Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing Business - Vouchers

Options
  • 11-03-2013 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just looking for some quick advice and opinions here.

I operate a small service-based business part-time, and back in December we sold some gift vouchers for our services via our website. Some of these have been redeemed, but five or six have yet to be. Due to a number of issues and factors however, we are closing the business in about six weeks time.

While the number of people with vouchers is very small, I don't want anyone to feel they have been cheated. I am thinking of emailing those who purchased the vouchers, explaining the situation, and asking that they advise the recipients to book in to redeem their voucher before we close. We will do everything we can to facilitate everyone in these situation.

Does this sound like the most appropriate thing to do in this situation? Also (not seeking legal advice as such) does anyone have an idea of how I stand if someone demands a refund? I can still provide the exact service they bought a voucher for, but just within a shortened timeframe. I'm just trying to plan ahead in the event someone asks.

All opinions and advice welcome.

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonua

Hi Dave, I for one would be impressed to get an email from a company to tell me to use my voucher before the business winds up. I think it is quite honourable (recent bad example of HMV springs to mind).

Best of luck moving on to bigger and better things!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Similarily, I think it's honourable to take the effort to contact the buyers and would do it as soon as possible.

If you have the capacity to offer them a little extra (10% value?) to compensate for the change in validity of the vouchers (they would probably have expected 12 months), they will probably think very highly of you next time they need something similar.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Many thanks for the comments folks - I emailed the customers concerned today and two have got back to me saying they are grateful for letting them know.

@edanto I am going to do exactly that as an expression of gratitude for facilitating the request.

Thanks,

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

ImDave wrote: »
    While the number of people with vouchers is very small, I don't want anyone to feel they have been cheated. I am thinking of emailing those who purchased the vouchers, explaining the situation, and asking that they advise the recipients to book in to redeem their voucher before we close. We will do everything we can to facilitate everyone in these situation.
    Sorry that I can't advise you, but I think it's very much the honourable thing to do and well done you for doing it.

Advertisement