Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

That's more like it! Don't you die on me!

Aye, I am avoiding spoilers in a way. I don't really care about monsters spoiler wise, but I care about equipment and sets. ( I know, weirdo)

That's why I just asked about paths of weapons s etc. I sort of want to experiment and discover stuff!
    one thing does puzzle me though, I can make full Rathian set, but I can't make head? Why is that? Do I need some part, which will open helmet "blueprint". I noticed that with few sets so far, where I miss one set item.

Anyway, I am again a bit pushed off buying Wii u. Looks like monster Hunter 4 is 3ds exclusive! Wii u would be a lot more reasonable to buy if I would knew that new monster Hunter will be on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Lego City Undercover has a bit with a LEgo Dinosaur in it. Does that make the decision easier?

HR 3. A lunch well spent.

So, I tried a Port quest to take on my old pal Lagombi, and every time I hit him my blade bounced unless it was green-sharp. My dual blade Jaggi-based swords give me maybe 5 hits before they blunt down to yellow, at which point I can only really dent his legs from the rear, and forget about head or chest.

Is that the game telling me to upgrade? (I can't, can't find the ore I need, begins with P) Or is it a dual blades thing?

Just in case the weapon is holding me back, I'm practicing with a Long Sword made out of the last Azuros that looked at me funny. The need for accuracy and the slowness of the attacks makes getting swarmed by giant Mozzies a pain in the arse, and the last round of saving the Shakala was quite annoying till I worked up enough red to start round-house swinging. But it's a work in progress - your tips greatfully received.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Banjo wrote: »
    Lego City Undercover has a bit with a LEgo Dinosaur in it. Does that make the decision easier?

HR 3. A lunch well spent.

So, I tried a Port quest to take on my old pal Lagombi, and every time I hit him my blade bounced unless it was green-sharp. My dual blade Jaggi-based swords give me maybe 5 hits before they blunt down to yellow, at which point I can only really dent his legs from the rear, and forget about head or chest.

Is that the game telling me to upgrade? (I can't, can't find the ore I need, begins with P) Or is it a dual blades thing?

Just in case the weapon is holding me back, I'm practicing with a Long Sword made out of the last Azuros that looked at me funny. The need for accuracy and the slowness of the attacks makes getting swarmed by giant Mozzies a pain in the arse, and the last round of saving the Shakala was quite annoying till I worked up enough red to start round-house swinging. But it's a work in progress - your tips greatfully received.

Pelagicite ore? You can get it from the Flooded Forest, the underwater sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Geckolimus

Anyway, I am again a bit pushed off buying Wii u. Looks like monster Hunter 4 is 3ds exclusive! Wii u would be a lot more reasonable to buy if I would knew that new monster Hunter will be on it too.

With mh3u selling quite well on the wiiU chances are mh4 will come to the platform. It makes business sense and I really appreciate the improved resolution making the game much more appealing. I owned wii and had mh3 as well but I didn't get too involved in it as the graphics was not really great and blur on my plasma tv. Mh3u on the other hand looked crisp and colorful on 720p with no major problems with frame rate drops. I find that much more engaging and enjoyable. I doubt capcom and Nintendo will pass on the chance to enhance this franchise with improved graphics and even perhaps some other interesting features that is wiiU exclusive such as an 8-man hunting group pursuing an ultra badass monster creature!

Regards
    Gecko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I dunno if updates on my progress are terribly interesting for people, but I've "beaten" the town by beating all the key quests and urgent quests. I need to beat ALL town quests to unlock the final one, but that's not required for progress, just for a sense of achievement.

I'm HR6 in the tavern I think. Whatever the last HR is before G rank.

I've mostly been working on upgrading the few weapons I like, and trying to make sure I have at least a semi-decent lance of each element.

I've also done every canteen quest available to me, which I highly recommend others to do. The Food buffs are great, and the ease with which you can have max HP combined with whatever stat-boost you want in this game is very forgiving. Going into freehunt with the Felyne Foodie skill, tied to an attack/defense/hp/stamina boost almost seems unfair to the poor monsters.

Re: Weapon paths / Upgrades - It's kinda hard to pin this down exactly. In the previous games it was absolutely necessary to upgrade weapons all the way from the early terrible ones, because no new ones would appear in your shop otherwise, but they seem to have relaxed this a lot in the new games (thank god).

For example for hammers, I upgraded (I think) the Bone one a few times until it was the best bone one, then upgraded it to a Qurupeco hammer, then upgraded it to a Rathalos hammer. Now I have the choice of upgrading it either into the next level of Rathalos hammer OR into a Brachydios Hammer (same raw power and sharpness, just one has fire element, and the other has slime element).

But I can also make that same Brachydios hammer in the shop "from scratch". It takes slightly more materials (4 different kinds instead of 3) and slightly more money (36k instead of 24k). But considering that neither one requires a rare drop like a plate or a ruby, I'd be happier to make the second one from scratch and have two different hammers of different elements that can be upgraded along different weapon trees.

I don't know is this spoilery, so I'll put in tags if people don't want to know, but there seems to be three monsters I've fought so far who let you make weapons from scratch for every weapon class, and ALL their weapons seem great. So if I had the patience I would make each of these weapons for each of the 12 classes from each of these three monsters, but I do NOT have that patience (36 different weapons plus materials for upgrades!).

These three monsters are:
    Zinogre, Brachydios and Nargacuga

Shame this game doesn't have Tigrex, not only did I like all his weapons in Freedom Unite, he was my original "wall". I couldn't beat that guy until I figured out how armour skills worked.

If the P is Pelagicite Ore, you can only get that by mining the underwater mining nodes in the flooded forest.

I had this same thing happen to me when I tried to kill Qurupeco with the DB they give you at the start of the game. I could only get 4 hits before they dulled and I bounced with every hit.

What you're experiencing isn't DB specific. The universal rule for all weapons is that you get (I think) 4 hits of a weapon per pixel of sharpness (8 if you have the razor sharp skill). But you're going to find it more annoying with a dual blade because you're going to work your way through those hits way faster than, for example, a greatsword user who only goes for Lv.3 charged hits.

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but the golden rule for most blademaster weapons is to prioritise upgrades based on the following stats:

Sharpness > Raw damage > Elemental Damage > Affinity OR Status (debatable)

Just in case the weapon is holding me back, I'm practicing with a Long Sword......I worked up enough red to start round-house swinging. But it's a work in progress - your tips greatfully received.

If you're able to get the LS aura to red power, you're already doing better than me.

The key to LS seems to be increasing your sword gauge via regular attacks while keeping your aura as close to red as you can via spirit attacks.

It was a really braindead weapon in Tri, but they've made it quite thoughtful now.

• Advertisement

Okay lads. This is unfair! Monster Hunter online announced for pc. Free to play mmo... With crytec 3 engine. Here is the twist.... Only for China market!

How do you know that you played too much monster Hunter? You get dreams in your sleep about monster hunter, where you fight rathian.

You know what is the sad part of this? I did not got a tail for extra carving.

You know what is sadder? It was just daydream and it did not saved on my 3ds. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

How do you know that you played too much monster Hunter? You get dreams in your sleep about monster hunter, where you fight rathian.

You know what is the sad part of this? I did not got a tail for extra carving.

You know what is sadder? It was just daydream and it did not saved on my 3ds. :(

I haven't played enough Monster Hunter, barely even 80 hours so far

Had great fun playing MH3 with my 4 year old daughter. Turns out that waddling away from a giant wyvern with an egg in your hands and falling off a cliff or getting trampled to death is hilarious as long as you sing the Benny Hill theme while doing it. We may have a new convert ;)

I am officially a G-Rank hunter now, just beat the urgent quest.

Much like Liam Neeson, I needed a very particular set of skills to kill what I wanted, and an armourset that wasn't -17 weak against the unblockable elemental attack of the monster I was trying to defeat.

So in the end, it was wearing humble low rank Barroth armour that helped me triumph.

• Advertisement

Think I just met a Rathian. In fact, I checked my hunter notes, I definitely just met a Rathian. Jesus christ!

And they're not even that big in the scheme of things, are they?

Couldn't really lay a finger on her under the circumstances (don't want to give the surprise away in case the one or two gamers in the world who are lower HR than me are reading :)) and even when I tried my badger-sword kept bouncing. This game never gets tired of reminding me that I have a loooong way to go!

But when life gives you lemons, go bitch-slap a Great Jaggi to make yourself feel big and clever again!

Beat a Royal Ludroth on land in the arena. Just. Not looking forward to facing them in my puny jaggi armour with a huge body of water behind them....

Think I just met a Rathian. In fact, I checked my hunter notes, I definitely just met a Rathian. Jesus christ!

That happened when I was showing my nephew some basic hammering tips on his file in Tri (He's like 12 and I was trying to train him in a few different weapons).

I was wearing his early game armour (leather?) and using a basic iron hammer.

I picked a Monster he has already fought (Qurupeco), and was just showing him the three or so attacks I use with hammer, and how the superpound attacks can't bounce, so they're great for breaking flints, etc etc

Then to see the situation for Rathian's perspective it was like:

"Gaze upon me and weep mere mortals! For I am the Queen of the Land. The poison terror. She who fireballs entire countries into submission. Brought here by the Qurupeco, you pathetic humans have no idea the terror you have wrought upon your- OW. OW! Ow Jesus Christ stop hitting me in the face. OMG. WTF. Now I'm dizzy? What's going on? Oh dear god. I'm going to fly away! I'm flying now! That was weird, but I'm glad it's over................ Oh God he's running after me. With a glint in his eye. This isn't supposed to happen! Not now! Not like this!"

After she was dead I went back to killing Qurupeco. Just barely managed to kill both within the time limit, mwahaha.

My nephew thought it was a pretty good hammer tutorial overall.

Can't decide between the Fire Emblem or the Monster Hunter 3DSXL bundle. Was going to trade in my old DS but nowhere in Galway would let me transfer over my ambassador games as they had no wifi so just going to buy it for anyway.

Can't decide between the Fire Emblem or the Monster Hunter 3DSXL bundle.

Apples and Oranges my friend.

Both MH and FE are fantastic series, and their 3DS games are both regarded as pretty much the best single game entries to those series in recent memory.

It would just come down to whether you prefer real time action combat with some RPG elements, or turn based strategy with a lot of RPG elements.

Easy solution: Get both games. I will.

When the XL was released, shops were letting you take the XL home, transfer, then bring the old 3DS in the next day / later to claim your trade-in off the price. I suppose with HMV gone there's no competition in the market, I wouldn't be surprised to find that Gamestop pour a jug of pi$$ down the back of your neck as you turn to leave once they've got your money. You could always see in their eyes that they wanted to and now you have no-where else to go they can...

Uberprinny - please tell me there's a video :)

Can't decide between the Fire Emblem or the Monster Hunter 3DSXL bundle. Was going to trade in my old DS but nowhere in Galway would let me transfer over my ambassador games as they had no wifi so just going to buy it for anyway.

I got both. Good games, but I would go Monster hunter 3 over Fire emblem any given time.

Dont understand me wrong, fire emblem is a good game, but MH3 is just plain freaking awesome boner material. I played 22h of MH3, got fire emblem, played for 3 hours and back to MH3 with 30h++ again. If you can, get both, if you need to choose one, then Monster hunter has a lot more value. Thats Ofcourse when you do realise those are two different types of gamnes and you are okay with that.

Uberprinny - please tell me there's a video :)

I have no videos at all of me playing.

I imagine it would be pretty boring to watch me just going "Stab, stab, stab *sidestep* stab, stab, stab" a hundred million times.

It's all in the editing! And the voice actress you cast as the Rathian :)

Well, it would appear that my worries about the Royal Ludroth were unfounded, I've already taken his tale and the rest of him will soon be mine. I was expecting a purple one, like in the arena, but this yellow one is a pussycat. It does highlight my inadequacies as a planner though. Is there a way in-game to research your quarry and plan your assault, so you don't... I dunno... spend ages farming and resource gathering so you can bring 10 antidotes, 10 blue mushrooms and 10 antidote herbs that you're not going to use? One that doesn't involve running away with your bottom on fire (which is how my Rathian research has been conducted so far)

Well done on taking our Purple Ludroth in the arena. He's not an easy fight (if you don't pick that one armourset they give that's immune to poison).
    I Is there a way in-game to research your quarry and plan your assault

No and that's kinda one of the problems of the game in my opinion. Even if you kill something a 100 times, you'll never really know what the best path is without looking it up online.

Like every monster has a "weakest point" versus cutting damage, impact damage, shot damage and elemental damage. These might all be the same point (Like Rathian's head), but for most Monsters they're completely different places and you have no way of knowing outside of your kill complete times.

After you kill a monster, you can look at it's armour in the shop and work out at least what it's specific elemental weaknesses are, but for the most case they follow the rules of:

- Stuff in the water are weak to fire (Pokemon pops a monocle and spits out its tea), so are things you fight on the Tundra
    - Stuff at the desert are weak to ice
    - Stuff at the volcano are weak to water
    - Dragons are weak to Dragon
    - Any monster that uses an element or status is probably immune or highly resistant to it

I'm using the amazing Brady Players Guide PDF for MH3U to find out elemental weaknesses before fights, which I obtained via completely legitimate means (there is unfortunately no way to give them money for making it, as they don't have EU billing enabled, but it would be well worth the $15 asking price for the amount of content in it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

What price were the Fire Emblem ones the MH ones were 210 a week ago but have disappeared from the display case in Gamestop :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well had purely 3ds day today. I really starting to find it ironic... I got 2k+ gaming PC and all consoles. All I do is play on a 3ds, can't get enough too!

So I wrapped up today's hunt. Killed 2 rathians and captured one. It would have been 2 captured if he just would not decide to change his direction and fly away.... Bastard!

So getting mats for full rathian set. I can do few items already, but I will farm more before I make it. I am getting good at rathian killing lol!

GTR63 wrote: »
    What price were the Fire Emblem ones the MH ones were 210 a week ago but have disappeared from the display case in Gamestop :rolleyes:

Was assuming that it would be 210 in GameStop. Just after looking at their site and the Monster Hunter 3ds is no longer listed and Fire Emblem one is 240.

I am getting good at Rathian killing lol!

Rathian is a great practice Monster for testing other weapons on. Long body. Obvious weakpoint in the head, wings to break and a tail to cut.

Grab a hammer, go for the head, see how many times you can dizzy before she dies.

Get a greatsword, go for the tail, see how quickly you can cut it off.

Get any bowgun and go nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

GTR63 wrote: »

Yeah, sorry about that. The last MH 3DS was in the display case and I bought it. Amazon have it for 225 but you cant trade in with them.
    Atleast I think it was the last, he couldnt find any in the back and when asked the manager pointed to the display

Rathian is a great practice Monster for testing other weapons on. Long body. Obvious weakpoint in the head, wings to break and a tail to cut.

Grab a hammer, go for the head, see how many times you can dizzy before she dies.

Get a greatsword, go for the tail, see how quickly you can cut it off.

Get any bowgun and go nuts!

I know I am sort of shooting myself in a foot now, but 30h++ and the only weapon I use ( I **** you not ) is Long sword. I really need to get some other weapons out, but Long sword is just so damn good! Even If i dont charge it up properly it is still such a great weapon. Lots of mobility, great damage, great range.

I noticed that Rathian is quite week to ICE attacks. I manage to down Rathian very fast with my "frosty blade"!

So yesterday was a good day for hunting. Finally manned-up and faced the royal Ludroth, who was a lot less of a threat than I though he'd be (though I didn't exactly cover myself in glory, got carried away when he was nearly finished and forgot that I was not invulnerable), took his tail and then his head. Then I took out a Baroth, again nabbing tail and head spoils. Had a pop at the Great Wroggi and nearly got away without taking a single hit - accidentally rolled through a poison cloud when my CPP timed out so giving him credit for that. You should never pause a hunt while you're doing the washing up. Let the housework wait! Finally, went out foraging and got jumped by 2 Great Jaggis (r.i.p.), a Queropeco (split his beak but could not damage those flints :( ) and another Royal Ludroth.

Not at the same time, mind. They gave me a good 2-3 minutes breather in between the 2 Jaggis and Big Bird, with the Ludi wandering in a few minutes later. Only the two G. Jaggies were on the forecast. And that's a bit of a problem, because I wasn't expecting a big fight so I brought along a weak weapon (2 hatchets I was thinking of upgrading), but they don't have a lot of reach or sharpness. I didn't bring a lot of supplies (a few resource gathering tools and a couple of whetstones, beefed up with a couple of steaks and megapotions I scrounged together before the poo hit the fan), and while I've had that Royal Ludi's tail off and smashed his face in, when I finished up for the night he was still alive and swimming, I'd run out whet-stones and my blades were shagged. Time for some extreme under-water mining! Once again, lesson learned :) A good Hunter is always prepared.

So yesterday was a good day for hunting. Finally manned-up and faced the royal Ludroth, who was a lot less of a threat than I though he'd be (though I didn't exactly cover myself in glory, got carried away when he was nearly finished and forgot that I was not invulnerable), took his tail and then his head. Then I took out a Barioth, again nabbing tail and head spoils. Had a pop at the Great Wroggi and nearly got away without taking a single hit - accidentally rolled through a poison cloud when my CPP timed out so giving him credit for that. You should never pause a hunt while you're doing the washing up. Let the housework wait! Finally, went out foraging and got jumped by 2 Great Jaggis (r.i.p.), a Queropeco (split his beak but could not damage those flints :( ) and another Royal Ludroth.

Not at the same time, mind. They gave me a good 2-3 minutes breather in between the 2 Jaggis and Big Bird, with the Ludi wandering in a few minutes later. Only the two G. Jaggies were on the forecast. And that's a bit of a problem, because I wasn't expecting a big fight so I brought along a weak weapon (2 hatchets I was thinking of upgrading), but they don't have a lot of reach or sharpness. I didn't bring a lot of supplies (a few resource gathering tools and a couple of whetstones, beefed up with a couple of steaks and megapotions I scrounged together before the poo hit the fan), and while I've had that Royal Ludi's tail off and smashed his face in, when I finished up for the night he was still alive and swimming, I'd run out whet-stones and my blades were shagged. Time for some extreme under-water mining! Once again, lesson learned :) A good Hunter is always prepared.

There is nothing worse then getting cough with pants down in MH3! :pac:

G-Rank is tough guys, some monster gain some new attacks, and my defenses are seriously lacking.

I'm getting 1-hit-killed on 6 star port quests (G rank 1), and I'm being stubborn by not making any new armours because my ultimate ideal set is obtainable in 7 star port quest (G rank 2).

But I'll power on because I should be able to kill anything in any armour set as long as I apply enough awesome.
    I know I am sort of shooting myself in a foot now, but 30h++ and the only weapon I use ( I **** you not ) is Long sword.

No harm in that. In MHFU (when I knew nothing about the game, and had no network/community to talk to about it) I probably went back and forth across 6 different weapons with varying degrees of success. I generally used the same weapon until I got to a monster that I failed on. Then tried it in the arena, and tried whatever arena weapon I liked the best in the main game.

I wasn't until I failed repeatedly on the same Monster that I tried Lance, and discovered my new best friend.
    Only the two G. Jaggies were on the forecast. And that's a bit of a problem, because I wasn't expecting a big fight so I brought along a weak weapon

More monsters than are forecast can show up after you've killed everything in the forecast.

I think one free hunt I had FOUR fairly difficult bosses pop up after I had killed the predictions of the day. Whetstones and a means of cooking meat are probably my two most important things I need in freehunt

I can get by on low health as long as I don't get hit, but I can't do much with a blunt weapon and no stamina.

You'd think that would be something Junior might have mentioned during the forecast...

Well, the Whetstone issue sorted itself out without me having to give him time to recover - just as my weapon was blunted and near useless, I scored a hit on the exposed tail stump that tipped Ludi over the edge, he ran to the next area where there were 3 mining points, yielding 3 whetstones between them. It was enough to get the job done. Stamina was a real problem though towards the end, once he started going mental, charging around the place.

Is there a "10 rules for hunting monsters" guide out there?
    I've already figured out "Always be prepared for a long fight, even if you're just popping out to the shops" and "It's not dead till you're carving the scales/sponge/flesh off it's head" ones the hard way, but surely there are others?

• Advertisement

You'd think that would be something Junior might have mentioned during the forecast...

Well they're not technically forecast. Extra monsters won't show up until you've killed everything in the forecast, and at that they might not show up for quite a while, or even not at all. Details are kinda unknown, but I've heard some people say that they've had six(!) monsters show up in freehunt. Those same people seem to think six is is the maximum.

Is there a "10 rules for hunting monsters" guide out there?

Did you watch the three Projared videos, I think those give pretty good overviews.

Also do you mean general advice for hunting any monsters on quests, or advice specifically related to freehunting in the moga woods?

Advertisement