Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Akingbade

Hey guys, is there an shops in ireland that is selling mh3u on 3ds ? All the shops ive checked so far are stocked out or dont have it to sell :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Akingbade wrote: »
    Hey guys, is there an shops in ireland that is selling mh3u on 3ds ? All the shops ive checked so far are stocked out or dont have it to sell :(

Funny enough my local gamestop in small town had 3 copies and those were all sold. I never knew I have such respected gamers in this town! :D

Funny enough my local gamestop in small town had 3 copies and those were all sold. I never knew I have such respected gamers in this town! :D
    haha, enough people for a monster hunter local play :)

Akingbade wrote: »
    haha, enough people for a monster hunter local play :)

Aye, i need to make a posters in Town, which say: " I know you bought Monster Hunter 3 last Friday. Meet me outside of tescos every friday at 8pm. dont be late or i will skin you!" :D

Aye, i need to make a posters in Town, which say: " I know you bought Monster Hunter 3 last Friday. Meet me outside of tescos every friday at 8pm. dont be late or i will skin you!" :D

Poster:
    "I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have the money. But what I do have is a particular game; a game i have acquired from gamestop. A game that makes me a warrior, just like you. If you want to join me and hunt the monsters of the abyss, that'll be the end of it. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

I couldnt help myself, too much time :p

• Advertisement

Well playing tonight again. I can't believe I am ignoring my all other games on PC etc and just going in to my bed laying down and playing my 3ds lol.

So I killed a good few of those oversized lizards. I am killing them very easy now. Finally upgraded my weapon and a few gear pieces. Will have to go against those lizards now. Something tells me I will own them! :D

The next two star quest is to capture Alive monster. I don't like the sound of it. Something tells me it will be a pain in a hole.

Anyway, off for a wee and back to stick my face in to 3ds :)

Captured! Woot! From second try. Sounded quite complicated, but I did it.

Question: when monsters run away, do they restore part of the health? Was quite annoying when bastard ran off and you need to set up a trap. You can carry only one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

We had a little offline 3DS Monster Hunter meetup in Dublin city today at a coffee shop, I think it went well.

We blitzed through the low rank Port quests in fairly short order and got onto High Rank in no time at all :eek:
    Captured! Woot! From second try. Sounded quite complicated, but I did it.

Question: when monsters run away, do they restore part of the health? Was quite annoying when bastard ran off and you need to set up a trap. You can carry only one too.

They can do. It's not a lot, but sometimes it can change them from capturable to not-capturable by just a hair. The biggest difference it can make if they have time to rest or eat is that they restore stamina so they're not so tired anymore.

Random FYI trivia on capturing: throwing tranquiliser bombs counts as a status attack and is affected by status skills. So if you ever wear a gearset that gives the negative "Status Attack down" skill you'll need to throw three bombs instead of two.

Circle pad pro arrived this morning!

I was quite happy to see the Post van, but my boner died when i sow my package.. It was ripped open, destroyed and squished... Only some minor damage to the box of circle pad pro, but the small lego set that was coming in the package was completely destroyed ( the box ). :mad: First time I get such crap from amazon, though i cant really blame them for awesome Post handling skills...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Brachydios is the first wall me and my brother have encountered, he's fun to fight but we eventually get kitty carted a third time and have to start over. Anyone have any tips for me and my brother? I am good with a hammer and a lance while he's good with hammer, dual sword and long sword.

• Advertisement

I'm using spoiler tags below, not because this game has a plot, just because I don't want to corrupt the experiences of people playing it. If you get your fun from figuring stuff out for yourself, or being surprised when a monster does something unexpected (both true for me), then don't highlight the key words, and just check back on this post later in the game. If you don't care then rock on.
    Brachydios
    is actually my first failed quest. I almost put that more down to me being a cocky sh1t thinking I could go through the whole game in low rank armour and without consumables than him having a significant difficulty. But he IS definitely hard enough and fights weirdly enough to deserve special mention.

As someone who played a lot of Tri, him and
    Duramboros
    are the two monster who gave me pause.

I think I could beat him on retry by adding only one skill:
    Antiseptic - Immunity to "soiled" status and slimeblight.
    It's only a ten point skill, and has gems that give +2 in it, so it would be super easy to add to almost any gear set. I only noticed it as a skill because I had a +6 charm in my equip box.

Only reason I haven't tried already is that my circle pad pro broke after only 2 weeks of use, and it's demoralisingly difficult to adapt back to playing with only one analog stick. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I'm using spoiler tags below, not because this game has a plot, just because I don't want to corrupt the experiences of people playing it. If you get your fun from figuring stuff out for yourself, or being surprised when a monster does something unexpected (both true for me), then don't highlight the key words, and just check back on this post later in the game. If you don't care then rock on.
    Brachydios
    is actually my first failed quest. I almost put that more down to me being a cocky sh1t thinking I could go through the whole game in low rank armour and without consumables than him having a significant difficulty. But he IS definitely hard enough and fights weirdly enough to deserve special mention.

As someone who played a lot of Tri, him and
    Duramboros
    are the two monster who gave me pause.

I think I could beat him on retry by adding only one skill:
    Antiseptic - Immunity to "soiled" status and slimeblight.
    It's only a ten point skill, and has gems that give +2 in it, so it would be super easy to add to almost any gear set. I only noticed it as a skill because I had a +6 charm in my equip box.

Only reason I haven't tried already is that my circle pad pro broke after only 2 weeks of use, and it's demoralisingly difficult to adapt back to playing with only one analog stick. :(

Yeah, Brachydios was our second failed quest together (first was Lagiacrus because we slipped up a bit), we eventually got him by
    my brother slashing his legs with his longsword and me doing the usual and smashing his head with my hammer, then sticking to his sides when he is angry

You and your bro's teamwork sounds solid.

I find teaming in this game series to be a lot of fun. Even just two people using weapons that compliment each other can make a tremendous difference compared to either one playing alone.

I'm glad I was able to unlock more Tanzia port arena quests, since I'm a sucker for arenas, and 3 was definitely not enough for me.

All Tri's arenas had a hard cap of 2 people participating, but it looks like these ones might vary more than that (unconfirmed yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

So I've decided to take the plunge. Picking this up and trading my 3DS for an XL. Looking forward to getting stuck in.

And sure if I find its not for me, I'll have a shiny new XL for Fire Emblem. :)

I know I am not advanced as you lads, but I still enjoy nooning around :).

I am doing those village quests. Almost done with 3 stars. Killed twice gaggi? The poison lizard thing. Looks like my next target will be fire based beast. So I want to try to get some fire resistance gear as Jaggi set is -9 fire res!!!
    I am still a bit confused with skill system. Any way to check the whole skills? Anything I need to look after?

And do I stick with doing village quests for now? Or do I go to port? I am still very noobish and gear is crap!

Edit: where do I find super size dung?! I need to improve farm, but I can't find any :(

I broke down my wall

/flex

Onto HR4 I go
    I know I am not advanced as you lads, but I still enjoy nooning around :).

Don't worry about it, these games have a very slow and gradual learning curve. Not because any of us are stupid, but because the in-game tutorials and mechanics explanations are either terrible, or completely absent.

I am doing those village quests. Almost done with 3 stars. Killed twice gaggi? The poison lizard thing. Looks like my next target will be fire based beast. So I want to try to get some fire resistance gear as Jaggi set is -9 fire res!!!
    I am still a bit confused with skill system. Any way to check the whole skills? Anything I need to look after?

Third page of the status screen will tell you what all the skills on your armour do, and how many points you need to unlock them.

Monsters don't really have "in-built" elements (maybe with one or two exceptions) to their attacks. So if a fire monster hits you normally, you'll only take regular damage. Your armour weakness/resistance will only come into play if the fire monster hits you with a fire attack specifically (again, like Pokemon).

What I did after Great Jaggi was make a full set of Great Wroggi armour (probably the poison lizard you're talking about). Is has resistance to fire and weakness to ice. It's natural skills for a full set are:
    • Shakalaka Rally (Makes the Shakalaka stronger)
    • Razor Sharp (You can hit twice as much with your weapon before you need to sharpen it)
    • Negate Poison (You can't be poisoned)

The other interesting thing about this gear is that every single piece has a slot, and with 5 pieces in a set, that means you can add any skill to this armour for which the 1 slot decorations give you +2 points each.

For example, I put a +2 Perception jewel in each of my slots, which when added up to +10 Perception gave me Capture Guru (If you have paintballed a monster, it's icon will flash on the map when it is capturable).

So this was a pretty great set for fighting fire monsters, fighting poison monsters, using weapons with small amounts of green sharpness, and easily passing "Capture" quests.

Protip: Register armour sets after you've made them at your box, in order to easily switch between them. It even fully moves around all your decorations and charms! This is a new feature that wasn't in Tri and is an amazing timesaver.
    And do I stick with doing village quests for now? Or do I go to port? I am still very noobish and gear is crap!

Check out the port. No harm in it. It's the multiplayer area, so since the quests are intended for more people, you're likely to find Monsters you've already fought harder than in the village, BUT the port gives you 4 players worth of supply items on quests that can take the stress off your economy. Just remember that quests in the village advance your ship/farm/shakalaka and reward you craploads of great items.

It also has one of my favourite parts of Monster Hunter: The Arena. Where you fight monsters with a preset variety of weaponsm armour and items that are usually terrible. That's pretty much where I learned everything I know about fighting with the different weapons.

They also award coins that you can redeem for unique armour sets (which seem to all suck, but have style).
    Edit: where do I find super size dung?! I need to improve farm, but I can't find any :(

When the Moga Forecast says "Herbivores breeding", go out into freehunt and there will be a GIANT herbivore. Killing it, and reporting the kill to Junior yields super sized dung.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

So, just played up to where you can get your first Guild Quest.

I had a couple of questions. To mine different ore do you need different pickaxes? The mega pickaxes, do they mine all?

Can you eventually increase the item pouch carrying capacity? Or do you have really consider what you bring with you everytime you head out?

SgtBob wrote: »
    So, just played up to where you can get your first Guild Quest.

I had a couple of questions. To mine different ore do you need different pickaxes? The mega pickaxes, do they mine all?

Can you eventually increase the item pouch carrying capacity? Or do you have really consider what you bring with you everytime you head out?

The only difference in Pickaxes is their durability. Old pickaxes are very likely to break when you use them, Mega Pickaxes are the least likely. The "Whim" skill, which you get free on your leather armour, reduces this break chance even further.

You only get three pages in your item pouch for a blademaster, and four pages as a gunner (with the fourth page restricted to ranged ammo only).

Finding the right balance of stuff to bring is one of the core elements of gameplay. Depending on your preference later, you might really like to bring a particular consumable to battles, so to have more you ALSO bring the two component pieces to combine into more on the go. For hard boss fights I always bring 10 Megapotions, as well as 10 potions and 10 honey (which I combine into ten more megapotions). If I wanted even more I could bring 10 herbs and 10 blue mushrooms; but now I've already lost 5 item slots...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FLOODY777

Bought a 3DS XL, last Sunday, in Argos for €189.99 just for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (which arrived from Amazon during the week).

Having played MHFU on the PSP for a while...this game is so much better. It's also very welcoming for newcomers...as EVERYTHING is explained properly!

Very happy! :)

Looks quite class on large 3ds screen eh? Though i am not a fan of 3d effect in monster hunter. you need to keep an eye on so many things around the screen, so 3d effect gets in away.
    the game that really looks cool in 3d is Resident evil revalations.

I havent played last night at all. Was messing around with my Lego. I am dropping off misses to train station tonight, so after I willl have some time for MH3! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FLOODY777

Looks quite class on large 3ds screen eh? Though i am not a fan of 3d effect in monster hunter. you need to keep an eye on so many things around the screen, so 3d effect gets in away.
    the game that really looks cool in 3d is Resident evil revalations.

I havent played last night at all. Was messing around with my Lego. I am dropping off misses to train station tonight, so after I willl have some time for MH3! :P

Agreed - class!

I know you upgraded from 3DS to 3DS XL. You made the right decision! The extra screen size makes a world of a difference...

Re: The 3D on the game - I know exactly what you're saying. I turn the effect down to the lowest setting...otherwise I find it too busy!

Happy hunting! :)

Well had a good session last night. Did not even realised it was 23:30 lol

Finally got a super-dung lolol! :D

I know its not a huge achievement, though i did something else too! I killed the 3 star fire bird thing ( sorry i am very bad with names ). It was a very annoying fight! damn thing heals it self and had great Jaggi on my tail at the same time! :mad: Took me ages, but i finally killed it! Not looking forward of going to meet the bastard again! I guess doing it in full Jaggi set did not helped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Well had a good session last night. Did not even realised it was 23:30 lol

Finally got a super-dung lolol! :D

I know its not a huge achievement, though i did something else too! I killed the 3 star fire bird thing ( sorry i am very bad with names ). It was a very annoying fight! damn thing heals it self and had great Jaggi on my tail at the same time! :mad: Took me ages, but i finally killed it! Not looking forward of going to meet the bastard again! I guess doing it in full Jaggi set did not helped :)

I was at that exact same point tonight. Killed the bird eventually. He was tough enough especially in the jaggi gear. Going for the royal ludroth next. Is he tough? After him I'll try farm the gear off that poison guy. Trotti or something?

Great game though. I just love the sense of progress in the game. Even putting a couple of hours in usually results in upgraded gear of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Anyone played both the 3DS and WiiU versions? Does one play significantly better than the other?
    I'm looking to pull the trigger on this game one way or another... torn between lush off-TV play (when the patch is released) visuals versus being able to hunt 20 storey dragons on the bus (albeit on the regular-sized 3DS screen).... Help me choose, internet!

Banjo wrote: »
    Anyone played both the 3DS and WiiU versions? Does one play significantly better than the other?
    I'm looking to pull the trigger on this game one way or another... torn between lush off-TV play (when the patch is released) visuals versus being able to hunt 20 storey dragons on the bus (albeit on the regular-sized 3DS screen).... Help me choose, internet!

Buy both, transfer your file between machines based on your mood and do both!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Sure! Recession be damned!
    On an entirely unrelated note, anybody want to buy a kidney? One careful owner, priced to sell, transaction must be completed before Gamestop closes...

Seriously though, it kinds depends on what consoles you own.

If somehow you owned both, I'd get the 3DS version, since you can use the Wii U as a ad-hoc connector to go online (MH3U wii version not required).

If you're buying a system for this game, then it's a straight up choice between "Big screen and online play" versus "Portability".

Banjo wrote: »

Well. If you got Wii U already i presume it would be Wii U full on. specially when they are adding play from the controller with a patch. If you dont own wii u and thinking of getting just for MH3, then I would be a wee bit careful. ( I am not sure, but looks like you got both systems )

So 3DS is great version if you are low on money, but you would really want a 3ds XL for it. I know some people play it with 3ds normal with no problems, but i found that XL screen is just so much damn better.
    The beauty of 3ds for me is, that I can play MH3, while misses watches her crap on TV. So zero fecks given, but Wii u will have a patch for it soon, so its not an issue for you.
    I guess the greatest advantage of wii u version is online play. In a way I am a bit of lone wolf, when it comes to games like this, because I love to play games on my on pace. then again I already see how much I miss and how much more fun having 3 more Meat decoy targets hunters with you on some of those monsters.

So all in all i would recomend going for Wii U version. the whole damn Wii U is almost worth to get for this game. Its a shame I am a bum... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

I remember getting 'the claw' from playing one of the monster hunters (MH2 I think) on the psp - something about having to keep my middle fingers on the shoulder buttons for some reason (?)

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    I remember getting 'the claw' from playing one of the monster hunters (MH2 I think) on the psp - something about having to keep my middle fingers on the shoulder buttons for some reason (?)

Yeah, I think you mean this:

PSP_Claw.jpg

As big of a MH fanboy as I am, I was never willing to contort my hand into an uncomfortable position to play it on the PSP. I just had to be content with never being able to move my character and the camera at the same time....

Advertisement