Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flubit (New site for buying online)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

I requested the Nexus 4 8Gb last week on Flubit, and never got a response from them

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Just collected my first order, from the Parcel Motel down the road.
    Saw boots on Dr Martens website at £X.
    Got quote from Flubit of £X-£8.58. Pulled trigger, then worried a bit about getting wrong size and how the hell to return them.
    Dispatched next day. Arrived day after (today). Delivered from Belfast same day.

Turns out sent directly from Dr Martens and the invoice inside is for the full amount, £X. But credit card only charged the smaller amount, as promised, via PayPal.

Really have no idea how they are doing this and making a profit. Sorcery perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Very interesting - the nexus is a particularly good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

nephster wrote: »

Really have no idea how they are doing this and making a profit. Sorcery perhaps?

I assume they're providing the marketing information from the questions they ask to the retailer in exchange for the discount. Retailer gets a load of demographic info about buying intentions for every "demand", and only has to give the discount to the 30% or so who actually buy. In a lot of cases, they'd probably be giving similar discounts anyway through their own loyalty programs, discount vouchers, etc. Presumably Flubit get a tiny percentage for themselves.

Clever idea. Only thing that would worry some people is that the retailer is getting a lot more info on you than they normally would (and even if Flubit aren't passing your info on directly, if you're the only one buying the item at that price it'll be easy to link the two). On the other hand, there's nothing forcing you to answer the questions honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

garion wrote: »
    Saved 16% on colour ink for my HP All-In-One printer. Decided to give them a try to see. I'll probably be using it as a last step in hunting for a cheaper price. Find the rock bottom price for something on Amazon or wherever, and then see if Flubit can beat it by 10% or more .

I would also be interested to hear about their returns process though. Amazon's is so hassle free you'd probably pay the extra for it.

Just a quick update on my purchase. Picked up my package from ParcelMotel today and invoice inside is from Viking to Bertie Stephens at Fireworks Merchant Limited (Flubit's supplier). All in all happy with my purchase although would probably still choose Amazon if there was less than 10% in the difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is 18% the average discount people are getting? Tried it out on two different value items. Offers came back at ~18% off the nominated price.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ChriisM

snubbleste wrote: »
    Is 18% the average discount people are getting? Tried it out on two different value items. Offers came back at ~18% off the nominated price.

It depends on what you want a quote for, i got one of 16% and one of 8% but the 8% actually took 25Pound of the original so was prity pleased.(amazed)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Anybody else get a similar message -
    You're from our favourite country of them all, Malta!

We love where you're from, the people, the ground, the sky, the buidings. The weather where you're from is just how we like it too! We love the fact that you're currently here. Where you're from is amazing!

However we are traditionalists, which means we want to leave the best until last. Therefore we are not going to be creating better offers on the products you want until we have gone to a few more not so great places.

If however you are just visiting where you're from or on holiday (you have great taste by the way) you can still enter the website and use us. Just remember, we can't deliver any products to where you are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I presume everyone did - they seem to be UK only for now (or Parcel Motel).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Edit: Never mind, just seen location is Malta.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Awesome idea tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

been thinking about how they can possibly offer these discounts! does anyone reckon that maybe what they are doing is claiming the vat back from everything they purchase, and in turn offering some of the discount to the end customer?

sounds like it would probably be illegal, but maybe there is some sort of loophole? or maybe i'm wrong altogether! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Yeah, you have to order to parcel motel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I put in two bags from amazon £28.50 and £22.50, they gave back a saving of £3.50 on each which is pretty damn good! (have to pay parcel motel with them on amazon anyway).

• Advertisement

I put in two bags from amazon £28.50 and £22.50, they gave back a saving of £3.50 on each which is pretty damn good! (have to pay parcel motel with them on amazon anyway).
    Sure Amazon ship for free to Ireland if over £25. So are you saving money?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

The bags are probably too bulky to be covered by Amazon's shipping.
    I know they won't ship any electrical items over 1KG here, so it must be a similar case.

The shipping on these bags was over 30 pound! It's good for things that aren't free shipping. I put in a sleeping bag now that I want, 16 percent off. Cool site

Just went ahead and got this for £19.29 + E3.50 parcel motel :) On amazon £35.99 + £5.00UK delivery + E3.50 parcel motel! It went right back up in price after my flubit request, phew (was down to 23£).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Litre-Camping-Back-Pack/dp/B001AS4066/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363812194&sr=8-1

Flubit ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

I used it today out of curiosity for a Samsung Galaxy S3, They came back with an offer 5% lower than amazons lowest price which aint too bad. Worked out as 401 euro in total which included shipping.

These phones in the shops here are still retailing at 570 euro so cant go wrong.

Would need to use parcel Motel though as they don't deliver to the Emerald Isle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Have people been able to use this service from an Irish IP address once the product is shipped to a UK address?

wayhey wrote: »
    Have people been able to use this service from an Irish IP address once the product is shipped to a UK address?
    Yes, you can use the site anywhere and buy from anywhere. But the product must be shipped to a UK address.

wayhey wrote: »

Yep, works fine, just put in parcel motel address and shop away :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Only if the item is 'fulfilled by Amazon'. EG, either an Amazon stocked and shipped item or an item held on behalf of a seller in the Amazon warehouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Has anyone had an issue with signing up to the site?

I get as far as entering my email, password (twice), and click on the t&c box, but there's nothing to click on that allows me to sign up, or get to the next page :confused:

I had a problem using their site in chrome for some things, and went over to FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

16 GB Nexus 4 on its way to me with 11% off the Google price. I welcome the % off but its the fact they take paypal that lets me get the phone in the first place without jumping through hoops!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Was reading today in another forum, some people give a link to an Amazon items, they got a better offer of 12% cheaper, they order and when they got the item it came from Amazon with Amazon gift receipt in an Amazon box.

Haha that's great.

Ok I used flubit a few more times and am making two more orders. They seem to make a mistake sometimes, say shipping is £5 to the uk, they mark it as 0£ and then give you money off as well. So I was getting about 9£ off an 18£ amazon item...

Also happened again and I put in the same item twice, they marked down the price as lower than it was in the link I sent them, by a few £ and then gave me a discount on the already lower price. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Hmm, wonder what would happen if you gave them a link to an amazon gift voucher......

• Advertisement

nava wrote: »
    Was reading today in another forum, some people give a link to an Amazon items, they got a better offer of 12% cheaper, they order and when they got the item it came from Amazon with Amazon gift receipt in an Amazon box.

I'm seriously confused as to how they're making any money...
    Do they sneak into the Amazon warehouses and steal whatever demand you've created? Only logical explanation.

balfe1990 wrote: »
    I'm seriously confused as to how they're making any money...
    Do they sneak into the Amazon warehouses and steal whatever demand you've created? Only logical explanation.

Bulk buying power, different VAT rates, Feck knows, but if they can save me money I'll be using them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

Anyone bought a Nexus 4 through them? Put in a demand and they only give you 4% off but you don't have to jump through loops to get it to Ireland, just send it to your Parcel Motel:

What you would have paid at google.com :
    £239.00+ £9.99 = £248.99
    The best offer our team created for you:
    £230.04+ £9.99 = £240.03

Now to see how long it takes to ship it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

So this is essentially a roundabout way of getting 5-10% off whatever you fancy?

Deal me in! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Bulk buying power, different VAT rates, Feck knows, but if they can save me money I'll be using them.

I'd be OK with that, I'd be worried that they are data gathering and selling on users information to make up the difference in the price though? I haven't used them or signed up though so not even sure if you have to give them any useful information?

draffodx wrote: »

I'd be OK with that, I'd be worried that they are data gathering and selling on users information to make up the difference in the price though? I haven't used them or signed up though so not even sure if you have to give them any useful information?

They do have a section to collect data about you, but it's optional. But what you say makes sense, when you buy something it asks who it's for, age group, and a few other things.

Must check their privacy policy.

They do have a section to collect data about you, but it's optional. But what you say makes sense, when you buy something it asks who it's for, age group, and a few other things.

Must check their privacy policy.

Be interesting to see if the prices they come back with are better if you opt into the data collection? :)

TBH, if they give me 10-15% off an already rock-bottom price, I'll share my most intimate secrets with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Males in certain age groups like to buy gadgets!!

• Advertisement

TBH, if they give me 10-15% off an already rock-bottom price, I'll share my most intimate secrets with them.

I've only got max 8% on anything I've checked so far, but I'd be pretty handy at getting bargains :-)

I've told them nothing about me so far, if I update it and If I see the savings go up to 18% like some people have reported I'd be well impressed.

Not really, you stick in age, what the item is for and that's it, they can happily sell it on.
    I've only got max 8% on anything I've checked so far, but I'd be pretty handy at getting bargains :-)

I've told them nothing about me so far, if I update it and If I see the savings go up to 18% like some people have reported I'd be well impressed.

If you do the same item multiple times you get different results so it may be down to the person etc. I doubt it marks individuals like that!

Not really, you stick in age, what the item is for and that's it, they can happily sell it on.

C&P from the "My Puzzle" section:

PLEASE NOTE:

This information is for our own use only, and will not be disclosed to any third parties.

The more we know about you, the better the offers we will be able to create for you.

If you would like to know more about how this data is stored and handled, please read our Privacy Policy here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Has anybody tried putting in an item with an expensive price? ie. Something for €30 that is easily available for €20 elsewhere.

Interesting to see if it would be 8-18% off the €30 or would it be sub €20.

C&P from the "My Puzzle" section:

PLEASE NOTE:

This information is for our own use only, and will not be disclosed to any third parties.

The more we know about you, the better the offers we will be able to create for you.

If you would like to know more about how this data is stored and handled, please read our Privacy Policy here.

So it looks like they are working off data mining to make up the costs, they create enough users with enough data and then get bought out for the data and user base? It would make sense and would explain how they are offering it at below cost. As long as their data protection and privacy policy are up to scratch I doubt there'd be much to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

below cost.

Where did you get that bit from ?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

So it looks like they are working off data mining to make up the costs, they create enough users with enough data and then get bought out for the data and user base?
    I don't know. I think you could be reading too much into that line. But it's a possibility definitely.

Pj! wrote: »
    Has anybody tried putting in an item with an expensive price? ie. Something for €30 that is easily available for €20 elsewhere.

Interesting to see if it would be 8-18% off the €30 or would it be sub €20.
    It would always be the same precentage. They wouldn't go down to sub20, unless you pick the option to get another offer based on the cheaper place you found.

So it looks like they are working off data mining to make up the costs, they create enough users with enough data and then get bought out for the data and user base? It would make sense and would explain how they are offering it at below cost. As long as their data protection and privacy policy are up to scratch I doubt there'd be much to worry about.

I think you are reading way too much into that line. I think it means, "we are getting thousands of males 24-29 looking for x electronic item, we will focus more on getting a good price off on that item, by working with our suppliers"

eamonnq wrote: »
    Where did you get that bit from ?:confused:

Nexus 4 is sold via Google for cost price and they make the money back via content so if Flubit are selling it cheaper its below cost. I'd be very surprised if Flubit had a bulk order agreement with Google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just be careful if they do a sale of data. Since you've given them a Parcelmotel delivery address they'll send spam to it which will cost you a fortune and would be incredibly difficult to stop.

Pj! wrote: »
    I don't know. I think you could be reading too much into that line. But it's a possibility definitely.
    I think you are reading way too much into that line. I think it means, "we are getting thousands of males 24-29 looking for x electronic item, we will focus more on getting a good price off on that item, by working with our suppliers"

Possibly but I do like knowing how things like this work! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement