Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Ah, thanks.

I thought that because I could read the words on the site in English, that I was already viewing the English site :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FLOODY777

Been upgrading weapons a lot...

Slowly working through 8* Village. Faced and captured the infamous Brachydios last night. Enjoyed the fight very much (after an initial trial run to learn his attack patterns and how to get rid of the slime!).

Interesting options re: Weapons and armour after that. Think I'll ignore, for now, as I need to farm a certain monster from 9* to upgrade my main weapon! I'll then go back and make 'Brachy' weep even more!

Never a dull moment in this game! FE: Awakening is crying for attention since I bought it on day 1! Haven't been this gripped to a game since Demon's/Dark Souls! :D

FLOODY777 wrote: »
    Never a dull moment in this game! FE: Awakening is crying for attention since I bought it on day 1! Haven't been this gripped to a game since Demon's/Dark Souls! :D

I didn't buy FE:A because I knew I wouldn't play it for a while until my initial MH enthusiasm dies down. Fully intend to pick it up though.

MH and the "Souls" games get compared really often, as they're apparently both similar enough, and are both Japanese devs having a crack at making a Western style RPG. I own Dark Souls but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I wonder will I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Finally some action in this thread! :D

Fire emblem is suffering same fate in my 3ds lads. I don't even ever bother quoting mh3. I just close 3ds down when I finished and then pip it up next day and continue :D. So fire emblem got only 3h from me on day I got it and went back for now. It's that it is a bad game, it's Damn great, it's just MH3 is like super pure crack! Way too addictive.

looks like Wii u mh3 bundle dropped a wee bit in price. Hopefully it will drop a bit more! :D first I need to get TV for me new mancave. Which I hope to sort out in the near future. Then most likely I give in and get Wii u for monster Hunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Went back and fought Low Rank Arzuros because I needed a brace to make a Switch Axe, poor thing died in a few seconds.

• Advertisement

Went back and fought Low Rank Arzuros because I needed a brace to make a Switch Axe, poor thing died in a few seconds.

Its funny how some of the scary challenging monsters become so.... Cute and easy after some time. Even funnier when your gear is not that much improved :D.
    So far rathian is just like g. Jaggi for me :D. Lagiacrus is a pet too now lol.

I'd rate Arzuros pretty much exactly how he's placed in the village quest order.

Slightly harder than G.Jaggi, but below Qurupeco.

Considering he was the first "new" monster I fought coming from Tri, he was a massive disappointment difficulty-wise.

Although that one time I got honey-piledrivered was pretty funny. I killed buckletloads of them in freehunt before I knew they had that attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Arzuros feels like a good training-wheels monster - there feels like a distinct step up from the G. Jaggi, Baggi and Wroggi to the other monsters, where Azuros - while weak - moves like a few of the other stronger monsters and his attacks have a bit more variety in terms of reach, sweep and effect. G J/B/W felt a bit one dimensional once you learned not to stand directly in front of them.

Re: WiiU and 3DS
    Asda have the WiiU 8GB and 16GB at prices that, even if you factor the download cost of MH3 at a whopping €60 (amazon and zavvi prices and even Gamestop are far more reasonable), still bring it in way below what you'll pay almost anywhere else. Something like £149 and £199 respectively - If you can swing the delivery and you really want a WiiU it's the way to go.

If you've already bought MH3 and Fire Emblem, you're 1 game away from getting another game (from a list of 8 mostly respectable games) free, there's a thread in the Nintendo forum about it. Not saying you *have* to buy Luigi's Mansion 2, but.... :)

Bloody G2/HR7 quests just won't let me snipe the important quests, haha. They're directly countering the impatient way I've been playing.

I did every single quest available to me at that level, which unlocked ONE singular other quest, which I beat to unlock ONE MORE singular quest.

HR7 is going to be the only level of game difficulty where I actually end up doing all the quests, just because it's so stubborn about me trying to skip it.

Also I'm hearing lots of rumbling online that the "Cruel King of the Sea" DLC quest is one of the first truly hard quests, with full teams of 4 experienced hunters coming away with failure after failure after failure.

I dunno what it rewards, or why they think it's so hard, but I'm looking forward to solo-ing it later :pac:

Finally got a plate, needed for the next Rathalos hammer, then I realised I need 2 plates for the upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FLOODY777

Unlocked 9* village quests a few minutes ago... The 8* 'Urgent Quest' is very full on. Went straight for the kill. I'd already used a Pitfall Trap to bomb him. When he limped...I nearly used a Shock Trap (but thought I'd only be helping him!). Result!!!

Got 2 more plates in the quest after the last one, then me and my brother took on the HR4-5 Urgent, then we took on
    Deviljho
    , he's intimidating but actually very fun to fight.

Lads, how does online work on Wii u? Do you have to know hunters to hunt with them or there are public lobbies? how does communication work?

Lads, how does online work on Wii u? Do you have to know hunters to hunt with them or there are public lobbies? how does communication work?

You select a server, then gate(I think that's what it's called, haven't played online in ages), then you either join a room, host one or search for a specific room.

You can use either voice (through the gamepad) or keyboard (either physical or touch).

Well, had some more play time. Unlocked the higher tier village quests. So can I get more lower tier or I need to move on to those new ones?

So anyway... Those new quests started to offer me some very high tier armour sets. Things is those new sets are stupidly high defence rating. Makes all the other armour from before look completely useless... Even skills are quite nice. Am I missing anything?

And I met pink rathian for the first time... What a DICK!!! Knocked me out twice before I captured him. What a nasty thing. I need to get some better lightning weapon to take that dick on easier. Thing is getting lagiacrus horns is a pain in a hole.

Well, had some more play time. Unlocked the higher tier village quests. So can I get more lower tier or I need to move on to those new ones?

From this point on, the answers to all your questions are pretty much: "Whatever you prefer". There is hundreds and hundreds of hours of content to tackle. Approach it in whatever way suits yourself.
    So anyway... Those new quests started to offer me some very high tier armour sets. Things is those new sets are stupidly high defence rating. Makes all the other armour from before look completely useless... Even skills are quite nice. Am I missing anything?

Not all HR sets are better than LR ones. But "Better" is an incredibly subjective thing based on what skills you like. If an armourset has 5 skills you love, but I think they're 5 crap skills, we're going to disagree on whether it's better.

Remember as well that now that you're on HR, you can mine new levels of armourspheres that will let you upgrade your old LR armour to have defenses on par with the HR stuff.

Since I didn't want any of the early HR armours, I just did a bunch of the harvest tour quests and mined armourspheres to up the defenses of LR sets so I could continue to use them until I got to the HR monsters I DID want gear from.
    And I met pink rathian for the first time... What a DICK!!! Knocked me out twice before I captured him. What a nasty thing. I need to get some better lightning weapon to take that dick on easier. Thing is getting lagiacrus horns is a pain in a hole.

Yeah I think Pink Rathian is one of the biggest jumps in difficulty between regular version and subspecies, since I find regular Rathian a breeze.

Definitely a way bigger jump than from Los to Azure Los.

Monster Hunter Online will be released in WEST too! FUECK YEAH!

http://mmogamecentral.com/tecent-games-confirm-cryengine-3-developement-of-monster-hunter-online/

That's an old post with no sources, so don't get too excited yet.

That being said, I'm not really getting hyped for it, yeah it's a Monster Hunter MMO that could come out over here, but it's a Chinese F2P MMO, so I have mixed feelings.

That's an old post with no sources, so don't get too excited yet.

That being said, I'm not really getting hyped for it, yeah it's a Monster Hunter MMO that could come out over here, but it's a Chinese F2P MMO, so I have mixed feelings.

Indeed. I am getting a bit sick off free to play games, where they make threadmills freaking stupidly huge and then again 50eu wont even buy you half of content.
    On the other hand, something is better then nothing. Still looking forward to MH4, but i wonder how long will we wait for it to be localised for west. Would we see it in summer 2014?

Indeed. I am getting a bit sick off free to play games, where they make threadmills freaking stupidly huge and then again 50eu wont even buy you half of content.
    On the other hand, something is better then nothing. Still looking forward to MH4, but i wonder how long will we wait for it to be localised for west. Would we see it in summer 2014?

Hopefully, although some of the new stuff in the trailers for MH4 looks a bit mad.

• Advertisement

Hopefully, although some of the new stuff in the trailers for MH4 looks a bit mad.

I did not liked the whole climbing thing. Looked a bit scripted. Not buying the whole "more story" thing. Its Monster hunter, not Final Fantasy. MH3 village thing has enough story for such game. :p
    I did loved the whole Shield transfer in to big ass weapon. Something like Switch axe. Awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Lads do any of you guys know if Gamestop still stock the 3DSXL bundle version?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

How long does it take to get its hooks into you? Played about an hour (mainly tutorial and simple village quests). When does the good stuff start? :)

Mr E wrote: »
    How long does it take to get its hooks into you? Played about an hour (mainly tutorial and simple village quests). When does the good stuff start? :)

I think the new players can actually answer this better than me, but I would think it would be the first monster you actually find challenging, and the thought/preparation you need to use to overcome it.

Shadowhearth should be the expert on this topic :D

I think the new players can actually answer this better than me, but I would think it would be the first monster you actually find challenging, and the thought/preparation you need to use to overcome it.

Shadowhearth should be the expert on this topic :D

I am only the expert of getting my nipples twisted off in MH3! :D Rathian from Expert quests really slaped me around last night!

As for when it picks up? I would bet the first encounter with G. Jaggi. He is the first one to show you a finger and after that it starts to get interesting as you get more of a quests to kill/capture a big monster, then mmorpg type kill 10 little monsters.
    When it really kicks off? When you see with your own eyes that each monster lets you to build new set of armour or new weapons. After each kill you will be running like a small child to your blacksmith and shout " What can I do now?! ".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The G Jaggi is a great moment, but I think you need to have your Rs handed to you by a monster at least once, then dust yourself off, spend a couple of fraught minutes watching for an opening and return the favour. For me that happened with the Lagombi port quest - which I failed the first time due to my weapon having no green sharpness at all and his hide being harder than Ironside's bum. Losing, crawling off, then (in my case) trapping a handful of Arzuros for bits for an upgraded sword locked me into this game.

There was a titanic struggle which ultimately I lost

There was a Rocky-style montage moment of me smacking the crap out of a lesser beastie and forging my sword

There was a moment of realisation : Hang on, wasn't I scared of Arzuros 20 minutes ago, and now I'm treating him like a Tesco self-checkout lane for Long Swords?

And finally, there was a rematch, a showdown, a reckoning and a frenzied pile-on to carve some choice cuts from my nemesis who, like Arzuros, is now just a shelf I go to if I fancy some furry boots.

Facing the Purple Ludroth in the Arena and chopping his tail off was another "oh YEAH!" moment for me, mainly because he had walked all over me in no time flat the first 2 times, and at the time I hadn't really faced too many larger monsters. I really didn't think I was going to survive the fight, but then you realise you *are* hurting him, you are doing damage and he is going to fall, all you have to do is hang in there and keep swinging.

If you've got a G. Jaggi, Qurupeco and Royal Ludroth hanging over your mantle piece, you've tried a few weapons and settled on a favourite and you've chosen, farmed and forged at least one armour set and you're *still* not feeling it, I'm not sure you ever will.

Banjo wrote: »
    Hang on, wasn't I scared of Arzuros 20 minutes ago, and now I'm treating him like a Tesco self-checkout lane for Long Swords?

This made me laugh out loud :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OK I started playing at midnight last night in bed and had to stop at 3am when my battery light started blinking. Good sign, I think. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    OK I started playing at midnight last night in bed and had to stop at 3am when my battery light started blinking. Good sign, I think. :)

My average play time session of MH3 on 3ds
    5h 24min
    :pac:

that thing can suck the life out of you! I am really wanting Wii U more and more just for this god damn game! :mad: No wonde it boosted Wii U sales by 125% in europe and 300% in France alone!

• Advertisement

G-Rank!

Advertisement