Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The right to Vote for Uachtarán na héireann?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 noooodles

The right to vote should be available to all citizens. End of.
    We are a republic. Nobody is "more entilted" to vote than another.

Its a modern scandal how the young people recently forced to emigrate should have their voting rights denied too.
    An injustice even.

They have commited no crime, but are ignored/ silenced from their country of birth.

The arguement its the way things have "always been done" holds NO water.
    Just look at the seanad for an example of what a selective electorate gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fianna saor

So an Irish person who has lived in Canada for twenty years can have a say, but an immigrant living in Ireland for twenty years cant?

no neither, only irish citizens resident in the country should have the vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,400 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

noooodles wrote: »
    The right to vote should be available to all citizens. End of.
    We are a republic. Nobody is "more entilted" to vote than another.

Its a modern scandal how the young people recently forced to emigrate should have their voting rights denied too.
    An injustice even.

They have commited no crime, but are ignored/ silenced from their country of birth.

The arguement its the way things have "always been done" holds NO water.
    Just look at the seanad for an example of what a selective electorate gets.

Who said they committed a crime? and the argument isnt its always been the way its that they dont live here anymore. Now it may not be by choice but its a sad reality but i still dont see any logic in people getting to vote on something that will have zero effect on them while it will on us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

AFAIK members of the Defence Forces from NI have the right to vote in ROI elections.

The only reason they could do that is to register to vote using the address of the barracks they live in which would be in the Republic. Thats what i had to do in the UK to register to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

As im an Irish citizen abroad i should probably give my opinion on this.

As it is im happy to accept that i don't have a vote on elections in Ireland. I dont live in Ireland anymore and don't pay taxes there anymore either. I think it would be unfair for me to get a vote under these circumstances and i dont think it would be fair for anyone else living outside the Republic to be able to vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

As it is im happy to accept that i don't have a vote on elections in Ireland. I dont live in Ireland anymore and don't pay taxes there anymore either. I think it would be unfair for me to get a vote under these circumstances and i dont think it would be fair for anyone else living outside the Republic to be able to vote.
    its funny, i've met a few abroad who are of the same opinion.

still, my counter arguement would be that we are meddling enough in the affairs of the nation as it is through the backdoor that it would do no harm giving a direct vote.
    • Through consultations like the Farmleigh process prominent Irish emmigrants and diaspora had more of an input into policy making than any of the independent TDs in the dail elected solely by irish residents. Those folks dont live or pay tax in Ireland.
    • Through the current Seanad voting system, any graduate of the NUI or Trinity has an input into the election of their Senators. Those folks dont live or pay tax in Ireland.
    • In previous Seanads it was even more explict the input that was given by non residents when UK based people like Gordon Wilson had a seat and a direct say in the passing of every law and budget in the Republic.
    • Many of the experts in Irish themes are Irish citizens working abroad in Irish departments of foreign universities and their opinions and submissions are also guiding and shaping government policy. Take this submission to the constitutional convention 6 weeks ago from a UK based acedemic https://www.constitution.ie/AttachmentDownload.ashx?mid=ae0eb9bc-977a-e211-a5a0-005056a32ee4

Anyhow, according to the Constitution convention calendar, on 28/29 September the session will be examining the subject of "Votes for Citizens Abroad" so any arguements here are moot as the important discussions will be trashed out there.
    Seeing as they have already broken the mould by recommending that 16 year olds get the vote I'd be hopeful that they would also see fit to offer it in some way to citizens abroad, even if it comes to be limited to recent emmigrants or the likes.

In ways many emmigrants (with no vote) and a 16year (recommended to get a vote) old have similar interests. Neither pays tax to the Irish state but their votes would be focused on the future wellbeing of the country more than the vote bartering and subduding to bribes from political parties that was so damaging in the 80s, and even in the dying days of Berties reign, and will no doubt happen at the next election when FF rises from the dead with tax cuts and spending increases that the country already borrowing billions per month from the troika cannot afford.
    The emmigrant with the hope of a job to come back to down the line and the 16year old the hope of a job after college - and both with the hope that Ireland prospers and can offer the chance to earn a living without needing to go or stay abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fianna saor

well said sir

Advertisement