Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flubit (New site for buying online)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

draffodx wrote: »
    Nexus 4 is sold via Google for cost price and they make the money back via content so if Flubit are selling it cheaper its below cost. I'd be very surprised if Flubit had a bulk order agreement with Google.

Maybe flubit get the handset delivered free, bypassing the 10£ delivery and pass most of it onto the customer. Or some deal with google who knows. Google probably dont mind another few £ off the phone, that not how they are making their money. I want to know! :D

"With Flubit, users say what they want to buy, Flubit groups these users together by product type, and the relevant retailers are automatically informed. This allows retailers to sell in volume (at a discount) to targeted, online consumers. Flubit takes from 2.5%-6% in commission."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Maybe flubit get the handset delivered free, bypassing the 10£ delivery and pass most of it onto the customer. Or some deal with google who knows. Google probably dont mind another few £ off the phone, that not how they are making their money. I want to know! :D

"With Flubit, users say what they want to buy, Flubit groups these users together by product type, and the relevant retailers are automatically informed. This allows retailers to sell in volume (at a discount) to targeted, online consumers. Flubit takes from 2.5%-6% in commission."

Could be getting them direct from LG I suppose either I suppose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

LG were trying to sell the phone for like 500£ rrp before heh. Be curious to know. Anybody work for flubit? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Its a deadly concept credit to them. Hope they can make it work.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

If you do the same item multiple times you get different results so it may be down to the person etc. I doubt it marks individuals like that!

I haven't seen this, I've tried the same item a few times and the discount was the same each time.

Got a few pound more off a couple times now! See here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83770495&postcount=80
    And they sometimes forget that amazon were charging 5£ shipping etc and give that off as well. Good times! I've bought three things so far, saved about 20 euro from amazon, where they were already on sale.

Does this work with clothes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Does this work with clothes?

Yes, any product page AFAIK

Any uk online site selling anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I met the flubit guys about a year ago. I was very impressed by their business model. When you enter in the webpage of what you wish to buy, they record the price of the item off the webpage and the product. They then scan the product through their database of merchants to find the best price available. Chances are (they claimed over 90%) they will find a merchant that has the product for cheaper. If they dont, they will just tell you that they cant beat the price. So lets say they find your product for 20 euro cheaper. They will then tell you that they found it for a tenner cheaper, pocket the second tenner, and get the merchant to send you the item. So you, the customer, is happy with your tenner saving, Flubit are happy with their tenner made, and the merchant is happy for selling the product.

They were some of the funniest guys I had chatted to in a good while and I hope them the very best with their business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Any uk online site selling anything

Except:

Adult category products
    Alcohol / Food Products
    Animals and wildlife products
    Famous Art
    Artifacts, grave related products
    Catalytic converters and test pipes
    Lottery tickets
    Multi-level marketing programs
    Political memorabilia
    Services
    Stolen property
    Magazines and newspapers
    Mobile Phone service contracts
    Counterfeit currency and stamps
    Money or Credit Cards
    Illegal Drugs
    Drugs and paraphernalia
    Radar scanner / Surveliance
    Coupons/ Vouchers
    Pesticides
    Prescription drugs
    Slot machine
    Tobacco
    Embargoed goods
    Event tickets
    Firearms & Weapons
    Illegal activity items
    Medical Device
    IDs, licenses
    Transit and shipping
    Hazardous materials
    Humans remains / parts
    Lockpicking devices
    Military/ Police items
    Stocks and Bonds
    Weeds & Some Plants
    Used Clothing
    Contracts
    Used cosmetics

S'ok my Humans remains supplier is already selling at cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭Esel

S'ok my Humans remains supplier is already selling at cost.
    Shipping is where they make a real killing.

Not your ornery onager

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I picked an obscure product that only one supplier sells. They still managed to get 4% off, about £25.

Im a bit baffled how they can make any money from it, unless they contacted the supplier and offered them 10 % less than rrp, the supplier agreed and they keep the other 5%

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I picked an obscure product that only one supplier sells. They still managed to get 4% off, about £25.

Im a bit baffled how they can make any money from it, unless they contacted the supplier and offered them 10 % less than rrp, the supplier agreed and they keep the other 5%

It's possible. I've worked for a lot of big retailers. Upper management know it happens and often consider it in pricing. 10% used to be pretty standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Has anybody actually received their item from flubit yet?

One of mine has been dispatched, so we will see soon.
    EDIT: they've already delivered to thousands of other people etc, are worth millions, so it's fine.
    Also it's done via paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

Have to say, despite looking nice and fancy, their website just does not function.
    Trying to order an offer they created for me and it just keeps crashing or timing out. And the PayPal integration is awful.

Quick question; I have the Parcel Motel address added to my PayPal address book, but it doesn't look like you can change the "Country" part of it. Do you reckon it's okay that I added Northen Ireland to clarify it's not in the Republic?

The bottom half of the addy reads like so:

Newtownabbey
    Co Antrim, Northen Ireland
    BT36 4PE
    Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I met the flubit guys about a year ago. I was very impressed by their business model. When you enter in the webpage of what you wish to buy, they record the price of the item off the webpage and the product. They then scan the product through their database of merchants to find the best price available. Chances are (they claimed over 90%) they will find a merchant that has the product for cheaper. If they dont, they will just tell you that they cant beat the price. So lets say they find your product for 20 euro cheaper. They will then tell you that they found it for a tenner cheaper, pocket the second tenner, and get the merchant to send you the item. So you, the customer, is happy with your tenner saving, Flubit are happy with their tenner made, and the merchant is happy for selling the product.

They were some of the funniest guys I had chatted to in a good while and I hope them the very best with their business.

So there is an opening for some entrepreneur to undercut them? :rolleyes:
    I'm curious as to how they built their database of suppliers, hardly a trial and error effort.

• Advertisement

It all works perfectly for me on FF, paypal won't pop up in chrome.
    No problem with your address.

FF worked perfectly, just bought my sexy new phone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

bmaxi wrote: »
    So there is an opening for some entrepreneur to undercut them? :rolleyes:
    I'm curious as to how they built their database of suppliers, hardly a trial and error effort.

Like any business, if you reckon you can do it for cheaper than a competitor you could be successful.

Setting up a database of suppliers is easier than you would think, as there is a small number of UK importers with very large lists of diverse products that you can select from.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Just ordered me some Oxford Hot Grips - Premium Touring *NEW 2012 VERSION*
    PRICE:67.02, best anywhere else was 75.99 and I had searched all over the place.

Nice Site!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Got 13% off the price of a Roku Box, down to £43 from £49. Every little helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

balfe1990 wrote: »
    FF worked perfectly, just bought my sexy new phone :D
    what phone did you get

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Didn't work for me

I asked for a qoute on this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0089C9H4G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got an email from Flubit this morning

We do not deal with pay as you go phones
    We’re really sorry but this product falls into our prohibited items category, which means we won’t be able to create you an offer for you on this occasion.

Some prohibited items are restricted by licensing, law or age requirements. Other items we can’t sell include mobile contracts, fresh food, event tickets, downloadable material and valuable art.

Didn't realize that PAYG phone was a prohibited item .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Jarren wrote: »
    Didn't work for me

I asked for a qoute on this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0089C9H4G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got an email from Flubit this morning

We do not deal with pay as you go phones
    We’re really sorry but this product falls into our prohibited items category, which means we won’t be able to create you an offer for you on this occasion.

Some prohibited items are restricted by licensing, law or age requirements. Other items we can’t sell include mobile contracts, fresh food, event tickets, downloadable material and valuable art.

Didn't realize that PAYG phone was a prohibited item .

Get a free SIM off 3 and bring it in to Vodafone. You'd get €20 off this price.

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go/phone-details/huawei-ascend-g300

Tried Flubit for a PS3 slim having spent a fair bit of time looking around. They beat the price by £9.

Seems like a great idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Noticed this about how they keep afloat
    Describe your business model and how you make money:
    We are a demand-driven marketplace: customers tell us the product they want and the website with the best price they could find. We create a better offer for them on that exact product.
    The offers are fulfilled by our integrated merchants, and we make money by taking a micro-commission on every sale. http://www.startups.co.uk/flubit-bertie-stephens.html

Just got me the new Bioshock game (on Xbox) for €36. I love this site already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Got a 58 pence reduction (16%) on the Monoprice Enhanced Bass Hi-Fi Noise Isolating Earphones compared to the Amazon price.

However, I'm getting a "Unfortunately, due to stock issues from our supplier we are no longer able to fulfill this offer." message which crashes the site.

• Advertisement

what phone did you get
    HTC 8X. Probably the best looking phone I've ever seen, next to the 8S. I'm taking a bit of a risk with Windows Phone 8 but I'm sick to death of Android and iOS. Just fancied a change.

Also, anyone who's received their product(s) from Flubit, did you get a dispatch email from them or the supplier? They've been totally mute since I ordered.

maximoose wrote: »
    Just got me the new Bioshock game (on Xbox) for €36. I love this site already.
    How much off the initial price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭Esel

polaris68 wrote: »
    Got a 58 pence reduction (16%) on the Monoprice Enhanced Bass Hi-Fi Noise Isolating Earphones compared to the Amazon price.

However, I'm getting a "Unfortunately, due to stock issues from our supplier we are no longer able to fulfill this offer." message which crashes the site.
    When you see a very low-priced bargain, why bother waiting for a reply from Flubit (to save 58p..) and risk the item being sold out?

Not your ornery onager

How much off the initial price?

16%. Off a release day AAA game, beezer :)

16%. Off a release day AAA game, beezer :)

Goddamn. Must...resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Also, anyone who's received their product(s) from Flubit, did you get a dispatch email from them or the supplier? They've been totally mute since I ordered.
    Yes, from Flubit themselves. Although one was sent after I'd actually received it, but that's really due to how damn quick it arrived :)

nephster wrote: »
    Yes, from Flubit themselves. Although one was sent after I'd actually received it, but that's really due to how damn quick it arrived :)

Yeah, still nothing from them and their poxy website is so broken, I can't sign in to check the status of the order there.

Tried a link for a football jersey just now, and was quite amused that the normal

"Success, that looks like a real product!"

banner that comes up was replaced by:

"Success, looking like a pro is the first step to becoming a pro!"

:pac:

Esel wrote: »
    When you see a very low-priced bargain, why bother waiting for a reply from Flubit (to save 58p..) and risk the item being sold out?
    I put something up, got sold out on amazon, they still came back with a better offer and I got the product.
    Tried a link for a football jersey just now, and was quite amused that the normal

Haha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Wonder would that happen if a female created a demand for a short skirt and hooer boots ??:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'm well impressed.

I've been waiting for WD Red hard drives to come down to < €100 for a 2TB. Just got one for €91 - 12% saving against Amazon (who were the cheapest I could find). Works out even cheaper than the crappy slow WD Green series.

I should have bought 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

That gives me an idea.... *starts to put demand together*

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Yeah, still nothing from them and their poxy website is so broken, I can't sign in to check the status of the order there.

Maybe clear your browser cache and temp internet files. No-one else having an issue with the site so must be something on your side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I had problems with it earlier and the error message was generated by flubit

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Maybe clear your browser cache and temp internet files. No-one else having an issue with the site so must be something on your side.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

BuzzFish wrote: »

I just switched to FF again and it worked grand. But it still says my order is being processed.

Anyone know how long it takes to receive your product from payment? It probably varies from retailer to retailer but my demand was created from an Amazon listing, and they're usually very quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

I just wt all the way through to Paypal and the price quoted, with free delivery, was the price shown on Paypal. Didn't go any further though.

So is the price shown on Flubit, including maybe free delivery, the price paid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Soarer wrote: »
    I just wt all the way through to Paypal and the price quoted, with free delivery, was the price shown on Paypal. Didn't go any further though.

So is the price shown on Flubit, including maybe free delivery, the price paid?

in the quote you should see the product price, delivery price (if any) and the total price. Some quotes do include delivery price, but you see it clearly on the quote.

I just switched to FF again and it worked grand. But it still says my order is being processed.

Anyone know how long it takes to receive your product from payment? It probably varies from retailer to retailer but my demand was created from an Amazon listing, and they're usually very quick.

It doesn't have to come from amazon. Mine didn't. It will email you when it is dispatched. No need to check. I got one of my 3 orders from them so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

It doesn't have to come from amazon. Mine didn't. It will email you when it is dispatched. No need to check. I got one of my 3 orders from them so far.

Have you just been using your Irish address or parcel motel? or do you live in UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I just had a Dispatch notification after ordering yesterday.

I'm using Parcel Motel.

Advertisement