Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nosy neighbour

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

djimi wrote: »
    I suspect you would be singing a very different tune if you had to choose between paying your car tax and feeding your family
    Happy to pay for petrol, car insurance, NCT and tyres though, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Happy to pay for petrol, car insurance, NCT and tyres though, yes?

Your point being? All of those are essential items, except for maybe NCT, but given a choice between tax and a safety test I think the latter is more important. Although I suspect both would go unpaid if needs be.

Your point being? All of those are essential items, except for maybe NCT, but given a choice between tax and a safety test I think the latter is more important. Although I suspect both would go unpaid if needs be.
    My point is that if you can't feed your children, then you have no business running a car at all.

Oh for the love of god. A car is an essential expense for most people; it is their way of getting to work and actually earning a wage. Unless you would prefer to see people sit at home earning nothing rather then I dont see what you are trying to get at.

Im not saying that it is right that people make a choice between paying car tax or not, but it happens and is a fact of life for a lot of people at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

My point is that if you can't feed your children, then you have no business running a car at all.

Ok, so, someone gets a job working too far away to walk, or out of the way of public transport should not be using a car so they can earn an income to feed their family? Wake up dude...

My old job (was in 2006) I lived in Baldoyle, Worked in Swords, IF I had a car, it would have been no more than a 20 minute drive to work, but I didn't, I had to get public transport. Have you any idea how long it too to get from Baldoyle to Swords when the 102 bus didn't go to the airport? 2.5 hours, and that is no exajuration.

• Advertisement

Oh for the love of god. A car is an essential expense for most people; it is their way of getting to work and actually earning a wage. Unless you would prefer to see people sit at home earning nothing rather then I dont see what you are trying to get at.

Im not saying that it is right that people make a choice between paying car tax or not, but it happens and is a fact of life for a lot of people at the moment.
    It's a lazy and easy fact. If you can't feed your children, stop using your car, maybe even get rid of it. Use a bicycle, a bus, a scooter, arrange a lift. Whatever. Put a wee bit of thought and effort into it. Your commute may be longer and things may be slightly less convenient, but won't someone please think of the children?

By the way, not all people who are dodging motor tax are doing so because they can't feed their children. One I know is an IT Manager in Dublin. Of course, he could be bull****ting. Irish people love to share how they're pulling one over on the government.

Karlitto wrote: »
    My old job (was in 2006) I lived in Baldoyle, Worked in Swords, IF I had a car, it would have been no more than a 20 minute drive to work, but I didn't, I had to get public transport. Have you any idea how long it too to get from Baldoyle to Swords when the 102 bus didn't go to the airport? 2.5 hours, and that is no exajuration.
    Can cycle from Baldoyle to Swords in forty minutes. Maybe less.

You make it sound so easy. Isnt it great that we all live in a country with such ample public transport and options to get around without the use of a car? Hurrah!

Anyway Im not bothered arguing this any further. My point is that quite a lot of people are having to get by on a limited budget, which would be made a lot more limited without the use of a car to get to and from work. I dont think its a lot to ask to understand why something like car tax might not be high on the list of outgoings when there are more important things to pay for that month, but I guess not everyone has to see it that way. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Every street has a nosey neighbour or curtain twitcher it's a hazard everywhere... Go about your life quietly keep clear of him don't let it get under your skin . Maybe one day either you or him will be moving. I know my neighbours can hear the grass grow....... They have a direct line to everyone and everything

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Where's the OP gone? Non car tax compliance? Dumped Cars? Committee member? You can't just light a fire around here and run away!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dangerus06

hi the one car that was taken belonged to a guy who lost his job and didt use the car it was parked on driveway next to road outside his house ,he now taken pictures of people who let there dog sxxt and not pick it up good on him for that but he either very brave or stupid ,:D

If the car was parked in a driveway then it was not taken for not having tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

SQ2 wrote: »
    Where's the OP gone? Non car tax compliance? Dumped Cars? Committee member? You can't just light a fire around here and run away!!

Possibly realises how wrong he/she is?
    dangerus06 wrote: »
    i live in an estate where one guy go around reporting people who has no tax on there cars to the police 3 cars have been taken away ,

The only reasons cars are taken away is if they are abandoned, burnt out, repossession, involved in a crime or such like. If a car is off the road you don't have to tax it and to be 100% sure there is no problem then keep it on private property.

picture house /path/drive car on drive thats the best way to explain where the car was ,its the owner of car who told me this

Im not sure that Im following what you are describing, but if the drive is part of the property of the house then its private property and any vehicle parked on it is not required to be taxed and would not have been towed for having expired tax.

Only if the car was parked outside the property on a public road/place would it be required to have tax.

Im not sure that Im following what you are describing, but if the drive is part of the property of the house then its private property and any vehicle parked on it is not required to be taxed and would not have been towed for having expired tax.

Only if the car was parked outside the property on a public road/place would it be required to have tax.
    hi you have house then public footpath then parking spaces that are belonging to house that help:)

Yes that is correct except it would be very rare for a car to be towed away in an estate for no tax unless it has been abandoned. The Litter Warden would usually initiate a tow away as it would be treated as unwanted rubbish, the tow away bill would be sent to the registered owner. If number plates are missing then the chassis number can be used to track the registered owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

In fairness you have absolutely no idea why someone hasnt paid for car tax; I know if it was me and it was a choice between putting food on my kids table or paying motor tax then there would only be one winner. Its absolutely none of his, yours or anyone elses business why someone hasnt paid their car tax, and the guy has an absolute nerve to go around calling the Gardai on his neighbours for it.

As for stealing from the government, well if someone is intent on paying their motor tax then they will pay exactly the same amount whether its on time or in arrears, so its makes absolutely no difference in the long run. If they are not intent on paying then its a different matter, but without knowing the persons circumstances I dont think anyone has a right to judge.

If your choice is between feeding your kids or paying motor tax you should sell your car.

If your choice is between feeding your kids or paying motor tax you should sell your car.

And get to work how?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

And get to work how?

bike, bus, train, walk, lift from a work collegue, sell the car and buy a cheaper one using the difference to pay for your car tax.

Lots of options. The excuse I needed it for food doesnt fly.

• Advertisement

D3PO wrote: »
    bike, bus, train, walk, lift from a work collegue, sell the car and buy a cheaper one using the difference to pay for your car tax.

Lots of options. The excuse I needed it for food doesnt fly.

And if those options arent available to you? Living outside of a town means no public transport, walking/cycling to work may not be a realistic option, nor would getting a lift if you dont live near anyone you work with. And selling your car to buy a cheaper one is only an option if you are not already driving a small engined banger...

Im not saying that its right not to pay motor tax; I just guess that you have never been in a position where you had to choose between paying your car tax or paying your heating bill, because if you were you would not be so quick to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Don't really care about the no road tax, but it depends on the person. Some I've noticed start off with no tax, and then this is downgraded to no insurance as well. Most will pay the tax when they can.

There's two curtain twitchers on my road (they live together). You can see their silhouettes in the upstairs room looking out the window late in the evening. If you wave at them, they tend to run away from the window :pac: But they don't see vandalism, so IMO they're just annoying f**ks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

dangerus06 wrote: »
    hi you have house then public footpath then parking spaces that are belonging to house that help:)

The road outside of houses is public it is not owned by privates house holders

the_syco wrote: »
    Don't really care about the no road tax, but it depends on the person. Some I've noticed start off with no tax, and then this is downgraded to no insurance as well. Most will pay the tax when they can.

There's two curtain twitchers on my road (they live together). You can see their silhouettes in the upstairs room looking out the window late in the evening. If you wave at them, they tend to run away from the window :pac: But they don't see vandalism, so IMO they're just annoying f**ks.

Whatever about having a dirty house/garden, making noise, being unsocial and things that make bad neighbours you are still entitled to look out your windows whenever you like and as often as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

the_syco wrote: »
    You can see their silhouettes in the upstairs room looking out the window late in the evening.

Pfff! Amateurs! They clearly don't know about the "no backlighting" method...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Nobody knows for sure that the old guy reported anybody unless he has announced it. All they know is he is always out cleaning up their crap off the street.

OP, here's a thought, if everyone on your street kept the little bit outside their home free of litter this old guy would have no reason to be out!

Advertisement