Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flubit (New site for buying online)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Basq wrote: »
    No.. it was through Play.com but surely the same logic applies.
    Depending on who you get sorting your post, it'll be either accepted (and forwarded to you) or rejected (sent back / discarded).
    Simple as this - two items ordered from same company using that track - one arrived, one didn't.
    It won't work with Flubit. Because you are buying through them, they'll ensure you have a UK postal address. They've even updated their website to remind ROI residents to use ParcelMotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I sent them a link to amazon for headphones and they rejected it saying it was a spurious supplier.

the mind boggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I sent them a link to amazon for headphones and they rejected it saying it was a spurious supplier.

the mind boggles

When I sent them a link to third party supplier they ignored it and gave me a deal on the Amazon price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

When I sent them a link to third party supplier they ignored it and gave me a deal on the Amazon price.

Its now out of stock..:mad: It was a BA on headphones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Esel wrote: »
    When you see a very low-priced bargain, why bother waiting for a reply from Flubit (to save 58p..) and risk the item being sold out?

People should bear this in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

I just used flubit for the first time and I'm very impressed. I tried on a pair of hunter adjustable wellies in the north at the weekend. They were £90. Found them online for £75 and flubit came back with £66. So I started looking at the hunter fleece socks for my new wellies, which are £17 in store. Found them for £11 online and flubit came back with a price of £8. So if I'd bought the wellies and socks in store it would have been £107, instead I paid £74, £33 in my pocket thank you very much!!! Plus I have never used parcel motel so I have my 2 free stays :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Well flubit really only saved you £12, if you go by the online prices, but still;-)
    Also wonder if you could have added the socks as accessories and got them shipped together, would have saved a stay. Know it doesn't matter for you but maybe other boardies...

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

CombatCow wrote: »
    So essentially, for now, it's the exact same thing except the URL has a different top-level domain?

I also think it's very cool that Flubit has embraced the fact that the Irish are using them too. They even recommend that Irish customers use Parcel Motel on their website. Could be the start of a beautiful relationship between the two....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's more of a Flubit-ParcelMotel love-in

Just ordered my first item through flubit, saved only £6.36 (on a £120 item) but good savings compared to what I would have pay for it in ROI (even online). Luckily my PayPal account already has the PM address setup 'cause although flubit said I could change it before checkout it didn't actually give me the option (PayPal address was automatically used). I was expecting some final check-out page? All well for me, just to give you the heads-up, or did I miss something?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

flyguy wrote: »
    Just ordered my first item through flubit, saved only £6.36 (on a £120 item) but good savings compared to what I would have pay for it in ROI (even online). Luckily my PayPal account already has the PM address setup 'cause although flubit said I could change it before checkout it didn't actually give me the option (PayPal address was automatically used). I was expecting some final check-out page? All well for me, just to give you the heads-up, or did I miss something?

I was able to select one of my two addys at the PP checkout screen.

It gave me that option too, but I have quite a few on my PayPal account and never really check 'cause usually after the PP payment it gives you the option to change it (like on eBay, dx and others). Flubit just take the address and after PP pop-up the order is complete. Nothing wrong with that, just not what I was expecting/used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ecomac

flyguy wrote: »
    Just ordered my first item through flubit, saved only £6.36 (on a £120 item)

Really lads, I don't get it - 6 pounds of 120 pound price? I agree you can save SOME money in SOME cases, but not in every case. I tried myself to quote NSA320 with flubit and got 8% savings below Amazon's price. Not too bad, isn't it? Well, let's see. Roughly 60 pounds minus 8% gives less than 5 pounds, equals 6 euros. I'd have to pay 3.50 for Parcell motel, I'd have to drive to get it from the locker (probably another fiver or more plus the lost time) and in case of any problems, the return wouldn't be as easy as pie, like in Amazon's case. So the bottom line is - in this particular case I'd have to pay MORE and pray that this equipment wouldn't fail. Personally I'd rather spent another fiver or even tenner more and get it from Amazon directly to my door. But this is only my opinion. I'm only a poor man and I can't affort buying from flubit in every case ;) And I know I'll be eaten alive for what I just said. Cheers.

Can't say I disagree. I'm surprised as well with the small discount and still go through the trouble, but wanted to try for future reference and not in a hurry for it. Also wouldn't be surprised if the product arrives from amazon. Have put in a few request with flubit and never got an amazing offer...
    One good thing is that often you can actually save more as flubit just looks at UK shipping price (which is often free) but some sites only deliver free to UK mainland and charge for NI, so you can add that to your savings...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I have received some good offers and some not so good ones.
    The ones I took advantage were 11% on a €200 item which I would have had to buy through parcel motel anyway.
    And 18% on a €100 item which again I would have to used PM for a reasonable shipping cost.

So while some people cannot see the value yet, (and to be fair on some products the discount may simply not be available), if you are not in a huge rush for an item it's no harm to stick up a demand for it.
    You may not save much on everything, you may save a decent bit on some items, but you definitely will not loose any money by trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

While I agree that in some cases the savings it's not really worth jumping up and down about but for me at least the reason why I would use them is they take paypal meaning I don't have to give my CC card number to yet another store that could be hacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

Very impressed with their service, purchased a Sunspel Polo. Between shipping from the Sunspel website (€12!!) and a discount off the polo itself (€11) made a nice saving.

Ordered last Friday and was in my Parcel Motel yesterday morning (Thurs) so they come highly recommended from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

found a good deal on hotdealsuk for a xbox controller and wirless pc adapter for 26.99 and flubit came to 22.61 so happy with my first purchase. Both prices ex delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

ecomac wrote: »
    Really lads, I don't get it - 6 pounds of 120 pound price? I agree you can save SOME money in SOME cases, but not in every case. I tried myself to quote NSA320 with flubit and got 8% savings below Amazon's price. Not too bad, isn't it? Well, let's see. Roughly 60 pounds minus 8% gives less than 5 pounds, equals 6 euros. I'd have to pay 3.50 for Parcell motel, I'd have to drive to get it from the locker (probably another fiver or more plus the lost time) and in case of any problems, the return wouldn't be as easy as pie, like in Amazon's case. So the bottom line is - in this particular case I'd have to pay MORE and pray that this equipment wouldn't fail. Personally I'd rather spent another fiver or even tenner more and get it from Amazon directly to my door. But this is only my opinion. I'm only a poor man and I can't affort buying from flubit in every case ;) And I know I'll be eaten alive for what I just said. Cheers.

I don't think you'll get eaten alive - its a fair point. In my case my local ParcelMotel is a 3 minute walk from my house so no petrol costs incurred.

I see it as a no-brainer though to use this service when you are already having to use ParcelMotel due to extortinate costs to post to Ireland or other online UK sites that simply won't ship here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

donnacha wrote: »
    I see it as a no-brainer though to use this service when you are already having to use ParcelMotel due to extortinate costs to post to Ireland or other online UK sites that simply won't ship here.
    Also the saving you make will probably cancel out the €3.50 PM stay (for those who still haven't got their free stays - 1 left here)...

.. every little helps!

Haven't used the service yet - I actually tried to quote for a pair of Converse which went out of stock before they got back to me with a quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

It would be nice of they added the PM price into the calculations as the savings aren't worth it if you're only saving a fiver off an Amazon price.

I just got a 4% discount on a telly from Amazon. Not worth when there super saver delivery on the telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Not everthing is going to be worth it, with super saver from Amazon ect. but for the ones that are they will add up, bit by bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

Also the saving you make will probably cancel out the €3.50 PM stay (for those who still haven't got their free stays - 1 left here)...

How the heck do you still have a free stay left? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

stimpson wrote: »
    It would be nice of they added the PM price into the calculations as the savings aren't worth it if you're only saving a fiver off an Amazon price.

I just got a 4% discount on a telly from Amazon. Not worth when there super saver delivery on the telly.

I agree. Amazon are great to deal with when something goes wrong. So you would need a big enough discount over what amazon offer to go with Flubit.

donnacha wrote: »
    How the heck do you still have a free stay left? :cool:
    Haven't had a whole lot of chances to use it..

.. tend to buy on Amazon a lot and more often than not avail of Free Super Saver Delivery.

The two stays I used were both Marketplace Sellers charging £15 and up to deliver here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

One more potential downside of ordering from this crowd. I got a slightly lower price for a set of earphones, but the PM cost on top was wiping that out. So I ordered three of them (£9.85 as opposed to £12-ish on Amazon, free UK shipping), figuring that at least I'd be spreading the €3.50 PM charge across three pairs... and testing flubit on a reasonably low-value purchase in case things went wrong. One order, one payment from my credit card.

Took over a fortnight for my parcel to be dispatched (drop-shipped from the US), then a couple more days via ParcelMotel. Collected the package yesterday and they'd sent one fecking pair instead of the three ordered and charged for. Immediately contacted Flubit who assured me they'd sort out the missing pairs and it wouldn't cost me any extra. But I suspect the feckers will simply tell their supplier in the US to post two more pairs - possibly separately - to my PMID address. Even though I've asked them not to, and pointed out that it would cost them no more to post directly to Ireland. If they do send two more jiffy bags to my ParcelMotel address I'll end up paying €10.50 delivery charges for what should have been one small package costing €3.50.

Not a happy bunny. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Just placed my first order. I had been watching a PC case on Amazon and submitted a request to Flubit yesterday. Amazon put up the price this morning so went ahead with the Flubit offer which was slightly lower than the original Amazon price.

Just a bit worried now about the delivery time. Its showing as delivery between 18 April and 02 May :eek:. Hopefully closer to the 18th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

my other concern is that lots of companies start to have your PM address and suddenly you could get 1-2 junk things arriving which cost you money.

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    my other concern is that lots of companies start to have your PM address and suddenly you could get 1-2 junk things arriving which cost you money.

Now that is worrying now that you mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Yeah that certainly is a possibility.
    Just one piece of junk mail would wipe out any savings on most purchases.

Pj! wrote: »
    Yeah that certainly is a possibility.
    Just one piece of junk mail would wipe out any savings on most purchases.

I never received a single item of junk mail as a result of online shopping.

I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

I have. Next send me out a catalogue every few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

same here, m&mdirect, dell, misco, the list goes on and on. Thankfully they all were direct postage but I would be very hesitant about using parcel motel unless I knew exactly where the package came from

ive got junk mail too from a couple of online retailers.
    Surely parcel motel filter this anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

MMAGirl wrote: »
    ive got junk mail too from a couple of online retailers.
    Surely parcel motel filter this anyway.

Parcel motel don't filter.

Jilm wrote: »
    Yep, €3.50 for each piece of junk mail you get.

Quick tip: keep your PM account at €0 so stuff like that will be rejected, but top up when obviously remember to top up when you send something to it.

Jilm wrote: »

They'll have to filter, or when they start getting junk mail for people and charging them for it they wont be long going out of business.

• Advertisement

They'll have to filter, or when they start getting junk mail for people and charging them for it they wont be long going out of business.
    They start filtering and they'll end up chucking / rejecting valuable post, and potentially have a lawsuit on their hands.

What they do is correct to be honest.. whether you like it or not.

They even recommend you contact any company you buy from and ensure you unsubscribe from their mailing list / newsletters.

Quick tip: keep your PM account at €0 so stuff like that will be rejected, but top up when obviously remember to top up when you send something to it.

Which would be easy if they let you top up by €3.50.

They start filtering and they'll end up chucking / rejecting valuable post, and potentially have a lawsuit on their hands.

What they do is correct to be honest.. whether you like it or not.

They even recommend you contact any company you buy from and ensure you unsubscribe from their mailing list / newsletters.

They'll have to get it right then wont they. Its the only way they can protect their business if junk mail starts arriving.

If they charge someone €3.50 even once for a junk catalogue arriving in parcel motel, that will be the last they ever see of that customer. And anyone that customer has influence over too. Those people wont settle for, "its not our fault but we are charging you 3.50". They will never be back.

Pj! wrote: »
    Which would be easy if they let you top up by €3.50.
    Ah, wasn't aware of that.. did they always have the minimum charge?
    If they charge someone €3.50 even once for a junk catalogue arriving in parcel motel, that will be the last they ever see of that customer.
    They may fuss and fume about it... but when they get another €28 shipping charge to Ireland, they won't be long coming back.

As I said.. it's the right way to do it. I wouldn't be happen to receive junk and be charged €3.50, but if I do.. I'll grit by teeth and send that retailer an e-mail requesting no more junk mail. Or better yet.. if it's a retailer I don't know well enough who may send unsolicited mail, I'll pre-empt and request being taken off their mailing list.

Making mountains out of molehills IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

They are aware of Parcel Motel for shipping to Ireland. It came up during the order process that it was for the UK etc and people from southern Ireland should use Parcel Motel.

Anyway just thought I would sing their praises as I made a mistake on the case I ordered and inquired about cancelling it. Sent them a message about two hours ago and money has been refunded already to my paypal account. Bear in mind that it is now after 10 pm on a Saturday night.

Hats off to them.

Ah, wasn't aware of that.. did they always have the minimum charge?

They may fuss and fume about it... but when they get another €28 shipping charge to Ireland, they won't be long coming back.

As I said.. it's the right way to do it. I wouldn't be happen to receive junk and be charged €3.50, but if I do.. I'll grit by teeth and send that retailer an e-mail requesting no more junk mail. Or better yet.. if it's a retailer I don't know well enough who may send unsolicited mail, I'll pre-empt and request being taken off their mailing list.

Making mountains out of molehills IMO.

Doesnt work like that. People will like random charges that they never asked for even less than they will like a high shipping charge that they know about.
    Its up to parcel motel how they want to handle it if it happens. You know what they say about customers having one bad experience and all.

Some retailers sell your details to third party companies, even when they say they dont. There is good money paid for it.
    Anyway, sorry for going ot, the thread is about flubit, not PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

@Basq would there be a need for a thread that we could list what companies send junk mail?

So at least then you can make sure you have contacted those companies to take you off their mailing lists.

Proco Jr. wrote: »
    @Basq would there be a need for a thread that we could list what companies send junk mail?

So at least then you can make sure you have contacted those companies to take you off their mailing lists.
    Possibly..

.. it's not a bad idea. Not for BA, but possibly for OB&A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Didn't realise that many companies were sending out catalogues and sh!te....

Advertisement