Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tony pulis

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Have to say I had them as still going down under Pulis, he has managed to pull it out of the bag though.

Fantastic job which should see his cv still unblemished by relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

People have always been over-critical of his days at Stoke.

I wouldn't go that far. He did a decent job at Stoke but the style of play was awful and he spent millions with very little return. He was rightly criticised.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

Why does he do all his press conferences standing up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Done a brilliant job with a limited squad. The tricky part for him in the past has been spending money so we'll see how he gets on this summer. But seriously, an amazing achievement to keep that squad up from that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

At the start of the season it looked like they were going to be the new Derby 07-08. He turned the team from a Derby County to a team that has that could have the ability to get a result in any game in the season. They even gave City a good go at the Etihad and beat Chelsea. I dont think i have seen such a turnaround in the Premier League over a single season. They went from a team that looked like they were nowhere near a PL team (and possibly the worst PL team of all time) to a team that could finish 10th in the space of 5 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

He bought excellently in January aswell

Only for Liverpool and Rodgers, he surely would have won Manager of the Year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

He bought excellently in January aswell

Only for Liverpool and Rodgers, he surely would have won Manager of the Year

Martinez?

Eight Ball wrote: »
    Martinez?

Has improved Everton but lets see where they finish, could still finish 6th which is where they finished last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Surprised at the lack of love for Steve Bruce

AdamD wrote: »
    Surprised at the lack of love for Steve Bruce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

keano_afc wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far. He did a decent job at Stoke but the style of play was awful and he spent millions with very little return. He was rightly criticised.
    Very little in return? Jaysus.

Been in the Premier League since 2008 and will be again with pretty much a Pulis side. Got to a bloody FA Cup final too without the brilliance of Emerson Boyce. Had a decent Europa League run where they should've beaten Valencia despite putting out a nothing team.

Don't get me wrong, Hughes is doing similar with more attractive football but it wouldn't be happening if it wasn't for a fellow Welshman who could pass as yer serious dry****e uncle. He's also a bit more loyal than Hughes which will be proven again soonish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Sir Tony Pulis. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Tony sent me a telegram saying my previous post was the reason for the win last night. What a class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Manager of the year for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Yep. They were nailed on to go down with one of the lowest points totals in premier league history when he took over, given the mess Holloway had left him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

he's now been linked directly to the "leaking" issue. Cardiff are saying that the communication between the two clubs included a claim that the Palace guy was "under pressure from Pulis" to get the team. Solksjaer brought it up after the game and said Pulis said that he didn't ask for it, but Solksjaer claims that Pulis said he knew it happened. Pulis has said "it is pure speculation until the team-sheet comes in" and that "I'm never, ever convinced what team we are going to play against until that team-sheet comes through the door." without ever saying that he didn't see it. They want Palace deducted 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The team sheet stuff is a nothing story on the part of Pulis, IMO. Managers always put their guys "under pressure" to get information on the opposition. Fair play to them if they were able to make use of their links to get it.

If there's a rat in the Cardiff setup willing to give the team sheet to the opposition then that says more about Cardiff than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Paully D wrote: »
    The team sheet stuff is a nothing story on the part of Pulis, IMO. Managers always put their guys "under pressure" to get information on the opposition. Fair play to them if they were able to make use of their links to get it.

If there's a rat in the Cardiff setup willing to give the team sheet to the opposition then that says more about Cardiff than anything else.

I'd presume that that kind of behaviour is widespread in the sport but that doesn't make it right. If there's enough evidence to prove that Palace and Pulis went about trying to get the opposition team sheet and succeeded, they should be sanctioned imo. What should the sanction be? I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Paully D wrote: »

There are rules. If you get caught breaking them, you should be punished. Otherwise why have rules at all?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Sugarlumps wrote: »

I think in most other years he'd walk it. It's difficult to look past Rodgers though if Liverpool go on to win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Blatter wrote: »
    I'd presume that that kind of behaviour is widespread in the sport but that doesn't make it right. If there's enough evidence to prove that Palace and Pulis went about trying to get the opposition team sheet and succeeded, they should be sanctioned imo. What should the sanction be? I'm not so sure.

What isn't right is someone giving the team sheet to a fellow manager before it is announced . If pulis and palace pulled it off then fair play !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

What isn't right is someone giving the team sheet to a fellow manager before it is announced . If pulis and palace pulled it off then fair play !

I doubt very much someone just decided to run to him with the team sheet of their own accord. If there was an effort made from Palace to obtain it well then they should face sanction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Gotta love the media.....chap was a footballing neanderthal 2 years ago now hes manager of the year and possible Man United manager.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Gotta love the media.....chap was a footballing neanderthal 2 years ago now hes manager of the year and possible Man United manager.

Possible Man United manager? Please link to whoever mentioned that so I can have a good laugh. :D

It seems Gunnarsson is being blamed for leaking the team news now:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/ole-gunnar-solskjaer-defends-aron-gunnarsson-after-cardiff-midfielder-is-accused-of-leaking-team-to-crystal-palace-9269492.html

Solskjaer and his team-mates are defending him. What a strange club Cardiff have become.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

got a long ball merchant tag at Stoke as he had no pace in the team. Palace break at pace as they have the players. more then one string to his bow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

earlytobed wrote: »
    got a long ball merchant tag at Stoke as he had no pace in the team. Palace break at pace as they have the players. more then one string to his bow

That was his own fault surely? He was in charge for long enough and was given enough money to blow to get pace in if he'd wanted it.

That was his own fault surely? He was in charge for long enough and was given enough money to blow to get pace in if he'd wanted it.

I think Pulis has always been quite poor in the transfer market. Maybe a director of football would suit him?

5 wins in a row now, superb to be fair. When's the last time a team outside the top 10 won 5 in a row? Can't have happened too often over the years.
    I think Pulis has always been quite poor in the transfer market. Maybe a director of football would suit him?

He doesn't at all strike me as the type of manager who would work with one. He's very much a "my way or the highway" bloke IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Possible Man United manager? Please link to whoever mentioned that so I can have a good laugh. :D

101greatestgoals had it from some newspaper

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

He deserves manager of the season no doubt about it.
    Rodgers will probably get it though.

jane82 wrote: »
    He deserves manager of the season no doubt about it.
    Rodgers will probably get it though.

I dunno. No team has won't the title after finishing as low as 7th the previous year in the past 30 years. No team outside the top 3 the previous season has won the league in the Premier League era.

In odds terms, Rodgers has the more significant feat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Liverpool have to travel to Palace. If Liverpool lose to Chelsea and Palace - which is possible - and Palace beat Man City, I think he'll be a very serious contender for Manager of the Year, but Chelsea or Man City would have to pip Liverpool for the title.

Advertisement