Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nosy neighbour

Options
  • 11-03-2013 5:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

i live in an estate where one guy go around reporting people who has no tax
    on there cars to the police 3 cars have been taken away ,
    he also picks up rubbish in bags which is good on him
    he reported there was a van with 2 men in it driving around estate turned out to be milkman .
    has sent out leaflets to houses and app to clean up the fronts ,he gone into my friends rented house and started purning her flowers
    he doest work himself so is proud of where he lives .
    but why is he reporting neighbours cars what really has it got to do with him
    he asked another eildery man to pick up cigs buts from his own front garden he scares a lot of people honest decent people who mind there own buisness ,why do people does stuff like this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Does he make lots of noise when nosey

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

dangerus06 wrote: »
    i live in an estate where one guy go around reporting people who has no tax
    on there cars to the police 3 cars have been taken away ,
    he also picks up rubbish in bags which is good on him
    he reported there was a van with 2 men in it driving around estate turned out to be milkman .
    has sent out leaflets to houses and app to clean up the fronts ,he gone into my friends rented house and started purning her flowers
    he doest work himself so is proud of where he lives .
    he asked another eildery man to pick up cigs buts from his own front garden he scares a lot of people honest decent people who mind there own buisness ,why do people does stuff like this
    Cars aren't just taken away for being a few days out with their tax, I'm guessing that the cars were more or less dumped in your estate?
    There are busybodys everywhere, I suppose they're put here to keep the rest of us on our toes!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

have you got a residents association?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Quite frankly, if I had a bush/tree in my front garden, he shouldn't and has no business coming onto your property to alter your floral arrangment, be it an intended or unintended arrangment. Nor does he have any right whatsoever to tell someone to pick up their cigarette buts from their own property.

The cartax thing, if it is on the road with no tax disc, he should report it, however, if it is in a garden, it is simply none of his business.

Too many busybodies around for my liking..

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

It does appear that he asked, and not told someone to pick them up?
    If they were beer cans instead of fag butts would it be different?
    Is it possible that man is part of tidy towns or tidy estates committee, or part of the residents association himself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

SQ2 wrote: »
    It does appear that he asked, and not told someone to pick them up?
    If they were beer cans instead of fag butts would it be different?
    Is it possible that man is part of tidy towns or tidy estates committee, or part of the residents association himself?

I think it is quite cheeky to even ask/tell someone what to do on their own property.
    No, beercans, fag ends, dog ****, whatever, it is still their property, no one has the right to tell them to clean it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Karlitto wrote: »
    I think it is quite cheeky to even ask/tell someone what to do on their own property.
    No, beercans, fag ends, dog ****, whatever, it is still their property, no one has the right to tell them to clean it up.

There are limits to neighbours behaving badly, if people want to be dirty and have no regard for their neighbours then they should move to a site away from other houses. I have witnessed dirty neighbours where they pile up refuse in their front and back gardens and the situation has attracted in rats and the smell can be nauseating. The same people have ignored all requests to clean up, even ignored requests from the authorities. I've also witnessed a neighbour who never tidies up their garden and weeds, shrubs and trees grow over the walls into the neighbours gardens on each side. The dirty neighbour is quite capable of cleaning up but doesn't.
    If you live in a community then you shouldn't rock the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

bmc32 wrote: »
    Why dont you call the cops and say theres a pervert bothering the children in the estate.Give his description to the cops and let them sort him.That will stop his snooping.
    So you'd like him to falsely accuse this man of being a paedophile :eek:

Why dont you call the cops and say theres a pervert bothering the children in the estate.Give his description to the cops and let them sort him.That will stop his snooping.

Yes, the OP does seem childish ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

This kind of advice is trollish & unhelpful. Please do not post if you have nothing constructive to add.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Karlitto wrote: »

Actually if litter on your property is visible from a public place then a litter warden or garda is entitled to issue a litter fine of a €150. Not saying this man has the right to tell people to clean up their property, but the owner is (rightly in my opinion) responsible for keeping their property clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Thread moved to a more appropriate forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

i live in an estate where one guy go around reporting people who has no tax on there cars to the police 3 cars have been taken away
    Good.
    he also picks up rubbish in bags
    Also good.
    he reported there was a van with 2 men in it driving around estate turned out to be milkman
    No burglar has ever driven around pretending to be a milkman.
    has sent out leaflets to houses and app to clean up the fronts
    So he's looking for work? Good.
    he gone into my friends rented house and started purning her flowers
    Maybe the landlord asked him to do that.
    he doest work himself so is proud of where he lives
    Good.
    Motor tax is used to pay for stuff like Gardai, hospitals, fire brigade, etc. If people aren't paying it, then someone else has pick up the slack and pay more, or the service gets cuts. People tend to complain about both. Also, if the cars were taken away, then they were abandoned.
    he asked another eildery man to pick up cigs buts from his own front garden
    Yeah, because litter in one person's garden has never been blown by the wind into someone else's, it stays put.
    he scares a lot of people
    Really?
    honest decent people who mind there own buisness
    But who don't pay their tax and litter.
    why do people does stuff like this
    He sounds like a good neighbour. Maybe the question ought to be why aren't there more like him?

My 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Just sounds like he's a bloke who is proud of his area and likes to keep it clean.
    I know it would annoy me if neighbours flicked fag butts around their garden, didn't keep it tidy, let stuff grow wild and
    drove about in untaxed cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If he comes into your garden and starts going at your flowers then report him to the Gardai for vandalism.

If he comes onto your property to check your car tax then report him for tresspassing (although I assume the cars were not parked in driveways as vehicles which are parked on private property are not required to have valid motor tax unless they are being used on a public road).

If he is really going over the top then get a few neighbours together and go sit down and talk to him; explain that what he is doing is not acceptable and that he is causing a nuisance in the neighbourhood. He may well ignore you or try to put up a fight, but surely the first thing to do is to actually communicate with the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

stoneill wrote: »
    Just sounds like he's a bloke who is proud of his area and likes to keep it clean.
    I know it would annoy me if neighbours flicked fag butts around their garden, didn't keep it tidy, let stuff grow wild and
    drove about in untaxed cars.

it would only bother me if it was right next door as it would devalue the market value of my own house if next door was a bomb site.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Joe Public wrote: »
    Yes, the OP does seem childish ok.

This is not helpful.
    If you have something positive to add- please do so- but I'd seriously advise reading our forum charter, if you intend to continue posting in here.

Get lost fool.I'm entitled to my opinion.Its called democracy.Ever hear of it.:P

You may live in a so called Democracy. Boards.ie is not a democracy- its a privately owned website that allows public access to its forums, providing the rules (charters) governing such forums are adhered to.

Any more tomfoolery from you and I will have to take further action. I've already deleted one of your posts here for trolling.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

Hey goat boy,

I am not a troll.How dare you use that term for me.You have some cheek.A person had a problem with a PEST in his estate.I offered a surefire solution to his problem.Sometimes you have to be hard to solve problems.Its a tough world out there.

You're calling someone Goat boy and think you're not trolling?
    Cop-on if you want to continue posting in here- and READ AND OBEY THE FORUM CHARTER........

Seems to be a good kind of neighbour to have. Someone who cares about your area and wont put up with those breaking the law. Kudos to him.

• Advertisement

Seems to be a good kind of neighbour to have. Someone who cares about your area and wont put up with those breaking the law. Kudos to him.

Theres a fine line between good neighbour and busybody, and the latter is quite simply a pest to have around the neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

djimi wrote: »
    Theres a fine line between good neighbour and busybody, and the latter is quite simply a pest to have around the neighbourhood.

true he sounds like a pest most of the things hes doing are outrageous but you know what im delighted hes reporting people for no car tax.

Ive no sympathy with people complaining they have been shopped by a nosy neightbour for having no tax. If somebody is going to steal from the state (thats essentially what they are doing) good on him for ratting them out.

Everything else mind you is overkill :)

In fairness you have absolutely no idea why someone hasnt paid for car tax; I know if it was me and it was a choice between putting food on my kids table or paying motor tax then there would only be one winner. Its absolutely none of his, yours or anyone elses business why someone hasnt paid their car tax, and the guy has an absolute nerve to go around calling the Gardai on his neighbours for it.

As for stealing from the government, well if someone is intent on paying their motor tax then they will pay exactly the same amount whether its on time or in arrears, so its makes absolutely no difference in the long run. If they are not intent on paying then its a different matter, but without knowing the persons circumstances I dont think anyone has a right to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

If this estate is next to a north dublin city hotel, then I know this guy (He's a nutter)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

In fairness you have absolutely no idea why someone hasnt paid for car tax; I know if it was me and it was a choice between putting food on my kids table or paying motor tax then there would only be one winner. Its absolutely none of his, yours or anyone elses business why someone hasnt paid their car tax, and the guy has an absolute nerve to go around calling the Gardai on his neighbours for it.

As for stealing from the government, well if someone is intent on paying their motor tax then they will pay exactly the same amount whether its on time or in arrears, so its makes absolutely no difference in the long run. If they are not intent on paying then its a different matter, but without knowing the persons circumstances I dont think anyone has a right to judge.

Im not saying its his business why they havent paid. It is his business that they havent paid though.

Late payment (that is if they dont scam a letter saying car off the road which many people seem to do) does actually cost money to the exchequer in terms of lost interest.

If you dont want a nosey neighbour ratting you out for not having tax then just pay it.

Like I said the other things are outrageous, but I find it funny somebody can think they have a genuine complaint about the motor tax thing.

Its OT of acccomadation and property though.

D3PO wrote: »
    If you dont want a nosey neighbour ratting you out for not having tax then just pay it.

Yeah Im not sure if youve noticed but a lot of folk out there are finding things very hard financially at the moment. Having to prioritize spending on a limited budget may mean that less vital expenses such as car tax go unpaid for a couple of months while more important bills get paid. Its not right but its a fact of life. Very easy to sit there and criticise if you have the money to pay your car tax on time, but I suspect you would be singing a very different tune if you had to choose between paying your car tax and feeding your family when the renewal letter comes through the door.

This guy may feel like he is performing his civic duty or some such bull****, but in reality he is sticking his nose into peoples affairs where it has no right to be.

Many estates can have abandoned cars parked on the road outside their houses and sometimes not directly outside. We reported a few in our estate and they were traced to people who didn't live locally. It's good to have people looking out for the welfare of the area they live in and to show good example to those who may need gentle reminders.
    Next time you see him around say hello and have a chat.

Reporting abandoned cars is very different to snooping on your neighbours and reporting expired tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sensual Cucumber

Send him round my way, plenty to do here, its manky;)

• Advertisement

Reporting abandoned cars is very different to snooping on your neighbours and reporting expired tax.

I guess that abandoned cars is the more likely scenario.

Advertisement