Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

oh god yea, that was it... the d-pad digging into the side of your index finger too - comes flooding back

/wince

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So had little bit of time to play last night. Killed poison fella again. I want to try and work on some new armour set as jaggi showing some wear and tear lol.
    I got in to port and did the tundra gathering quest. Got some icecrystrals . so new weapons unlocked for forging. I still cannot find a single carpenter bug for armour upgrades.

I really feel like I am only scratching the surface of this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I really feel like I am only scratching the surface of this game.

Tell me about it. I just recently killed two monsters one after another for the first time each, and after checking their gear in the shop I thought

"Finally THIS one will make a Lance set I will be happy with, and THIS other one will be a great gunner armour. I can stop slumming it with my "temporary" armoursets I just made to tide me over"

Then I checked my gametime, and my jaw dropped. I have been playing for a ridiculous amount of hours and only JUST found armours I like the look of! I haven't even made a single piece of either one.

The amount of content is mind-boggling....

Anyway, I wanted to link these videos for the newer players. They've got great beginner information (minus one or two small factual errors), as long as you can overlook the fact the voiceover seems to treat us like we're special needs children. I dunno why he did that for these videos, he sounds perfectly normal in his game reviews. I think he might be trying to hide his accent....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Rebought the game on 3DS so I can now also play it on the way into college, still only HR4 atm because I haven't been playing it much recently.

I watched all those videos before. Those are very good. He does this voice and acting with tongue in cheek. He is messing around, because most western gamers find monster hunter too complicated. So hence such theme.

Anyway, I killed Baroth and gobul today. Both were quite good fights. I have to say that I really hate underwater fights. I hate water combat in games in general and this does not help me. It fair at least.
    So I will be working on baroth set. Looks like it has very good defence and fire resistance. Jaggi is really starting to age :).
    First I am trying to farm lightcrystrals first to make a poison longsword. What a pain in a hole.

So all in all monster hunter is currently the most played game in the house. I have already clocked it 15hours ++. Fantastic game.

• Advertisement

Anyway, I killed Baroth and gobul today. Both were quite good fights.

Yo congrats, those are not small achievements.

Barroth in particular was regarded as the 3rd generation's "wall", which is the first monster that new players should have serious problems with. Probably because he's the first with a roar that makes you cover your ears, has strong offense in his charge and his spin; is quite tall with harder to reach weak points and has a head that all weapons at that point in the game bounce off of. Not to forget the goddamn mud.

Definitely no small feat!
    So I will be working on baroth set. Looks like it has very good defence and fire resistance.

A full set of Barroth gives you "attack up small", "defense up small" and "guard+1". It's only really a good set if you like using weapons that can block (Sword and Shield, Lance, Gunlance and Greatsword). Also I'm pretty sure half the pieces are resistant to fire, and half the pieces are weak to fire, so if you make the entire set it balances out as completely neutral to fire (this is keeping in theme with the Barroth monster, because his weaknesses invert depending on if he's muddy or not).

I use Lance so I gemmed my Barroth set up for Guard+2, but I didn't really like it or end up using it as much as I thought. I went back to swapping between Jaggi and Wroggi mostly, but that's just me. What armour you use is largely personal preference.
    Jaggi is really starting to age

I just "beat" the village quests, but to unlock the last boss I had to do a 8 or 9 star difficulty quest where I had to hunt two fire wyverns at the same time. I grabbed my best bowgun and put on my Jaggi Gunner set (my ONLY gunner set), and I shot those monsters DOWN.

Sure I died twice because fireballs at that level were an insta-kill against me, but I still passed the quest. Don't underestimate the usefulness of Jaggi gear! As long as you're not getting hit dead-on by fireballs, Jaggi gear has great skills.

Cheers m8! Means I am doing at least something right!
    I have to admit he was way less annoying then that self healing fire bird and bubble fish with spikes. I am all the way in to long sword too, so I was able to hit him quite consistently.

As for his armor. I did knew something fishy about it. With some pieces going minus fire! Bah, will need to get different wire suit so!

By the way. I am doing only village missions so far. Should I focus more in to port missions? As in those videos he mentioned that people should not focus too much on port missions and do some village stuff. I am doing it totally wrong way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FLOODY777

Here's where I'm at:

Full Jaggi set with 2 attack decorations added...
    Longsword - Ananta Boneblade...(Working on getting the + version)

5* Village quests...

Did 'Shakalaka Savior II' (Duramboros) and 'The Desert Gourmand' (Niblesnarf)...and now have to do a delivery quest ('Ancient Mask') to proceed and unlock next set of quests.........

I have Cha-Cha and Kayamba with me now...:)

By the way. I am doing only village missions so far. Should I focus more in to port missions? As in those videos he mentioned that people should not focus too much on port missions and do some village stuff. I am doing it totally wrong way?

It's kinda up to yourself. There's no harm trying some port quests.

Village has a better learning curve for new players, and village is where you will get pretty much all your consumable resources.

The port quests are harder since they're for 4 people, but without offering 4 people's worth of rewards (you just get more supply items at the start of the quest).

Also the difficulty is a bit more random: For example I think at the start of a new file you can go straight to the port, go to the HR1 quests and fight Rathian as your first mission; which would be a monster you haven't encountered yet in the village.

If you're not planning on doing multiplayer any time soon, there's almost no reason to do the port quests before the village ones.

Although I do recommend trying the arenas as a good general source of education.

Best thing about this game's port is that time passes in your village for every thing you do in the port. So you can tell the farm to grow you 10 days worth of herbs, go and do 10 arenas, then check in with "Neko" and collect them/put more growing.

It's kinda up to yourself. There's no harm trying some port quests.

Village has a better learning curve for new players, and village is where you will get pretty much all your consumable resources.

The port quests are harder since they're for 4 people, but without offering 4 people's worth of rewards (you just get more supply items at the start of the quest).

Also the difficulty is a bit more random: For example I think at the start of a new file you can go straight to the port, go to the HR1 quests and fight Rathian as your first mission; which would be a monster you haven't encountered yet in the village.

If you're not planning on doing multiplayer any time soon, there's almost no reason to do the port quests before the village ones.

Although I do recommend trying the arenas as a good general source of education.

Best thing about this game's port is that time passes in your village for every thing you do in the port. So you can tell the farm to grow you 10 days worth of herbs, go and do 10 arenas, then check in with "Neko" and collect them/put more growing.

Hmmm it lets to choose between solo and multiplayer port. Does in solo it still scales for 4 players?

• Advertisement

Yeah as far as I know the only difference between solo and multi is that multi searches for other human players; whereas solo lets you bring both Shakalakas and meet AI version of human hunters you've swapped guild cards with.

I believe all quests in port are scaled the same though.

So, I had some time in my hands today. So here's what I did:

Farmed damn tundra to get lightcrystrals. Flipping took ages to get what I needed. In the end I crafted myself woggi long sword. Lovely poison weapon! So with little bit more confidence I decided to progress a little bit. So I took on boggi ( lizard from tundra ) and big rabbit thing. I have to say boggi was a pain in a hole with its constraint spam of 360 attack and sleep. So after I got those two I got urgent quest for that electrical monster. I cut off his tail and he fecked off :(. I would have killed him easy too. I guess it is just scripted and I will fight him again later :(.

After that upgraded all my jaggi set to 20 defence. Still not decided on next set to get. I really need to get a good fire resistance set and cold resistance set. By the way, why I can't make chest for some sets? I /can make the rest of the stuff, but chest does not even show up..

So, I had some time in my hands today. So here's what I did:

Farmed damn tundra to get lightcrystrals. Flipping took ages to get what I needed. In the end I crafted myself woggi long sword. Lovely poison weapon! So with little bit more confidence I decided to progress a little bit. So I took on boggi ( lizard from tundra ) and big rabbit thing. I have to say boggi was a pain in a hole with its constraint spam of 360 attack and sleep. So after I got those two I got urgent quest for that electrical monster. I cut off his tail and he fecked off :(. I would have killed him easy too. I guess it is just scripted and I will fight him again later :(.

After that upgraded all my jaggi set to 20 defence. Still not decided on next set to get. I really need to get a good fire resistance set and cold resistance set. By the way, why I can't make chest for some sets? I /can make the rest of the stuff, but chest does not even show up..

Good work!

Yes...that "Electrical monster" will be back! You've done the first part to drive him away. When he returns...he'll be very angry and will be looking for YOU!!! LOL

You probably know already that when fire hits you in the Jaggi set...you can just roll to put the fire out! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Another new hunter signing on. Only had a short blast so I'm basically just mugging every little jaggi that sticks its head out of the hole in map 1 area 6. Dual blades are going to get me in trouble when the monsters start fighting back, aren't they :)

Banjo wrote: »
    Another new hunter signing on. Only had a short blast so I'm basically just mugging every little jaggi that sticks its head out of the hole in map 1 area 6. Dual blades are going to get me in trouble when the monsters start fighting back, aren't they :)

Welcome. Enjoy your nipples being twisted off by big monsters! :p

Funny enough I started off with dual blades back in MH 2 portable. In MH3 i switched to Long sword and i could not be happier! I am still not sure how ultimate attack works on dual blades. They are great fast hitters, but i dont know how well they will work with big monsters where you need some range.

Thats the cool thing about MH3. There are plenty of weapons to choose from. Those are great for certain situations and for certain play styles. I really need to try out gun lance and other projectile weapons as I never did.

I got urgent quest for that electrical monster. I cut off his tail and he fecked off :(. I would have killed him easy too. I guess it is just scripted and I will fight him again later :(.

Yeah, he's a pushover on land, fighting him in water is a pretty different affair altogether.
    After that upgraded all my jaggi set to 20 defence.

Upgrading Jaggi set for defense is a solid strategy. I recommend you register two different Jaggi sets at your box. One with as many attack gems/charms as possible (aim for attack up medium or large, I was able to get large with a +3 attack charm), and then another set with +15 stun points so you can get the skill "Negate stun".

As long as you make them once, and register them, you can swap between them freely at your box and the game will move around the decorations and charms for you automatically.

Negate Stun is especially useful in some underwater fights, especially when you're fighting the lightning monster again, as his lightning attacks leave you with "Lightning Blight", which means you're easier to dizzy. It also makes you immune to Gobul's latern flash.
    Still not decided on next set to get. I really need to get a good fire resistance set and cold resistance set. By the way, why I can't make chest for some sets? I /can make the rest of the stuff, but chest does not even show up..

Quick FYI: Fire res and cold res aren't exactly opposite to each other. Fire res reduces damage from fire attacks, Cold res prevents the decrease of your stamina bar that happens if you're in a cold area (like Sandy plains at night, and the Tundra).

Similarly Ice res decreases damage from ice attacks, whereas heat res stops the health drain that happens by being in areas that are too hot (sandy plains day, volcano).

As a rule i would never personally pursue a gearset because of Heat/Cold res, because they're 15 point skills (which is expensive), and you can achieve the same effect by just drinking a hot/cool drink.

FLOODY777 wrote: »
    You probably know already that when fire hits you in the Jaggi set...you can just roll to put the fire out! ;-)

This is true. Wearing Jaggi gear it seems take about 4 rolls to put out the fire, or 1 roll if you roll into water.
    Banjo wrote: »
    Dual blades are going to get me in trouble when the monsters start fighting back, aren't they :)

Dual Blades are really solid, I'm not any good at them, but I really like their mobility. They're also a lot like Lance/SnS/Longsword in that they rely so much on elemental damage, that it's a very good idea to have one Dual Blade per elemental type that you're always working on upgrading.
    I really need to try out gun lance and other projectile weapons as I never did.

Gunlance is a bit of poor name, since it's not actually a ranged weapon. Think of it more like a lance with an exploding tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Geckolimus

Hiya! Just another hunter jumping on the bandwagon for MH3U. I have got both versions and bought both hardware just for this game. I have to say I enjoy MH3U a lot more on the WiiU. The 3DSXL is pretty much in use when my wife wants me upstairs instead in the living room. :) I'm wondering who else is playing on WiiU. Will be nice to form a friend list and hunt together.

Regards
    Gecko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Geckolimus wrote: »
    Hiya! Just another hunter jumping on the bandwagon for MH3U. I have got both versions and bought both hardware just for this game. I have to say I enjoy MH3U a lot more on the WiiU. The 3DSXL is pretty much in use when my wife wants me upstairs instead in the living room. :) I'm wondering who else is playing on WiiU. Will be nice to form a friend list and hunt together.

Regards
    Gecko

So i'm not the only one. Was questioning my sanity for even considering buying a WiiU just to play this game. Still on the fence...

Geckolimus wrote: »

Regards
    Gecko

That's brave. If we get same deal for Wii u like UK had in Game, then I would consider getting it. If Wii u will drop to 250eu level or 300eu with monster hunter bundle them I might reconsider. For now 3ds XL works fine! :)
    So anyway, I just killed some very very nasty flying fire monster, this time a lot bigger! Rathian? Was fun! I love the set you can make from him too! Some awesome skills, though I am using poison, not fire weaponry.
    By the way, do I have to do urgent quest now? Or I can ignore it and go kill few more rathians?

So anyway, I just killed some very very nasty flying fire monster, this time a lot bigger! Rathian? Was fun! I love the set you can make from him too! Some awesome skills, though I am using poison, not fire weaponry.
    By the way, do I have to do urgent quest now? Or I can ignore it and go kill few more rathians?

Congrats! I had a real 'punch the air moment' when I killed the Rathian! Felt like I was really starting my make progress in the game... It just keeps getting better after that!!! :D

Re: Urgent Quest - You can ignore and do whatever you want! :)

BTW - Have you gone over to the port? There's a little ole lady there who sells a few bits that sometimes are a hassle to get elsewhere. I go there for that reason only. My focus is on Village quests.........

• Advertisement

Congrats! I had a real 'punch the air moment' when I killed the Rathian! Felt like I was really starting my make progress in the game... It just keeps getting better after that!!! :D

Re: Urgent Quest - You can ignore and do whatever you want! :)

BTW - Have you gone over to the port? There's a little ole lady there who sells a few bits that sometimes are a hassle to get elsewhere. I go there for that reason only. My focus is on Village quests.........

I have to say he really was beating the living bejaysus out of me at few moments. Whoever mentioned bringing potions and honey with me on top of potions you got is a genius!

I am too tired now, so I'll play again tomorrow. I can't believe how much value per money I am getting out of thus game.

Whoever mentioned bringing potions and honey with me on top of potions you got is a genius!

;)

;)

Who else lol. Sorry, could not be fecked going back as I was typing from a phone! :D

Misses back from Austria just now, so no MH3 tonight, Hopefully I will be traping and capturing other monster in bed tonight! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

From what I've seen, you have to go to the Port to activate Streetpass on the 3ds version so worth a trip as early as you can

I successfully hunted down... Some mushrooms! Fist pump!

I then began to get complacent and it turns out that if you pick on the peace loving herbivores enough their mate Steve the giant sea dragon gets wind of it.... Not pretty

Edit : regarding the next post, you're as well off buying the Nintendoland or zombiu bundle, factor in €60 for buying MH from the eshop and 22 for the Pro controller if necessary and if Currys are still doing them. The prices have plummeted in the UK at least, and I don't think there's anything other than the bundled game to set the MH bundle apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Anyone got any word on prices for the WiiU Monster Hunter bundle in bricks and mortar shops? Best i spotted online was €410 with Amazon.

Two random tips specific to this game (as oppossed to Tri, where I learned everything I know), that took me a little while to figure out

(1) Download and complete the free DLC quests as soon as you can. I have nearly beaten high rank in the village and the port, and noticed that three of my best weapons came from the DLC quests.

These event weapons are:

The Banderlance is my best fire lance, and best Lance overall.

The Marquis' Blazon is far and away my best Gunlance.

The Tenabra is my second best longsword, but by far my best looking, and most used; because it has three slots for decorations and can be used in pretty much any set.

There's more event quests I haven't gotten around to yet, but I'm trying to collect them all before moving on.

(2) Any quest that says "Hunt all the large monsters" (without individually naming them) is a special kind of quest where you can only carve rations from minion monsters, and only carve mega potions from big monsters.

General tips for these are:
    • Don't bring steaks because you can get free rations easily
    • Don't bring (too many) mega potions, because you'll get loads mid-mission
    • Don't bother trying to slice off the monsters' tail, you'll only carve a mega potion. I was really annoyed when I delayed killing a monster for ages to be sure of getting a tail carve, and then carved a potion.
    • I'm not sure if these quests give break rewards either (horns, claws etc) so just kill the monsters as fast as you can and move on

Misses back from Austria just now, so no MH3 tonight, Hopefully I will be traping and capturing other monster in bed tonight! :pac:

That was no excuse to give up hunting for the night! ;)

My update:

Still wearing Full Jaggi set with 2 attack decorations added...
    Longsword - Ananta Boneblade+...(Had to fight Gobul a few times to get the required Sacs which are a random drop!)

On the final part of 5* Village quests...

R.I.P. 1 Rathalos and 1 Barioth! A Rathalos makes a Rathian look like a pussycat!

Then...
    so soon after the last one...had to do another (!) delivery quest to proceed......... IMHO, this really hinders pacing in the game.

Next up...1 Uragaan key quest to unlock the 'Save Moga Village' urgent quest (Ceadeus).

UberPrinny_Baal - Any advice @ this point? Should I finish any undone/skipped (non key) village quests etc.?

UberPrinny_Baal - Any advice @ this point? Should I finish any undone/skipped (non key) village quests etc.?

Most important point:
    Wear headphones for the Save Moga Village quest! Seriously. The music is excellent.

Secondary points:

Honestly, it's not that hard of a quest. It's more a cool event.
    If you want to be extra prepared, trade for a stack of 10 UW Ballista Ammo from the Argosy Captain and bring them with you (saves time gathering them 1 by 1). Also if you want to be extra prepared bring dash juices (because you will never not want to be moving quickly) and barrel bombs if you want some easy damage on a big monster.

Do leave the boneblade at home though, since you can't paralyze this boss. Grab whatever your strongest (in order) element of Dragon > Thunder > Fire. Failing that just bring whatever has the best raw and sharpness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 are94

W.Tiger wrote: »
    Anybody else getting this? I'm curious about how many people here know of or play the Monster Hunter games.

i will be getting this game, they are great games that you can pump hours and hours into where other games would have been finish after the first few

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Made some HR Jaggi armour since the LR Wroggi set was wearing thin on the HR village quests.
    I'll probably just make a new set, since I love Razor Sharp so much (used LR Lagi armour in Tri for it all the way to making my Vangis set).
    Next up...1 Uragaan key quest to unlock the 'Save Moga Village' urgent quest (Ceadeus).

Remember, you can
    mine Uragaan's back when you knock it over to get firestones and lava nuggets.

Also, for the key quest you might want to bring some
    Large Barrel Bomb+s to help breaking the horn and beard. Just remember if you do to bring a Small Barrel Bomb to detonate them, otherwise you'll have to attack them yourself.

Advertisement