Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Had a go of one there for the laugh. Not a big fan. While I slapped an entry level G. Jaggi around with it I would not have fancied my chances against a Ludroth or Gobul. I presume the Great Sword is the "pro" weapon since its so slow and deals such huge damage? So if you know your quarry's moves and behaviour you can always be waiting with a charged smack on the head/tail/wing? And if you don't you'll be flat on your r's most of the time?

Hooray, HR4. Gobul was tough, and I lost a whole lot of reward money getting smacked around by him but he's another notch on my bbq grill now

• Registered Users Posts: 8 zubasa2001

My best friend and his wife went trough MH, MHF2, MHFU and MHP3rd equipping almost exclusively GSs - I guess it can't be a bad weapon after all...
    Me, I'm more of a Switch Axe/Hammer person (even if my first love was the Gunlance).
    The best thing of MH however, is how the gameplay changes depending on which weapon you use - even when you have completed each and every quest you can still try a new weapon.

Currently I am farming mats for a HB - just to see if it makes farming a certain piscine wyvern less frustrating

How much damage penalty you get in axe form lads? What is the best combo of it too?

I believe you actually deal more damage per strike in Axe form - still, sword form is way faster, has in-built ESP and you get to use the phials, so I guess you end up dealing more damage this way.

The basic Axe combo is pretty neat and I like the infinite combo (X + A, A, A, A...), which is good for cutting tails when the monster is down (but I should probably say "dealing cut damage to tails").

The "uppercut" (X + A) has excellent vertical reach (careful, it may send other hunters flying) and you can switch to Sword form during a combo by pressing R instead of X when the next Axe strike is going to be a downward slash (for instance Forward + X, R)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FLOODY777

I recently swapped from using mainly hammer to using mainly greatsword, it is just so much fun.

Agreed - I started using LS...then expanded to mixing it up with GS and Hammer. I find particular weapons fit certain situations much better than others...but, of course, it's all about what works best for your own playstyle.

I'm now on 7* village......... The 6* Urgent Quest was a bit easy (or else I'm getting much better!). The monster was also better thanks to less dodgy hitboxes that existed in MHFU!

Completed the 2 Volvidons quest - Killed the 1st...captured the 2nd! :D

The Jade Barroth quest is also complete.

To those past 7* quests -
    This tier appears to be very short. I believe if I complete the Baleful Gigginox quest now...the 7* Urgent Quest will open. Is it worth sniping/skipping quests all the way to the credits rolling at the end of 9*...then going back to complete unfinished ones? What will I miss out on?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well played more with switch axe. Nice and all, but I long sword is just a lot better for me. Though I will give it more time.

On the other note: still trying to get volvadin? Armor. Annoying as I am short on scales and other part and ofcourse those don't drop :(.

Off to bed now. Work again. So far I clocked 40h on mh3. Damn...

• Advertisement

Hmmm, I'm at 35 hours and I've only just opened the HR5 Lagiacrus mission (my phones spellchecker suggested the word Lagiacrus after 3 letters.... Bad sign?) - I think I need to pick up the pace

After reading the last of posts I realised you can press buttons at the same time - that long sword dodge-slash (is that the fade-slash I've read about?) has changed my game!

Lagombi and I finally got officially introduced. He did not get on well with my new chainsaw LS. Not at all. Finally starting to feel the top of the foodchain awesomeness that the first G. Jaggi delivered again. I'm sure Lagiacrus will put paid to that soon enough though.

Banjo wrote: »
    Hmmm, I'm at 35 hours and I've only just opened the HR5 Lagiacrus mission (my phones spellchecker suggested the word Lagiacrus after 3 letters.... Bad sign?) - I think I need to pick up the pace

After reading the last of posts I realised you can press buttons at the same time - that long sword dodge-slash (is that the fade-slash I've read about?) has changed my game!

Lagombi and I finally got officially introduced. He did not get on well with my new chainsaw LS. Not at all. Finally starting to feel the top of the foodchain awesomeness that the first G. Jaggi delivered again. I'm sure Lagiacrus will put paid to that soon enough though.

Lagiacrus is annoying one. It's puss easy on the surface and in water he turns in to battery powered dildo. From all monsters he is the only one that gives me most hassle, but it is mostly due to my lack of skills in uunderwater combat in games as general.

By the way, I decided to do obe more run before bed last night and I got a part I was missing! Woot!!!! I made a full volvadin? ( can't remember full name lol) set. It looks fantastic on my female hunter ;). Huge boost in defence and Damon good skills. Finally Jaggi set will get some rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I'm at 85 hours and still only HR4 :o, been taking my time with it, farming weapons and stuff.

I'm at 85 hours and still only HR4 :o, been taking my time with it, farming weapons and stuff.

HR level is the level that is on your save file, right? Well my one is HR1 after 40h in! :p

Unlocked 8* village quests last night...

I'm still only using HR Great Jaggi armour... Might start looking at mixing sets.

This might sound like a funny question (considering how far into the game I am) - If you never looked at the MH Wiki...how would you ever determine a monster's elemental weakness? Is it only, for example, when you can see the flames of a fire weapon when you attack one weak to fire?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I'm onto G*2. Beat my urgent using a longsword, which is a weapon I have no familiarity with. Just ran around a lot and went nuts whenever the monsters stood still.

Not the elegant Lance victory I was hoping for, but it'll do.
    FLOODY777 wrote: »
    If you never looked at the MH Wiki...how would you ever determine a monster's elemental weakness? Is it only, for example, when you can see the flames of a fire weapon when you attack one weak to fire?!

Nothing in-battle gives you any hint. Monster Hunter needs to take some more lessons from Pokemon, like something equivalent to "It's Super Effective!"

The game does have an effect for when you hit the monster in it's weakpoint for massive damage, which is where there's a big purplish flash and the game slows down a little to emphasis the power of the hit.

But for ELEMENTAL weaknesses, the only way to tell is to kill the monster first, and then look up it's armour in the shop afterwards.

Thanks Uber.

Also, for clarity, when I'm upgrading a weapon...I always focus on the increase in raw power. If it has additional elemental damage...I only see that as a bonus for monsters weak to it. I obviously look at the sharpness too. In other words I favour raw over elemental each time. Am I doing it the 'right' way? (Or should I have a few of the strongest available weapons to exploit different elemental weaknesses?).

Thanks Uber.

Also, for clarity, when I'm upgrading a weapon...I always focus on the increase in raw power. If it has additional elemental damage...I only see that as a bonus for monsters weak to it. I obviously look at the sharpness too. In other words I favour raw over elemental each time. Am I doing it the 'right' way? (Or should I have a few of the strongest available weapons to exploit different elemental weaknesses?).

I am no expert, but I found Raw Damage and Sharpness to be most important. Then I try to have few different weapons with Different elemental damages.

Looking at the available weapons neither approach is wrong since they have weapons of similar levels that cater for both raw output and elemental damage. At the end of the day the means is up to the hunter, so long as you deliver the kill!

I was judging HR based on the levels of missions in the village that I was doing. I may be massively overstating my status ;) Im Hang on, to see the level on your save file... Wouldn't you have to quit the game? Why would you need to do that on 3ds?

Thanks Uber.

I'm gonna quote myself referencing myself:

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but the golden rule for most blademaster weapons is to prioritise upgrades based on the following stats:

Sharpness > Raw damage > Elemental Damage > Affinity OR Status (debatable)

Keep in mind this is only true for comparing two weapons of the same type (Longsword vs Longsword), because MH uses a kind of dishonest maths multiplier to display raw attack power between the weapon classes, so Hammer and Greatsword will always display higher attack power numbers than SNS or DB, even though that's not actually true.

So when you kill a monster that lets you make one of every weapon "from scratch" from it's carves, it's safe to assume that all these weapons have exactly identical attack power, even though they look completely different.

Well. Made myself a nice fire switch axe. I really start loving this weapon. It works on lagiacrus farming too! Stupidly enough, lagiacrus plate dropped and I still can't get rathian plate... Have feck all use for lagiacrus plate too.

45h and I finally decided to put attack decorations in to jaggi and vol armour. I know, I am good lol. At least now I know how those work!

So, hunted a Giant Baggi. Not sure why they stuck it in the 4th tier of village meetings, unless it's just to space out him, the G. Jaggi and the Wroggi so you didn't get sick of the same fight over and over.

Having said that, in a subsequent mission to hunt 20 Baggi he turned up at around the 15 mark. While fighting him and wearing him down to a dribbling, dozing wreck, I accidentally racked up another 5 kills and got a Quest complete, which lead to an exhilarating 50 second flurry of wild swings to try and bring him down before I got beamed back home. I did it, with just enough time to spare to loot him once, but damn it was close :)

Sometimes though... do you ever stop to think that really, in MH you are the bad guy? Your running into an ecosystem, terrifying the occupants, slaughtering them, eating the flesh from their bones - sometimes right in front of their friends and relations! - and turning their skin into clothes? I used to play games to stop people like me!

Edit : Incidentally, got my first Streetpass hit for MH3, from a mighty hunter named "Bob". This momentous occasion has had a grand total of zero effect on my game so far.

So, hunted a Giant Baggi. Not sure why they stuck it in the 4th tier of village meetings, unless it's just to space out him, the G. Jaggi and the Wroggi so you didn't get sick of the same fight over and over.

Having said that, in a subsequent mission to hunt 20 Baggi he turned up at around the 15 mark. While fighting him and wearing him down to a dribbling, dozing wreck, I accidentally racked up another 5 kills and got a Quest complete, which lead to an exhilarating 50 second flurry of wild swings to try and bring him down before I got beamed back home. I did it, with just enough time to spare to loot him once, but damn it was close :)

Sometimes though... do you ever stop to think that really, in MH you are the bad guy? Your running into an ecosystem, terrifying the occupants, slaughtering them, eating the flesh from their bones - sometimes right in front of their friends and relations! - and turning their skin into clothes? I used to play games to stop people like me!

food_chain_logo.gif

I really need to read damn list of items needed lol. Got stuff needed for village request to progress further in to 5 stars. Opened 3 more monsters to fight. The names of those monsters are not the most warming. Rathalos, diablos? And so,e sort of other fella too. Something tells me I will be in a world of paid. Tomorrow! :)

@Uber - Got the PDF guide (all 500+ pages!) yesterday. It'll 'negate' loads of questions from me on here now! It seemed to suggest that elemental outweighs raw on the SnS in the importance stakes due to low attack power. I can now understand why your weapon of choice is the lance!!! I'll be trying that now to broaden options to fit my preferred playstyle.

I also played a little game of guess the elemental weakness of each monster I hadn't yet fought...and how it tied in those I'd already battled. I got them all right! The general rule appears to plan your attack based on THEIR environment / attack. Eg. A monster in the volcano region who does a lightning attack will likely be immune to thunder and weakest to Ice (probably most) and water. It's all a bit obvious...and I think I was over-complicating it before!

• Advertisement

Anyone using LBG and HBG?
    I tried using the Uragaan HBG on a HR Crimson Peco - I was amazed at how easily it went down. Same for the Baleful Gigginox - beaten by the mediocre Ludroth LBG (even if I stupidly let him pin me and kill me once - won't happen again).

Turns out that the Baleful Giggi armor is actually pretty good for SA and Hammer users - especially with Lagiacrus weapons.

By the way, does the Armor Skill Stamina Drain add up to the "inbuilt" stamina drain of hammers or does it simply add this ability to the other weapons?

@Uber - Got the PDF guide (all 500+ pages!) yesterday. It'll 'negate' loads of questions from me on here now!

Yeah the Brady guide is great. It is a shame there isn't legitimate way to purchase it for cash money in Europe. I have definitely gotten $15 worth of value out of it.
    It seemed to suggest that elemental outweighs raw on the SnS in the importance stakes due to low attack power.

For SnS, don't go too elementally nuts, there were some guys in Tri who did some damage tests with different SnS and if you compared weapons which had stats of (I'm paraphrasing slightly):

100 raw 400 element

250 raw 250 element

500 raw no element

They found in tests that the 250/250 SnS outperformed the other two. So with very element heavy weapons (SnS, DB, Lance, LS, Bow?) you should try to go for whatever gives you the higher numbers, but still a good balance and not heavily skewed towards raw OR element.

I can now understand why your weapon of choice is the lance!!! I'll be trying that now to broaden options to fit my preferred playstyle.

I'm not sure what in the Brady guide that makes Lance look cool?

My choice of Lance wasn't academic or educated. I knew nothing about the game or the system mechanics behind it. I was wearing a full mix of gear from every monster for the highest defense that (of course) resulted in no armour skills.

I was probably about 40 hours FURTHER into Monster Hunter Freedom Unite than any of you new players are in Ultimate, and I didn't have a clue...

The answer to the question of why I picked Lance is the same as to the question "What do you get if you take a T-Rex, make him a quadruped, replace his useless forearms with giant projectile throwing claws and give him the ability to fly?"

Motherfecking Tigrex

Tigrex.png

This dude kicked my ass a bunch of times before I overcame him.

I actually forget what my original weapon was, but my dodging abilities were insufficient and I failed over and over. I tried ranged weapons, LBG, HBG, Bow. Nope. All dead.

His hitboxes were too big, the areas you fight him in were too small, and my dodging was too terrible. I gave up on dodging. I decided to try to block.

I grabbed a Lance, I made a set of Guard+2 gear and I jumped straight back in.

Tigrex got absolutely bopped. It didn't even feel fair to the poor guy.
    At that point there was no going back for me. I was a Lancer.

It's funny too, because it was MHFU where I learned my Lancing, but then in Tri that weapon got one of the best buffs for exactly my style of player, in the form of the counterstab.

You better believe that when Lagiacrus showed up to eat me in the first Monster Guts quest, and all I was was a naked hunter with a bone Lance; I did not run. I beat his face until he fled.

"I cut my teeth on Tigrex son. You don't want a piece of a this!"

The Lance has been heavily nerfed since Tri though. Clearly Lagiacrus went and complained to mommy Capcom about me :P
    It's all a bit obvious...and I think I was over-complicating it before!

I think it's easy to say that something is obvious once you spend a certain amount of time gaining knowledge in that area. No matter how far I get into these games, I don't think I'll ever consider any of the mechanics obvious. I'll always say to new players "Fantastic games. Terrible/non-existent tutorial. Deep mechanics they won't ever explain to you."

For example I made a set of high rank "Rath Soul" gunner gear to replace my Jaggi gunner gear (finally), and decided to gun my way through the G*2 quests I need to do (High rank gunner gear on G rank quests is just as pathetic defensively as you might think).

I decided to gun a Rathalos, so I looked up his "shot" weakpoints, which are seperate from impact, cut or elemental weakpoints.

"Okay" I thought "Clearly his head is the WEAKEST point. But what's the next weakest if I don't have a clear shot at the head? Belly?"

No

"Neck?"

No

"Tail?"

Nope, it's Leg

"Leg?"

Yes leg.

Not only is that not very intuitive, I'm pretty sure that's different from previous games. I ended up gunning Rathalos exactly as I would have attacked any large monster with a low-reach blademaster weapon: Go for the head, if you can't reach the head, go for the legs until they fall over THEN go for the head.

Whoops, that was a pretty long post, haha :D

I'm not sure what in the Brady guide that makes Lance look cool?

This:

"immaculate defence"..."extreme attack power"..."defend most attacks without taking any red life"..."dealing tremendous damage to enemies that try to attack"...

Who doesn't want any of the above right?!
    It's funny too, because it was MHFU where I learned my Lancing, but then in Tri that weapon got one of the best buffs for exactly my style of player, in the form of the counterstab.

Most importantly this! Having tried the weapon in MHFU...I found that to be the missing ingredient. I'd overlooked the lance in this game...and the guide has now peaked my interest in it! However...it's all about preferred play-style.
    I think it's easy to say that something is obvious once you spend a certain amount of time gaining knowledge in that area.

That's very true. Hindsight, with knowledge, is a powerful thing that makes you wonder why you couldn't understand the logic in the first place! Actually, It wasn't until I came to this game from MHFU that I fully understood how armour skills worked!!! I look forward to getting back to that game armed with my newfound information. MH3U is far more forgiving for new players.
    Whoops, that was a pretty long post, haha :D

:D Never apologise! I find all your posts extremely helpful. I salute your 'G Rank' hunter skills.........

:D Never apologise! I find all your posts extremely helpful. I salute your 'G Rank' hunter skills.........

2nded!

Not just helpful, entertaining! Makes me wish I was a better player.

But I'm not.
    Tried the lance, don't think it's for me. While I was able to defeat some old favourites (G Jaggi, G Baggi, Queropeco, Royal Ludroth) it just felt like I was glued to the spot. I missed rolling and fade-slashing all over the shop with my chain-saw sword, especially against the Baggi - I had a lot of trouble pulling off the wide sweep when I needed it so kept getting swamped and sleep-gicked on. It does seem to do humongous damage though, so I can see it getting pulled out of retirement when I finally grow some balls and go after the Rathian I've been avoiding.

Well lads, I finally met rathalos. And I captured his sorry arse lol. Killed one too. Game me a ton of New weapons to craft! The rathaloshead hammer looks cool! Killed one more too. So looks like I will be able to farm these easy. I guess Mr quest for rathian plate really made me tougher for these flying bastard! :D

Then I encountered barioth. Now that's one nasty creature. Still captured it, but my god did it stomped my pride! Challenge accepted! :D

Where are you lads? Please don't just dig your self in guides and abandon community!

Anyway, I guess I'll talk to myself again. So I killed Diablos, captured barioth and one more rathalos. Very nasty rathalos, killed me twice! First time ever I got beaten so bad! This one was extra nasty with fireballs and just generally doing chain bum hoping me :(.

I am starting to have a real nice weapon collection, but my armor set collection needs improvement. Haggis really really starts to show its age!
    By the way, an I the only one who finds elemental attack skills to be stupidly placed on gear. For example the gear that has high fire resistance will have fire enchantment skill for fire weapons. Now if we turn on logic: when you put on fire resistance gear, it means you will fight fire monster, so you won't use fire weapon, but water or ice!!!

Anyway, Diablos armor looks cool, but volvadin is a good armour for fire. I need something for ice and maybe water now.
    another question: I am on 5 star village end quests I guess. Do I continue with village quest or I better start some port stuff?

Check out port if you're curious but finishing village will be better for you in the long haul.

G rank quests are harder to key/urgent snipe, since they make you do quests to unlock the quests that unlock the quests that unlock the key quests that unlock the urgent. Also I'm pretty sure the info in the guides for this point in the game is wrong so my progress has slowed right down...

So now I'm just being boring and upgrading some weapons. Haven't made any G rank armours yet, I'm still rocking my classic sets of:

LR Blade: Jaggi, Wroggi, Guild Bard/Scholar
    LR Gun: Jaggi
    HR Blade: Volvidon S, Agnaktor U
    HR Gun: Rath Soul

I'm playing around with making a custom armour set to expedite the process of getting rare items from tail carves. I'll try out a few things and let you guys know when I find what I think is best.

Also I'm pretty sure the info in the guides for this point in the game is wrong so my progress has slowed right down...
    Couple of people I know who also play the game have told me that the Brady guide is wrong in numerous places, but it's still decent reference, the MH wikia is even worse.

I've heard this is a good tool to use, someone has begun porting it to Android as well.
    https://sites.google.com/site/pingsmh3gdex/

Couple of people I know who also play the game have told me that the Brady guide is wrong in numerous places, but it's still decent reference, the MH wikia is even worse.

I've heard this is a good tool to use, someone has begun porting it to Android as well.
    https://sites.google.com/site/pingsmh3gdex/

Yeah at this point the guide is doing stuff like

"You need to beat all the quests in set D to unlock further quests"

*flags all quests as either set E or set F*

Then it names a bunch of questnames with required monsters, none of which seem to exists.

I dunno am I stupid, but I can't find a windows download link on the page you shared. Just URLs to their facebook page and android app.

• Advertisement

Yeah at this point the guide is doing stuff like

"You need to beat all the quests in set D to unlock further quests"

*flags all quests as either set E or set F*

Then it names a bunch of questnames with required monsters, none of which seem to exists.

I dunno am I stupid, but I can't find a windows download link on the page you shared. Just URLs to their facebook page and android app.
    You have to click English first, https://sites.google.com/site/pingsmh3gdex/en_us

Advertisement