc.com/news/story?id=710211&sec=england&cc=5739

Pulis tried to 'blackmail' chairman

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2001/apr/27/newsstory.sport1

I only realised the other day that he is Welsh.

I always thought he was English. Oops.

Tried to headbutt Beattie while in the nip?

<Pulis instantly reclassified as my favourite manager of all time>

I only realised the other day that he is Welsh.

I always thought he was English. Oops.

I just realised he is Welsh now, after reading your post :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Was listening to either Talksport or Live5 phone show a few weeks ago and there was a Stoke fan giving out saying they've spend over a 100 million since coming into the PL and still can't pass the ball .

He had a point .

4 points in their last 9 games, if they keep this up maybe, just maybe, the premier league will see the back of that Stoke team for a bit.

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Was listening to either Talksport or Live5 phone a few weeks ago and there was a Stoke fan giving out saying they've spend over a 100 million since coming into the PL and still can't pass the ball .

He had a point .

I think he has tried to buy players to play decent football, but always ends up going back to his lump ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

rob316 wrote: »
    Is there a more ungracious manager in defeat? Hes never beaten he just says they were robbed by the ref, or such player should not have been on the pitch.

100% agree.

Bad loser, a whinging stain on English football. The purveyor of the most awful brand of hoofball too. The anti-Christ as far as I'm concerned. There will be much celebrating done by me when Stoke are eventually relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The amount of people(who for the most part support the bigger teams) that hate Stoke is unbelievable. They play the game a way that keeps them in the Premier League and gives them a chance to compete for cups. I say fair play to them and I like to see teams survive in the Premier League even if they don't play beautiful football like Barcelona.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The amount of people(who for the most part support the bigger teams) that hate Stoke is unbelievable. They play the game a way that keeps them in the Premier League and gives them a chance to compete for cups. I say fair play to them and I like to see teams survive in the Premier League even if they don't play beautiful football like Barcelona.

Ah please dont bring Barcelona into it, its nothing to do with them, not many teams play beautiful football in that way.

I dont hate Stoke, I dont hate Pulis, I think he is doing what he thinks he needs to do to keep them in the division and its working, I think he has tried to be more progressive in terms of player recruitment but he wont take the chance that he will end up in relegation trouble long enough to really try play the ball on the deck.

His team can play how they want though, more then one way to play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I can't abide Pulis and the way he sets his team up to go out to win at all costs (by cheating and playing filthy)

They are a dirty team and that's his fault IMO, he is the manager, if he didn't think the way they played was fair then he would change it but doesn't so he must accept the carry on of the team and be the responsible one for putting this mentality into their heads.

A joke of a manager.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Same last week when we beat them at the Brittania. Blamed the referee for allowing our goal (even though Shawcross fouled Carroll) and insisted they should have had a penalty.
    Now I've heard away managers complain about referees giving home town decisions, but then Pulis went on to intimate that referees give decisions against Stoke because of the noise of the home crowd. That really took the biscuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Just because Stoke do what they have to do to survive, does not mean that we should tolerate them. They are awful to watch. They are crude, unsightly and dour. It's all very LCD stuff.

I don't support a big team by the way, I still dislike Stoke and everything their style stands for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

What the fuck does this have to do with Ferguson?

What the fuck does this have to do with Ferguson?

The question asked was is there a more ungracious manager in defeat, and being a sore loser is a charge that gets thrown at Fergie an awful lot so I guess the poster was just using him as an example of someone who could be worse the Pulis for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Don't think you quite understand that saying there chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Probably get slaughtered for this but I think he'd make a good Ireland manager, we'd play puke football for sure but he's well suited to the level of talent available and he'd be well able to get the likes of Darron Gibson or Shane Long going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

dd972 wrote: »
    Probably get slaughtered for this but I think he'd make a good Ireland manager, we'd play puke football for sure but he's well suited to the level of talent available and he'd be well able to get the likes of Darron Gibson or Shane Long going.

we play puke football as it is...it is keeping fans away from going to the games.

pulis is not the answer for ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You can talk about 'brands' of football all you like but its not the long balls that bother me about Stoke.

Its the constant fouling, constant. They get away with so much under the guise of being 'physical'.
    The off the ball incidents.
    The reckless challenges.
    Parking the bus for every away game.
    Parking the bus for every home game against teams outside the relegation zone.
    They are just horrendous to watch, being a Stoke fan must be awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

markie29 wrote: »
    we play puke football as it is...it is keeping fans away from going to the games.

pulis is not the answer for ireland.

The results are keeping the fans away. If Trappatoni's (or even Pulis's) puke football was getting us a 0-0 against Spain or a 1-0 against Germany I guarantee Lansdowne Road would be full every game.

THFC wrote: »
    Don't think you quite understand that saying there chief.

Don't worry about it chief, I'm sure I do.

edit: if you need any further explanation as to the meaning of the phrase, the reasoning and the context I used it in send me a pm as I may not see it on thread.

What the f[SIZE="2"]uc[/SIZE]k does this have to do with Ferguson?

I already answered this ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

grenache wrote: »
    100% agree.

Bad loser, a whinging stain on English football. The purveyor of the most awful brand of hoofball too. The anti-Christ as far as I'm concerned. There will be much celebrating done by me when Stoke are eventually relegated.

Feguson, Wenger are both bad but everytime I turn on sky hes playing the victim and whinging about the ref and opposition players. What about his defenders crap positional sense and failure to track there man?

Ill be honest I dont like stoke or respect them. I find nothing admirable about assaulting opposition players, cause thats what it is, its goes far beyond physcial play. And I would be one who is dismayed at the softness of football these days.

The thing that grinds me the most though is how all the pundits say they play to there strengths. Stoke are what 4/5 years in the PL... still play the same style, that says to me Pulis is an extremely limited manager who can't play some sort of pleasing football.

All they do is pack there half, cut off the supply to the wingers and pump the ball up to the big forwards. I pity there fans having too watch that each week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

rob316 wrote: »
    I give you Neil Warnock. I have yet to see a side managed by him lose a game and it not to be the ref's fault. The guy has no class or grace about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Tony Pulis and Stoke, the less the said better IMO.

Agree with pretty much every negative thing said on here about both.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Middling sides like Fulham, West Brom, Swansea, Southampton, Norwich and Newcastle all don't play like Barcelona either, yet don't attract such justified negativity as Stoke/Pulis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

markie29 wrote: »
    i would get banned if i posted my views on Tony Pulis

I've already had a ban this season for my thoughts on him :(

I think I better avoid this thread because 2 bans because of him would be pretty ridiculous. And make me hate him even more :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I dont mind the way Stoke play in regards to long balls and set pieces. I think there is room for different styles of play. I do take exception to Pulis telling his players to go out and rough teams up which resulted in the likes of Ramsey having his leg broken.

Well we got three pages without the Ramsey incident being mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

One of the Stoke players had the most blatant dive in the first half yesterday looking for a pen (the attempted challenge was even outside the box, the player took 3 strides to get in the box and then fell), yet Pulis said afterwards it was a clear pen.

He makes out his team are a team of saints playing good old fashioned English football and is very quick to call other teams' players 'divers' yet his team are every bit as culpable as the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I really cant say enough bad things about them. Horrible manager that looks like he should be under a bridge scaring passers by. Awful awful team, that bring nothing to the game. Fans that get so pissed off by said style of football that they resort to booing a player for having the temerity to get his leg broken by one of their players.

I am genuinely going to host a party the day they get relegated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I quite like Stoke, earthy full blooded fanbase, Stoke as a place is no St Tropez but the folk there are salt of the earth types probably more Northern than Midlands in their orientation.

I'm old enough to remember sh!te like Luton Town and Crystal Palace being in the top flight.

As for the football they play, remember Sammy Lee's attempt to morph Sam Allerdyce's successful Bolton side into something they weren't that led to their decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Every manager cribs and moans about the ref - it's the best way to deflect attention, and they're as biased as any fan about the decisions to boot.

I think Pulis gets more stick about it because Stoke often seem to get away with bloody murder on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Kerry footballer Paul Galvin has referred to him on Twitter as "condom-head" :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement