Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tony pulis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Kerry footballer Paul Galvin has referred to him on Twitter as "condom-head" :D

Bit ironic, Paul Galvin tearing around in midfield at the Brittania and getting into scraps with Robert Huth in tow, just feels right somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Kerry footballer Paul Galvin has referred to him on Twitter as "condom-head" :D

I don't like tony pulis but I dislike paul galvin so much more !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

rob316 wrote: »
    Is there a more ungracious manager in defeat? Hes never beaten he just says they were robbed by the ref, or such player should not have been on the pitch.

cant stand him - chip on his shoulder bout his long ball , Aussie rules style football - think stoke have helped degrade the quality now seen in EPL - the sooner he goes back to league 1 , where he belongs the better - or perhaps Aussie rules itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

He looks like the old man in the wonga ad or the redneck in Achmed show

Loves a good moan does Tony.

No problem with his team kicking lumps out of the opposition though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Pulis is an asshole, always has been. Stoke are septic, a really awful team to watch & that bloody Brittannia stadium puts a fit of depression over me. Yesterday they didn't attempt to attack Newcastle at all, there's trying to hit teams on the break away from home & then there's Stoke. The only shot they had was the penalty that they scored from.

Every season Pulis comes out & blasts opposition teams but jesus wept he can't deny his team are a joke. Teams like Reading & Southampton are not awash with quality but they actually try & play football. Stoke are like a Rugby team, they just bash people up & launch long throws into the box any chance they get. They're the Donegal of the Premiership, the only problem is everyone hates Stoke.

Tbh, I wouldn't hate Pulis for the style of play with Stoke, the longball stuff etc.

Even though it's dung to watch it works for them.

keano_afc wrote: »
    I am genuinely going to host a party the day they get relegated.

This made me laugh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Motivator wrote: »
    They're the Donegal of the Premiership.

Easy, son - Donegal are a much more successful and attractive team to watch than Stoke!

Tough match yesterday to pick a team to root for. Pulis and Pardew are undoubtedly the 2 most unappealing managers in The PL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Tbh, I wouldn't hate Pulis for the style of play with Stoke, the longball stuff etc.

Even though it's dung to watch it works for them.

Yes, but they'd struggle on a dry balmy night at the Nou Camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

He winds me up but he's done very well with Stoke.

I admire the guy for he has done with the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Easy, son - Donegal are a much more successful and attractive team to watch than Stoke!

Tough match yesterday to pick a team to root for. Pulis and Pardew are undoubtedly the 2 most unappealing managers in The PL.

Pardew is a likeable guy, he shags all around him & what other manager in the Premiership could pull a beard like his off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Pardew is a likeable guy, he shags all around him & what other manager in the Premiership could pull a beard like his off?

There is nothing likeable about Pardew IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd wonder if the window is closing on managers like Pulis and Allardyce. A teams ambition will have a big say in that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

efb wrote: »
    He looks like the old man in the wonga ad or the redneck in Achmed show
    nufcfans_tony_pulis_stoke_manager.jpg

He actually looks like a kid who got a couple of hundred quids worth of gift vouchers for the club shop for his birthday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

He wears a suit to games, changes into a tracksuit for the sideline and back into a suit for the interviews afterwards.

For that alone i hate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pulis is an asshole, always has been. Stoke are septic, a really awful team to watch & that bloody Brittannia stadium puts a fit of depression over me. Yesterday they didn't attempt to attack Newcastle at all, there's trying to hit teams on the break away from home & then there's Stoke. The only shot they had was the penalty that they scored from.

Every season Pulis comes out & blasts opposition teams but jesus wept he can't deny his team are a joke. Teams like Reading & Southampton are not awash with quality but they actually try & play football. Stoke are like a Rugby team, they just bash people up & launch long throws into the box any chance they get. They're the Donegal of the Premiership, the only problem is everyone hates Stoke.
    Ah here, please don't talk rubbish. They played some nice ball at times yesterday and they had more shots on goal than the penalty. I hate people who make things up to suit their argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

I always smile at the TP initials on his lagging jacket...

I'd wonder if the window is closing on managers like Pulis and Allardyce. A teams ambition will have a big say in that though.
    What the hell are you on about? Allardyce is a great manger who has proven in the past that if he is given enough time at a club he will improve them. He did that at Bolton. And he keeps it simple and makes them hard to beat at first while he finds players to add and make them more expansive.

It probably doesn't suit you to remember when Bolton had Djorkaeff and Jay Jay Okocha and played exciting football.

As for Pulis, his teams in the Premier league started out pretty much long ball all the time but over the years he has started to mix it up with a bit more keeping it on the ground now than when they first came up. Another excellent manager who has shown he can keep his team up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ah here, please don't talk rubbish. They played some nice ball at times yesterday and they had more shots on goal than the penalty.

No they didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

He looks ridiculous in his tracksuit and cap. He's a manager in his 50s ffs, he should be wearing a suit like the rest of them.

eagle eye wrote: »
    What the hell are you on about? Allardyce is a great manger who has proven in the past that if he is given enough time at a club he will improve them. He did that at Bolton. And he keeps it simple and makes them hard to beat at first while he finds players to add and make them more expansive.

It probably doesn't suit you to remember when Bolton had Djorkaeff and Jay Jay Okocha and played exciting football.

As for Pulis, his teams in the Premier league started out pretty much long ball all the time but over the years he has started to mix it up with a bit more keeping it on the ground now than when they first came up. Another excellent manager who has shown he can keep his team up.

Both managers have a very low ceiling. The problem is after a number of years in the league not every chairman in the PL will be happy with just avoiding relegation every year. Already talk of West Ham dumping Allaradyce and you can't blame them, they won't be finishing high up the table any time soon. If all Stoke and West Ham want to achieve is 40 points every year then I think both managers are great options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

suppose every team in the EPL adopted Pulis style of anti football , do you think ther would be the interest or money ?

They are rightly at the end of MOTD , nearly every week , as ther product is kat - league of Ireland so much more entertaining. The old Wimbledon Dons were entertairing in comparison to Pulis dour lot

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Is there a more ungracious manager in defeat? Hes never beaten he just says they were robbed by the ref, or such player should not have been on the pitch.

Arsene Wenger says hello ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Zatman wrote: »
    Arsene Wenger says hello ;)

At least hes available for post-match interviews all the time, win lose or draw. Cant say that for some other managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

event wrote: »
    He wears a suit to games, changes into a tracksuit for the sideline and back into a suit for the interviews afterwards.

For that alone i hate him.
    He looks ridiculous in his tracksuit and cap. He's a manager in his 50s ffs, he should be wearing a suit like the rest of them.

He doesn't want to wreck a good suit stomping up and down the touchline, but wears it before and after as he's representing the club.

Seriously, there are more valid reasons to criticise Tony Pulis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

wreck a good suit??
    No one is asking him to roll about in the mud

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

event wrote: »
    wreck a good suit??
    No one is asking him to roll about in the mud

Yeah he is being asked to manage a football team not sit at a desk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Hope Stoke get relegated next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Well, at least he does the post-match interview... something which Mr Ferrguson doesn't do when he's beaten... sore loser! :pac:

• Advertisement

Both managers have a very low ceiling. The problem is after a number of years in the league not every chairman in the PL will be happy with just avoiding relegation every year. Already talk of West Ham dumping Allaradyce and you can't blame them, they won't be finishing high up the table any time soon. If all Stoke and West Ham want to achieve is 40 points every year then I think both managers are great options.
    Sam Allardyce teams have finished 8th, 6th, 8th, 7th and 10th in his last five full seasons in charge of a Premier League club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I have to say, i really like Stoke and Pulis. I love the way people hate them so much, that for me makes them attractive.

I understand why they are hated, don't get me wrong. As a Liverpool fan, when Pulis comes out after a match when his centre back has stamped on Luis Suarez's chest without punishment and complains that Suarez has dived just to divert the attention away, i get it.

But i really love the way people who hate Stoke City also hate Barcelona!! But then they'll like Real Madrid with the likes of Pepe in the squad as opposed to Busquets!!

Good times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

One thing that often goes without mention is that stoke have actually spent a fair whack on transfers over the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

One thing that often goes without mention is that stoke have actually spent a fair whack on transfers over the past few years.

Deep down in his soul, if he has one, Pulis must find this to be the most worrying aspect of his tenure. Around £100m has been spent on transfers within the last few seasons with little improvement made to either the team's performances or level of quality. If anything, they have become even more reliant on cynical play recently.

He probably curses clubs like Swansea. They have spent considerably less, play more attractive football and have laid the foundations for further improvement in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Hope stoke get relegated this season!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Indeed, great point. This is something that rarely gets mentioned. Pulis has spent massive amounts of money and seen little to no improvement in his team. He's only just stopped harping on about how they were in Europe a couple of seasons ago. They've also recouped pretty much nothing from their outlay on players. As the saying goes, you cant put lipstick on a pig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well I like Stoke and I would argue they play football correctly. Football should be physical and combative and Stoke are a throwback to a time before the lawmakers started to ruin the game. These days people genuinely seem to want lessor teams to come out and try and play against technically superior opposition and take their beating like good little boys. Stoke close up, keep it compact and hit you ****ing hard. Like his team and their footballing philosophy, Pulis is hard. No give. This is the way it should be.

Obviously the Man Utds and Barcelonas of this world don't need to take lessons or inspiration from Stoke, but most other teams could use elements of their package. It would do Arsenal no harm whatsoever to have a more hard nose and steely mentality. Liverpool under Rodgers knock it about but have been soft as ****e all season.

Pulis has done a fantastic job there and long may it last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    hit you ****ing hard. Like his team and their footballing philosophy, Pulis is hard. No give. This is the way it should be.

And this is the way it shouldn't be:

Whelan made another filthy tackle the next game iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Well I like Stoke and I would argue they play football correctly. Football should be physical and combative and Stoke are a throwback to a time before the lawmakers started to ruin the game. These days people genuinely seem to want lessor teams to come out and try and play against technically superior opposition and take their beating like good little boys. Stoke close up, keep it compact and hit you ****ing hard. Like his team and their footballing philosophy, Pulis is hard. No give. This is the way it should be.

Obviously the Man Utds and Barcelonas of this world don't need to take lessons or inspiration from Stoke, but most other teams could use elements of their package. It would do Arsenal no harm whatsoever to have a more hard nose and steely mentality. Liverpool under Rodgers knock it about but have been soft as ****e all season.

I dont agree but you're entitled to your opinion. Swansea show that you can compete with the big boys playing a much more atractive brand of football on a squad put together on a fraction of the cost of that Stoke team. They even have a trophy to show for it now. I certainly wouldnt agree that they play football correctly. They play a brand that suits them and their limited objectives.

• Advertisement

How has he done a fantastic job? His ROI is absolutely shocking. Over the last five years stoke have a net spend of £60m, 3rd over-all and they've achieved very little in that time. I'm happy to see him stay on, if Stoke actually had a decent manager and invested that money wisely they could become a decent threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

keano_afc wrote: »
    I dont agree but you're entitled to your opinion. Swansea show that you can compete with the big boys playing a much more atractive brand of football on a squad put together on a fraction of the cost of that Stoke team. They even have a trophy to show for it now. I certainly wouldnt agree that they play football correctly. They play a brand that suits them and their limited objectives.

Swansea and West Brom are very much exceptions in that their plan is not necessarily to throw money at the manager to keep them in the Premier.
    Stoke didnt always spend big but it gets harder to compete and they started to spend more to ensure they stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Anybody see Match of the Day where they couldn't find the Chamakh diving incident to show? Said they searched the whole 90 minutes and don't know which incident it was :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd be very surprised if they are actuwlly fined.

Most likely a slap on the wrist behind closed doors while Pulis goes public with the fine angle to keep the referees and media onside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Whatever about diving he is doing a great job with palace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

A close second after Rodgers for manager of the year imo. What he has done with Palace is remarkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fantastic job palace couldn't of hired anyone better. They pulled the plug on Holloway at the right time they knew it wasn't working.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Just looking at the table earlier.....he's done a miraculous job in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

People have always been over-critical of his days at Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Fantastic job palace couldn't of hired anyone better. They pulled the plug on Holloway at the right time they knew it wasn't working.

Holloway resigned as he thought someone else could get more out of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement