Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

G-Rank is tough guys, some monster gain some new attacks, and my defenses are seriously lacking.

I'm getting 1-hit-killed on 6 star port quests (G rank 1), and I'm being stubborn by not making any new armours because my ultimate ideal set is obtainable in 7 star port quest (G rank 2).

But I'll power on because I should be able to kill anything in any armour set as long as I apply enough awesome.

What armour are you using and what is the set you are going after? I'm currently using Volvidon S (still only just after Brachy because haven't played in a while, had college stuff to do), with Evasion + 2 and Attack up L and everything has gotten pretty easy, looking forward to it ramping up again in G-Rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

What armour are you using and what is the set you are going after? I'm currently using Volvidon S (still only just after Brachy because haven't played in a while, had college stuff to do), with Evasion + 2 and Attack up L and everything has gotten pretty easy, looking forward to it ramping up again in G-Rank.

Volvidon S is what I'm wearing too. It's my only high rank armour, it's my "serious face" set and pretty much makes Jaggi blademaster redundant (unless you badly Negate Stun over Evasion+2).

I want (I think) Agnaktor X, because I'm an idiot determined to try and make counter-lancing work, even though it's obviously terrible in this game and far from the optimal way to play. I guess I'm just stubborn like that.

My only other armoursets are:
    • LR Jaggi Blademaster: Never used now
    • LR Jaggi Gunner: I feel like a cheeky bollocks trying to use this in High/G-Rank quests. I do okay sometimes, but any attack that hits me probably deals enough damage to kill me 4 times over, haha
    • LR Barroth: Guard +2 OR Guard Boost (not both)
    • LR Scholar: Used for freehunt mostly. Autotracker + Capture Guru is handy but obviously weak. Bringing Good Luck on a super easy quest (kill 10 Jaggia) is nice for extra quest rewards
    • LR Wroggi: Negate Poison, Sharpness, Capture Guru again (Handy skill)

From that list it's pretty glaring I need to make one good gunner set too.

Volvidon S is what I'm wearing too. It's my only high rank armour, it's my "serious face" set and pretty much makes Jaggi blademaster redundant (unless you badly Negate Stun over Evasion+2).

I want (I think) Agnaktor X, because I'm an idiot determined to try and make counter-lancing work, even though it's obviously terrible in this game and far from the optimal way to play. I guess I'm just stubborn like that.

My only other armoursets are:
    • LR Jaggi Blademaster: Never used now
    • LR Jaggi Gunner: I feel like a cheeky bollocks trying to use this in High/G-Rank quests. I do okay sometimes, but any attack that hits me probably deals enough damage to kill me 4 times over, haha
    • LR Barroth: Guard +2 OR Guard Boost (not both)
    • LR Scholar: Used for freehunt mostly. Autotracker + Capture Guru is handy but obviously weak. Bringing Good Luck on a super easy quest (kill 10 Jaggia) is nice for extra quest rewards
    • LR Wroggi: Negate Poison, Sharpness, Capture Guru again (Handy skill)

From that list it's pretty glaring I need to make one good gunner set too.
    Agnaktor X looks good, next armour set I really really want is mostly Nether with some Diablos X piece and Dober Helm Guild Bard Boots X, but that's late g-rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 zubasa2001

Glad to see I'm not the only hunter around :) Since I moved to Ireland I was afraid there was no one who appreciated this wonderful series!

Agnaktor X looks good, next armour set I really really want is mostly Nether with some Diablos X piece and Dober Helm Guild Bard Boots X, but that's late g-rank.

What's Nether armour got going for it?

I was considering aiming for a good pierce gunner set (If Hallowed Jhen Moran is easy to kill, I thought Grand Amangi looks badass), but I'm hearing a lot that pierce isn't as good as it used to be, and you need so many additional skills to make it work (recoil + Deviation down) that it's just as good, if not better to go for a random gunner set with high attack power and fire off nothing but normal 2 shots.

I was going to make Narga gunner gear (Evade+2, Evade up) but that's so generic I think I might be better off going with some Rath Soul gunner gear for the Critical Eye bonuses.

I also don't really have any aspirations for good gearsets for the non-blocking Blademaster weapons. I should really make something for all those poor neglected weapons that aren't the Lance =/
    zubasa2001 wrote: »
    Glad to see I'm not the only hunter around :) Since I moved to Ireland I was afraid there was no one who appreciated this wonderful series!

Dude I am appreciating the HELL out this game :D

• Advertisement

Dude I am appreciating the HELL out this game :D
    Great to hear :)

I was starting to believe I was the only one to have bought this game - I went trough MHFU and MHP3rd with a bunch of friends and it just feels weird to solo this.

Fun, infuriating at times and definitely weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well few of us are just casual peasants at it and we still loving it! Those two boys here are titans of damn irish mh3 series. We just google every second word those two say and try to make smart faces! :D

What's Nether armour got going for it?
    Nether, with Diablos Helm X and Guild Bard Boots X (and a 3 slot talisman) can be gemmed for Crit Draw and Honed Blade which incorporates
    Sharpness+1 and Attack Up L
    , alternatively if I get a +1 Edgemaster Talisman I can make it with Nether Greaves instead.

Just found out that there are 197 charms which meet either of the criteria I need
    out of 21600
    !

lol, we're into shiny pokemon statistical territory now.

I don't want to alarm the new players and I have carefully avoided discussing it up to this point, but are you sure you have 197 valid charms on your particular table?

Also I'm totally gonna steal that Nether armour idea whenever I get around to a Greatsword set ;)

• Advertisement

lol, we're into shiny pokemon statistical territory now.

I don't want to alarm the new players and I have carefully avoided discussing it up to this point, but are you sure you have 197 valid charms on your particular table?

Also I'm totally gonna steal that Nether armour idea whenever I get around to a Greatsword set ;)

Yep, 30 with Edgemaster + X and 167 with 3 slots. Table 10

Well mortal will speak. I know, boring lol.

So I captured 3 more rathians and killed one. Crafted full set and missing plate. Drop rate of witch is 3% on tail carving and 1% on quest reward...
    To make it better I googled rathian armour acsidently. I got back a wall of forum messages with "rathian armour is crap" or "noobs wear rathian"... Lovely.
    Now when I looked closer in to it, it is sort of bad... Though I think it is a bit different from monster hunter tri?

So I am back to drawing board. Looks like jaggi will be my friend for very long!

Man, I don't have those kinda plans for my end game gearset, but I tempted to make a gearset with "Charm Chaser". Look at the gearsets though, it's just Guild Bard/Scholar X (Which I have the LR armour of), or get 6 points in Azuros X and gem in the other 4 (I have no gems of that type in my shop). Both of those options seem really unappealing to me.

And btw it was Agnaktor Z, not X I was aiming for: Guard+2, Guard Up, Mind's Eye.

Drop rate of witch is 3% on tail carving and 1% on quest reward...
    To make it better I googled rathian armour acsidently. I got back a wall of forum messages with "rathian armour is crap" or "noobs wear rathian"... Lovely.

This is just residual Tri bias. Anyone wearing Rathian got a lot of crap in Tri because annoying MH nerds hate seeing people use gearsets they regard as suboptimal.

LR (Low Rank) Rathian gear in 3U has:

Health +20 = This is useless since you can eat at the canteen for health +50
    Fire Atk+1 = Great if you're using a fire weapon, does nothing otherwise (and everything you are going to fight in the Tundra will be weak to fire)
    Recovery Up = Health recovery items restore 25% extra. That's a great skill for new players
    Recovery speed DOWN = Negative skill. Slows how fast your red health turns back into green. You can gem this out if you want.

As far as gearsets go, this is okay. If you want to make it, more power to you, but getting a plate can be pretty hard. The simple answer though is that if you want to wear it, wear it. It'll probably be a massive defense boost, and will definitely give you significant fire res.

For comparison I went through most of low and high rank wearing Guild Bard/Scholar which has:

Health +20 = Just as useless as your Rathian's health +20
    Autotracker = Shows me where the monster is on the map, and what way it's facing. Handy if I don't know where the monster is, but useless otherwise. This skill can be replaced by psychoserums and paintballs
    Good luck = Does nothing during the quest. On the quest reward screen I MIGHT get slightly more rewards.
    Taunt = Negative skill. Monsters are more likely to attack me than anyone else. I don't gem this out because if Monsters want to go for me that's their funeral :cool:

So I would argue that Rathian armour, since it has 1 offensive skill, and 1 healing skill, is far better than the armour I used to beat all of the early game with, since mine just had silly convenience skills that don't affect battle.

I always tell people not to think of skills in terms of "good" and "bad" but more along the lines of "Will it be useful" and "Is it easily replaced by an item".

So go for Rathian if you want it (it will probably be great in the Tundra if you forge a Fire LS), but I do not envy your future plate farming :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

My attitude towards Rathian armour is this :

When I was hunting my first Querepco, a Rathian showed up and scared the shmidt out of me. So first I stole its babies and next I'm going to wear its face for a belt.

Table 10? I don't think I'm going to like what that means... I was hoping it was a player guide reference but there was a mention of shiny Pokémon - is there some sort of statistical system that's pre-determined at the start of your game (like the nature and potential shinyness of a legendary)?

Strange as it may sound, I am currently farming Rathians for my HR Rathian S (gunner)... In MHP3rd I grew fond of my Gold 'ian armor (or "the Disco Nazi" armor as my friends would call it), so I decided to create a downgraded version in Ultimate (I'd like to point out that I am hunting green rathians in my Pink Rathian swordsman armor - what's with me and 'Ians these days?).

It may not be the best armor but it's still playable and I like it...

Phew, I made one attempt at the urgent quest for G*2/7* port quests last night, and it is tricky.

I need to output a fairly significant amount of damage in a short amount of time without being killed in two hits (because my gear is pretty crappy for the rank I'm at).
    I was worried about running out of time, so I played kinda recklessly and ultimately failed.
    Next time I try I'm gonna go with a LR Barroth mix for Guard skills instead of Volvidon S's evasion, but it means I'm going to have even LESS defense. Hopefully that works out.

Regarding charm tables: I really really didn't want to go into these in this topic to keep the new players' experiences pure but I'll try and give a brief explanation.

Think of me like a parent trying to preserve the innocence of childhood =/

I'm going to assume by reading this you already know what charms/talismans are (that last equipment slot).

Any charm you get after the Autoguard+10 one isn't randomly generated. All charms you get are premade, but randomly given to you from a table of 21k potential charms.

There are 17 such tables, and you're randomly assigned one at character creation. You will have this permanently on this character with no way to change it.

What this means is that if you're after a very specific/particular charm, it is possible to check if it exists on your table (since it's all preset). But it is also possible that exact charm you want ISN'T on your table (but is on different ones), meaning you can never get it (this is pretty much why the internet is in uproar).

Keep in mind though, that even if you want one exact charm from a table, you're still talking about a 1 in 21,000-ish chance of getting it, which might never happen. It's really only the difference between "practically impossible" and "statistically improbable". (Like getting a shiny pokemon, for example)

Japanese players dissected the game information ages ago (21k charms per table x 17 tables), and decided which tables were "best" for particular weapon classes etc.

They also devised a way to choose what charm table you end up on, by screwing with your system clock before making your character.

So pretty much all Western opinion on this is derived from Japanese research.

.......now the only reason anyone cares about this, is that it was found that 5 of 17 tables don't actually have 21,000 charms. They have closer to 200, and poor quality ones at that. These were called the "Cursed tables".

So if you're super into Monster Hunter and plan on spending hundreds and hundreds of hours, and making precisely one gearset (Like Venom was saying), it's not a bad idea to decide your table before you make your character (this is impossible for new players to do).

If you're more casual (or you just care less, like me), it's really just worth checking that your table isn't one of the cursed ones, because when you get to the END of the game, you're going to feel very hampered in your freedom of charms.

There's a program you can download here (http://forums.minegarde.com/topic/6766-athenas-charm-table-search-for-mh3g-and-mh3u/) where you can either input the charms you've received so far, OR your haul from your fishing boats (they're all oddly interconnected); and it will tell you what table you're on. If anyone cares to check.

The other posts and videos in that linked topic should explain things further for anyone who cares to look into it more.

Sorry I had to pull the veil of blissful ignorance away.

You're all adults now.

Long post

Well explained post, will be useful for people that got a bit confused.

My brother has decided to swap weapons again after we decimated the Brachydios challenge while he was using one, I don't think he'll ever settle on 1 or 2 weapons to use. We'll reach you someday, G-Rank!

EDIT: Were you talking about the G1 to G2 Urgent or G2 to G3? Personally I'm not looking forward to the G2 to G3, knowing what it is :o

Well explained post, will be useful for people that got a bit confused.

Thanks. I've been avoiding it for as long as possible. My first post in this topic could have been "Does anyone have this game and aren't charm tables stupid?". So much self restraint.....
    We'll reach you someday, G-Rank!

EDIT: Were you talking about the G1 to G2 Urgent or G2 to G3? Personally I'm not looking forward to the G2 to G3, knowing what it is :o

The urgent in G1, so that I move into G2 (and Agnaktor Z armour)
    So technically it's a G2 quest (since that's how urgents work)

Where are you guys based? I'm Dublin city centre.

It'd be great to do some of these hard quests with people, instead of solo-ing G-Rank content in LR Gear. I feel like a paper man alone in a world of bricks.

I live in Cork (centre)

For the time being I would just be delighted to have someone to exchange guild cards with - I understand I can send the hunters I meet to do quests for me...

• Advertisement

The urgent in G1, so that I move into G2 (and Agnaktor Z armour)
    So technically it's a G2 quest (since that's how urgents work)

Where are you guys based? I'm Dublin city centre.

It'd be great to do some of these hard quests with people, instead of solo-ing G-Rank content in LR Gear. I feel like a paper man alone in a world of bricks.

Ah right, gotcha.

We're near the Kildare Border (still in Dublin), but no offense, I'm not sure meeting up with some guy in the city centre to play Monster Hunter is something myself or my brother would be up for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FLOODY777

Just about to tackle the Pink Rathian 6* Village key quest... This will unlock the Urgent Quest for me (
    and, I believe, our old friend from MHFU: Plesioth
    ). At least a certain attack has been fixed!

Yesterday took on/finished 'Siren's Song' - That was a good test!...

This is a solo (3DS/ No Wii U) game for me and I read on another forum that after you complete LR village...you should do all of LR port...then start HR village! Is this true? Are there any benefits in doing this? I'd prefer to just crack on with HR village.........

FLOODY777 wrote: »
    This is a solo (3DS/ No Wii U) game for me and I read on another forum that after you complete LR village...you should do all of LR port...then start HR village! Is this true? Are there any benefits in doing this? I'd prefer to just crack on with HR village.........

The only reason I can think of are the restaurant quests that unlock new food Items for the felyne cook... 3 of them are in LR port.

I have to do the very same village urgent - just took my time farming pink rathians and that lovely Peco hammer.

Ah right, gotcha.
    no offense, I'm not sure meeting up with some guy in the city centre to play Monster Hunter is something myself or my brother would be up for.

Yeah that's fair enough, it would be much more of a novelty for me to play with two extra people, than it would for you guys (who duo'd most of the game), to play with one extra.

We've already had one city-centre coffee-shop meetup, I'd be down for another.
    FLOODY777 wrote: »

Nah, ignore them. As Zubasa said it's only worth it if you want a better kitchen (which IS very handy), but the only real reason to advance your port is so that you can do higher level quests in multiplayer, which doesn't sound like it's an immediate concern for you.

Personally I'm just sniping the port: Doing all the key quests and urgents to get as far as I can without stopping to upgrade my gear.

The only time I do a non-necessary port quest is if it upgrades my kitchen, or if I'm farming a particular monster. Like when I needed 7 Qurupeco flintstones to finish off some gear, I figured I may as well check that I've done all the indivdual port and village Qurupeco quests, rather than repeating the same single one.

I live in Cork (centre)

For the time being I would just be delighted to have someone to exchange guild cards with - I understand I can send the hunters I meet to do quests for me...

I am in Co. Cork myslef, though I am in Mallow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

With it being my 21st and all picked up myself a 3DS XL just to play monster hunter

About 2 hours played so far and can i say i am really enjoying the game so far and i had a 3DS before but i sold it as there really wasn't anything to play on it but the XL is so much better as its easier on the eyes and easier on the hands on playing it

Like have done 2 quests so far how long before i get to fight my 1st monster ?

With it being my 21st and all picked up myself a 3DS XL just to play monster hunter

About 2 hours played so far and can i say i am really enjoying the game so far and i had a 3DS before but i sold it as there really wasn't anything to play on it but the XL is so much better as its easier on the eyes and easier on the hands on playing it

Like have done 2 quests so far how long before i get to fight my 1st monster ?

you mean when you will get your nipples twisted of by G. Jaggi. Soon my pet, soon! ;)

Well. I think I am giving up on getting full rathian set. Killed/captured 6 rathians with extra carvings and still did not got plate. So I just moved on.
    Killed volvidon and oh my! The set is very tasty! Looks like a proper improvement over jaggi set!

I gave a try to switch axe and I really liked it! I tried low level bone one. Just wanted to see mechanics and it looks like very handy weapon. A mix between long sword and great sword. How much damage penalty you get in axe form lads? What is the best combo of it too?

I need to try out great sword now.

I need to try out great sword now.

I recently swapped from using mainly hammer to using mainly greatsword, it is just so much fun.

• Advertisement

I recently swapped from using mainly hammer to using mainly greatsword, it is just so much fun.

I had ago at great sword. It has to be used charged and it is a pain in a whole. G. Jaggi was slapping me around like a child. :(
    I am going to make myself switch axe instead. Great balance!
    I want to make lagiacrus one, but missing spikes. A bit annoying... Killed one more today and did not got a single one.

Advertisement