Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 3 Episode 13 "Arrow on the doorpost" [**Spoilers**]

• 11-03-2013 4:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Excellent episode, really sets up the last 3 for the season well.

Excellent acting by Morrissey during the interrogation scenes, Andrea is being played like a fool by him, still as dumb as ever :rolleyes:

Like the fact Rick was smart enough he know he'd kill Michonne and then go after them aswell, was I guess its kinda obvious.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Fuck me, that was a great episode. That is how TV is meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

I fúcking hate having to wait another 7 days for the next episode, and even more that in 21 days its over until September/October.

Brilliant episode, acting is unbelievably good in it, the emotion Rick shows throughout is gripping, and his final scene with Herschel when he asks him to talk him out of giving up Michonne felt very real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Great episode, loved the little nod from Daryll to Merle at the end as well!

Rick knows deep down handing Michonne over won't save them but it's still a tempting proposition - that "what if...." feeling. Let's be real if handing Michonne over would guarantee their safety at the prison she'd be handed over.

Loved the scenes with Rick mocking The Gov about his title!! Gotta say the 2 lead actors in the episode were class but i expected no less from Lincoln and Morrisey. It might be fair to say Lincoln took a while to settle into the character but from mid-season 1 onwards he's been fantastic.

I'm gonna give Andrea the benefit of the doubt and hope she knows what she's doing (for once!!) and only returned to Woodbury to be close enough to do something to help Rick and the gang.

I have a sneaky feeling that Andrea may ultimately sacrifice her life this season to kill The Gov or help Rick. She's one of the most unpopular characters in the show, her romantic arc with The Gov was brief, i can't see too many arcs they could do with her if she returned to the group. Wouldn't exactly shock to see that happen.

Hopefully Tyrese (and Morgan) have major roles to play in the upcoming war. Perhaps get past the threat of The Gov this season and have a main cast of Rick, Carl, Daryll, Maggie, Glen, Tyrese, Michonne, Merle (unlikely but here's hoping!) , then perhaps add a romantic interest for Rick, a new plot arc and some new faces and we're flying!

Very interesting that Merle was right (again) - Rick had the opportunity to kill The Gov but couldn't risk it being unsure as to whether they were surrounded or not. - but if Merle had his way they coulda rolled in, rolled over the henchmen and the Gov and that'd be that. Glenn may have hardened up and got a bit braver this season but Merle knows the score with The Gov.

Just saw Norman Reedus describing Merle brilliantly in an interview:

"he's kinda like your drunk uncle at a Xmas Party - you really can't take him anywhere. He's like a cobra, you don't know when he's ready to strike - but he's my cobra and i wanna keep him around"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

nothing happened again!

and andrea actress wonders why people hate her, blabbing about shane etc

nothing happened again!

and andrea actress wonders why people hate her, blabbing about shane etc

what show did you watch? The one i watched had the 2 main protagonists this season sitting down face-to-face in gripping scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Thought it was a very good episode, sets up the last 3 nicely. It racked up my tension levels so much I hate having to wait a week for the next episode! Like everyone has said, the main actors were great, as was Scott Wilson as Hershel. I liked the one-upmanship between Martinez and Daryl and then a sort of mutual respect. Also, for all the people complaining about Merle being introduced into the prison, the tension is still there, it's not happy families. It's obvious he's only there for Daryl's sake. His little conversation with Michonne made lol aswell, such a great character.

Also:
    "You could at least buy me a drink first"
    :D:D:D

Next weeks preview gives away a some plot I'd rather not have known. :(

I struggle to understand the "nothing happened" brigade. It would be like watching Heat and saying the scenes with Pacino and de Niro face to face was nothing happening because nobody was getting shot!

Heat isn't a bad comparison for this episode. Obviously impossible to recreate the visceral tension of that scene in that film, but for a tv show it did a pretty stellar job. And, like Heat, there were bullets flying before and after that sit-down and, like Heat, that sitdown was an integral part of the plot.

Meh i guess some will never be happy unless "something happens" as in a main character getting killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

I thought it was pretty weak. The dialogue, in particular, is cringeworthy at times.

For instance, after the length Andrea went to to bring the two sides together, it's not believable how little she cared about what the terms were between Rick and the Governor. The whole "I hope it works out" line was just weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I thought it was pretty weak. The dialogue, in particular, is cringeworthy at times.

For instance, after the length Andrea went to to bring the two sides together, it's not believable how little she cared about what the terms were between Rick and the Governor. The whole "I hope it works out" line was just weak.

I agree, this show just doesn't do dialogue scenes well, with maybe last week's episode being an exception,but I think that was mostly down to the acting of the black lad.

I don't need action scenes or the like to make this good, but there was no tension in the scenes between Rick and the Governor because I knew neither would do anything. Rick is not going to die and they weren't going to kill the governor off this early,so most of the episode centred around them and it had no tension and was boring.

The better scenes were actually the smaller ones outside with Darrell and the other chap and back at the prison between Merle and Glenn and the rest of the gang.

Yeah, but she has pretty much made up her mind as to what side she is on imo so she said that as a throwaway line, that's obviously not how she really feels. It was supposed to come across disingenuous from what I could see.

I struggle to understand the "nothing happened" brigade. It would be like watching Heat and saying the scenes with Pacino and de Niro face to face was nothing happening because nobody was getting shot!

Heat isn't a bad comparison for this episode. Obviously impossible to recreate the visceral tension of that scene in that film, but for a tv show it did a pretty stellar job. And, like Heat, there were bullets flying before and after that sit-down and, like Heat, that sitdown was an integral part of the plot.

Meh i guess some will never be happy unless "something happens" as in a main character getting killed.

that exactly what i was thinking, i think that scene in heat is SO overrated

i just catching up on the comics, i found myself flicking through all the huge dialogue bubbles, to see what actually happens, rarely bother to read them anymore.

i just catching up on the comics, i found myself flicking through all the huge dialogue bubbles, to see what actually happens, rarely bother to read them anymore.

I think it's the wrong show for you then buddy :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Next weeks preview gives away a some plot I'd rather not have known. :(
    Then don't watch them, it's not as if you don't know they're there by now!
    :eek:

don't ya think amc and the walking dead writers purposely make it seem like the battle will happen at any moment, i even thought for a moment theyd attack the prison while rick was away

its like im the only one to complain about twd stretching thing out too long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Great episode.
    I think the Gov has crossed a line with his wee sidekick, I expect him to turn on him very soon - possibly with Andrea.
    The Gov's line about knowing they had weapons was interesting 'that was some haul you brought back the other day' - letting them know he is watching the prison.
    Must have a spy/sniper up a tree (maybe even one of the walkers in disguise :D).
    I wonder what communication there is between the prison surveilance and Woodbury i.e how pre-warned would the Gov be if they were launching their attack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Rick should have killed him.

Merle is right, they need to just kill the Governor and be done with it. Himself and Michonne would be well suited to an assassination mission.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

what show did you watch? The one i watched had the 2 main protagonists this season sitting down face-to-face in gripping scenes.
    Gripping? That was about as gripping as a bar of soap.

I thought it was shíte myself.

Then don't watch them, it's not as if you don't know they're there by now!
    :eek:

Not always, depends on the file I download, some come with no credits, some come with credits + preview. Anyway, they usually don't give away too much, they just get you up for the next episode, but this weeks preview had a lot of dialogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

I thought Glenn or Maggie were gonna get a bullet at one point, I'm so worried now when I see a main character get a good bit of screentime, no one is safe

nitpick moment - how was Hershel driving with one leg?? genuine question.

good ep though - really excited for the next 3 weeks!!!

cjmcork wrote: »
    nitpick moment - how was Hershel driving with one leg?? genuine question.

Automatic transmission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

thanks - I thought there was an aul gear stick in the last ep of S2 when Glenn was driving..........though to be fair, I don't really care enough to go digging out the DVD! :-)

cjmcork wrote: »
    thanks - I thought there was an aul gear stick in the last ep of S2 when Glenn was driving..........though to be fair, I don't really care enough to go digging out the DVD! :-)

Well there will be but there will be no clutch. The gear stick will say "Park, Drive, Reverse" or something like that. Its usually shaped more like a T than a normal gear stick in my (limited) experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I enjoyed it, but one thing that did annoy me was why would Rick and Daryll take Herschel with them given his lack of mobility? Out to a meeting with huge danger from the Woodbury crew and of course the ever present threat of walkers. Didnt seem top logical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Loved it. It's really building now towards the conflict. The song that was playing as they returned to the prison was quality, really matched the situation imo.

Loved the way Rick basically just came out and admitted Herschel was his conscience.

KevIRL wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, but one thing that did annoy me was why would Rick and Daryll take Herschel with them given his lack of mobility? Out to a meeting with huge danger from the Woodbury crew and of course the ever present threat of walkers. Didnt seem top logical

I assumed it was because he couldn't bring Michonne or Merle with him as it would be too inflammatory. However leaving just Carol & Herschel back at the prison with those two is a recipe for trouble as there's no way he could interject if they kicked off. Whereas Glenn and Maggie are more than capable of holding their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

A return to form from last week. An enjoyable hour but I don't see how this was a particularly good episode. Dialogue throughout felt clichéd. I really can't get over Merle and Glenn even holding a conversation, and now Glenn is fighting him to stay in the prision?? That still doesn't add up for me in the slightest. The ending was very good when the music kicked in and both revealed their plans. Both sides should just kill off Rick and the Guv and be done with it all. They seem to get on fine amongst themselves :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Good episode. Not quite as great as is being said but good. Also, while yer man playing the Guv is a decent actor, he seems to get more praise than he deserves. Lotsa clichés certainly but par for the course at this stage.

Comic
    Michonne and Merle wanting to make a first strike on the prison echoes her and Tyreese's plan from the comics. I wonder if the outcome will be similar....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Good episode. A few thoughts on it.

1. I thought the Rick/Governor scene was really tense, especially at the start. I don't agree with this stuff about 'oh they weren't going to do anything so it wasn't really tense.' Even allowing for the gun being hidden there (and it looked well taped on so it would have been hard for him to take it out quick enough to get a shot off) anything could have happened in that room. The Governor really tried to mess around with Rick's head, bringing up Lori, Shane, the baby, Carl...but Rick was really composed.

I do think if he was staying true to the 'new' Rick he would have just shot the Governor there and then. But with three episodes left that obviously wasn't going to happen.

2. They should've listened to ol' Merle! I think it's clear that his words 'we should have got him when we had the chance' will be very prophetic.

3. Someone mentioned before about the music at the end ruining it a bit and I tend to agree. Even though I liked that closing music in this episode, why can't they just play a minute of it at most and why do they play it when people are talking??

4. Regarding someone earlier who said that the preview had a big spoiler....why watch it? Just switch it off as soon as the show is over! I stopped watching the previews long ago, they definitely give away too much.

5. And as for Andrea.....well, she couldn't have summed up her character any better when she said to Hershel: "I don't know what I'm doing here"....:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

You should pay attention to them more, they're full of interesting things like words and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Not a bad episode, but not one of the better ones either. Last week was how to do a conversation-heavy episode. The Rick/Guv scenes were ok, but could have done with a lot more tension. Only time I thought one might shoot the other was just before the opening credits. I liked how everyone else seemed to get along between the 2 groups, really shows that there would be little issue with them integrating but for the Governor's stubbornness.

It was also interesting that the Governor knows about the haul of guns they brought back, obviously he mentioned it to let Rick know he wont be able to carry off a surprise attack on Woodbury. Morgan could be in danger now of being killed and having the rest of his stash stolen by Woodbury, but I presume they don't know where Rick got the guns and probably assume whatever stash he happened upon, he took all of it. Would still be cool to see Morgan get it together and come to help out the prison.

Oh, one more thing... I know spoilers are allowed in this thread and obvi wouldn't read it without watching the ep first but surely they should be limited to what is shown in the episode the thread is about? You can make a case about whether or not discussing the "next week on the walking dead" should be allowed or not (i personally think this is ok under spoiler tags because it's essentially part of the episode), but i think dropping in external spoilers for the next episode and comic book comparisons should not be allowed, spoiler tags or not. There's a comic book discussion thread where you can make all the comparisons you like and I don't think major external spoilers should be posted anywhere on here. Either way i think some set rules/guidelines that get copied and pasted into each new episode thread are in order if mods can oblige. For example, the GoT forum has threads running side by side for those who have and have not read the books.

I'm sorry this is off topic, does anyone know how to see under spoiler tags using an ipad?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

I'm sorry this is off topic, does anyone know how to see under spoiler tags using an ipad?
    If you tap the spoiler tag it should appear. Works on my iphone

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    If you tap the spoiler tag it should appear. Works on my iphone

Not working for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CiaranTheGreat

It only works on the mobile version of the site

• Advertisement

Gripping? That was about as gripping as a bar of soap.

I thought it was shíte myself.

Perhaps fascinating was the word i should have reached for.

As a viewer we know that neither Rick or The Gov would kill each other, 3 ep's from the Finale, so in that respect there was no massive tension in the scenes. But it was still a meeting of minds and perspectives. If you didn't enjoy it that's cool, but i felt it was fascinating to see the similarities and differences between the 2 them thrashed out face to face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If you're using the full site on iPad, best thing is to quote the post with the spoilers in. You can read it there, then press Back to go back to the page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Think people are being a bit too generous to TWD this season.... last week was excellent but this episode was a bit bleh.

The scenes with The Governor and Rick were good (not nearly as epic as people make out!), but everything else was a bit scattered and not too entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Nice bit of tension in that episode. Rick and the governor in the shed was great, looked like it could have ended in a bloodbath.

Daryl and Martinez scene was great. Not just for the oneupsmanship in killing walkers, but their talk afterwards. They're two soldiers on opposite sides of the war, even though they don't really hate each other, and somewhat respect each other.

Hershel and Milton was pretty funny too. I suppose it shows how sheltered each group is. They've spent so long in their groups with no-one else to talk to, that they like having new people to talk to, even though they're extremely suspicious of any new people.

I also disagree with people saying that Merle was right. Technically, he was, but there's no way Glenn etc could have known that, and going with Merle's plan would have been far too risky. Like Glenn said, without it being part of Rick's plan, chances are they could have gotten caught in the crossfire or taken hostage. And while it appeared like there was only Governor, Martinez, Milton and Andrea, there's no telling if the Governor had other people down the road who would come in if they heard gunshots. Remember, Rick and Daryl searched around the place, and it turned out The Governor was already there. Even Andrea didn't know he was already there.

Overall, another good episode. It's been pretty solid in this half of the season bar Andrea's episode.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    I also disagree with people saying that Merle was right.

Agree with all of the above. Although when I say Merle was right, I meant, Rick shoulda killed the Governor when he had the chance. Not that Merle should have gone off making hunting calls to Daryl etc... (although Id believe that Merle could have gotten to where he wanted to be unnoticed).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

I personally think the sit down between Rick and the governor was only ok.
    Feel a bit of frustration on Ricks side because the gov not agreeing to his proposition and the way the gov seem to be draggging the meeting on.

Maybe it's like people said that one knows nothing was going to happen as compared to the scene when rick and Herschel was confronted by the 3 strangers in the bar wanting join their camp. That was really tense for me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Not a great episode tbh, dragged a bit in parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Basq wrote: »
    Think people are being a bit too generous to TWD this season.... last week was excellent but this episode was a bit bleh.

The scenes with The Governor and Rick were good (not nearly as epic as people make out!), but everything else was a bit scattered and not too entertaining.

I thought last weeks one was the best since the season opener, the Governor storyline has been dull as ditchwater in places, the attack on the prison and a few other moments aside its nowhere near as intense as the comics, and Andrea, showkiller extraordinaire, every time she's onscreen I want a walker to emerge from nowhere and bite her head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Daryl and Martinez scene was great. Not just for the oneupsmanship in killing walkers, but their talk afterwards. They're two soldiers on opposite sides of the war, even though they don't really hate each other, and somewhat respect each other.

I guess that means they'll end up fighting directly in the big showdown and Daryl has to win that one or they lose half the fans! Serves Martinez right for opening up a little about his past, assuming they follow the formula thus far of "minor character + back story = death".

I guess that means they'll end up fighting directly in the big showdown and Daryl has to win that one or they lose half the fans! Serves Martinez right for opening up a little about his past, assuming they follow the formula thus far of "minor character + back story = death".

I'd actually hope that maybe Martinez leaves during the battle. Realises The Governor has gone completely crazy and just gets out of there. Maybe shows up again in Season 5 or something. He could be a recurring friendly rival for Daryl. Popping up every now and again.

But yeah, he'll most likely be killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd actually hope that maybe Martinez leaves during the battle. Realises The Governor has gone completely crazy and just gets out of there. Maybe shows up again in Season 5 or something. He could be a recurring friendly rival for Daryl. Popping up every now and again.

But yeah, he'll most likely be killed.

Minor Martinez spoiler from the books. NOT THE COMICS, I'm talking about the novels 'Rise of the Governor' and 'Road to Woodbury':
    Martinez pretty much hates the governor and stages a coup at one stage and tries to kill him (drags him out into the woods to leave him tied up as Walker food), this has already happened before we even saw Woodbury in the show. I wonder if this will get alluded to in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Some boring episode. About 15 minutes of story stretched out over an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Some boring episode. About 15 minutes of story stretched out over an hour.

Thats the thing that gets me. I don't mind some slow scenes but when they drag something that could be done in 15 to 20 minutes out to 43 minutes it can get frustrating.

As I have said before the seasons are short enough as it is so episodes that drag out too much of one particular part of the story can be frustrating.

Last week you got away with it because there was the return of an old character and interest to what has happened him since season one. This week I feel they could have done the Rick/Gov scene easily in about 15 minutes and pushed on from there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

When did they start doing the music at the end?

Good episode too, looking forward to seeing how it pans out

• Advertisement
Advertisement