Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation on ale Kit

Options
  • 11-03-2013 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm thinking of starting another kit brew soon, I previously did the coppers cerveza and found it fairly easy and tasty. And now I'm thinking of trying out another one, but I'm thinking an ale this time. After spending a summer where ale is aplenty I've developed quite a liking to it my favourites over there were mainly the Goose Island 312 urban wheat ale and green line as i was in Chicago. And my favourite back home is 8 degrees howling gale ale. So I was wondering what the closest Kit would be to them.
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The ale kits tend to be a bit darker than the like of Howling Gale. I've really liked the Coopers Brewmaster IPA, though it's not much like the beers you mentioned.

If the lager kit worked out well for you you could try doing it again and dry hopping it: add 20 or 30g of something like Citra or Centennial a week before bottling. It is really a blonde ale rather than a true lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joctcl

Coopers blonde ale is a good base, 8 Degrees uses"American Chinook, Amarillo and Centennial" in Howling Gale.
    The first one would be great for an aggressive, in your face flavour but is used more for bittering, small doses of the latter two in dry hopping for aroma should get you close.
    They are classed as bring flowery, spicy and citrus-like from Centenial and Amarillo.
    Amarillo also bringing a distinct orange bouquet, I don't like it personally as it turns my beer into a cocktail! each to their own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Is it hard to add hops to a kit brew, I've never tried it, but it is something I want to get into. Do . Basically just chuck them into the wort as it's fermenting and then filter the beer before bottling?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I had great results with the Cooper's English Bitter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

calnand wrote: »
    Is it hard to add hops to a kit brew, I've never tried it, but it is something I want to get into. Do . Basically just chuck them into the wort as it's fermenting and then filter the beer before bottling?
    You want the first big rush of fermentation to have finished, so I find the second week of a two-week fermentation works well. They'll mostly float near the surface so there's no real need to try and filter or remove them at bottling time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joctcl

Beernuts right let all your primary finish otherwise all your aroma goes up the chimney, then its whatever you want leafwise into a sanitised muslin bag or SS tea ball, weighted with a sanitised marble, or just chuck your pellets straight in but will need to filter after 7-14 days. I use her tights, sanitised!, wrapped over the siphon with an elastic band, you guessed it also sanitised!
    If you beer tastes grassy, you have left them in too long and you will have to let your brew sit 2-3 months to lose that flavour.

Advertisement