Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH Personal abuse..is it bannable or what?

Options
  • 11-03-2013 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭

Well you would be the expert on backward rednecks
    How go things in your KKK chapter these days, the burning crosses must be costing a fortune with the price of both timber and petrol.

That's personal abuse and bannable in my book, and wasn't the only reported example of this poster having aiming personal abuse at me in the thread, yet the mod only thought it was a yellow card when he bothered responding. I've been banned for less so same rule needs to apply. :rolleyes:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's no abuse whatsoever in that post.

/neutral outsider's opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There's no abuse whatsoever in that post.

/neutral outsider's opinion
    In fairness, it's an inflammatory remark.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

smash wrote: »
    In fairness, it's an inflammatory remark.

Tis that. Just pointing out that the OP is going to have to get their terminology right if they want to play Rules Lawyer with the After Hours charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hm. What's that quote about the beam in your own eye?
    Bambi wrote:
    Usual stone age bogger carry on, they'd be out badger baiting if we let 'em. They probably are anyway
    Would suggest a distinct lack of a pair and some concerns in the length dept too.
    Was anyone there watching the cow being tortured to death, working up an erection while drooling all over their stone age bogger chin?

No?

Then stfu mi amgio
    And that's just one thread. Reading over "all posts by Bambi" in search is downright NSFW.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Not to worry lads. I'll just reply in kind and if I get banned I'll tell them youse okayed it. :)

Sparks wrote: »
    Hm. What's that quote about the beam in your own eye?

And that's just one thread. Reading over "all posts by Bambi" in search is downright NSFW.

Is someone still a teensy bit sore over the stick that their little tree house gang took in that thread? :(

I take my bans when they come and you can take your little grudge somewhere else, There's a good chap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

You're missing something.
    He used ":p". I assumed he was being sarcastic.
    And you mentioned backwards redneck first IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Link to the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Bambi wrote: »
    Not to worry lads. I'll just reply in kind and if I get banned I'll tell them youse okayed it. :)

Is someone still a teensy bit sore over the stick that their little tree house gang took in that thread? :(

I take my bans when they come and you can take your little grudge somewhere else, There's a good chap.

You'd wanna be careful Bambi or you'll have the entire hunting forum in here hijacking the thread.

Looking at the post you quoted in isolation (its how all this dispute stuff is done right cmod Sparks ?) I'd say its a red card. Definitely a bit much for just a warning. Wouldnt say its a straight ban though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Looking at the post you quoted in isolation (its how all this dispute stuff is done right cmod Sparks ?)

No. Context is always taken into account.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    No. Context is always taken into account.

I mean looking at the post thats at issue (and context surrounding it) to see if its actionable not other peoples similar posts (from that same thread, let alone from other threads) which as is pointed out regularly in dispute resolution have nothing to do with whether or not a particular post is actionable.

I mean looking at the post thats at issue (and context surrounding it) to see if its actionable not other peoples similar posts (from that same thread, let alone from other threads) which as is pointed out regularly in dispute resolution have nothing to do with whether or not a particular post is actionable.

Yeah, by context I meant the user's past posts and interactions with the other user in question, and the thread the particular post was in. Dragging up a post by a third party showing some disparity isn't relevant in a DRP thread, it is however relevant if you were challenging the moderation in general but you don't do this by DRP you do it by PMing the CMods.

This really should be laid out a lot more clearly. Basically if you have a problem in a forum that isn't specifically got to do with a ban or infraction you've received you can most likely talk to a CMod(s) about it. Though usually it's best to talk to the forum mods first and try and sort it out that way.

Yeah, by context I meant the user's past posts and interactions with the other user in question, and the thread the particular post was in. Dragging up a post by a third party showing some disparity isn't relevant in a DRP thread, it is however relevant if you were challenging the moderation in general but you don't do this by DRP you do it by PMing the CMods.

This really should be laid out a lot more clearly. Basically if you have a problem in a forum that isn't specifically got to do with a ban or infraction you've received you can most likely talk to a CMod(s) about it. Though usually it's best to talk to the forum mods first and try and sort it out that way.

Pming the mods & cmods should be the first port of call but in my experience its always a fruitless venture in terms of discussing the modding of the forum. Both with how much the mods are gonna take on board and in terms of how much they will discuss with you about actions in relation to other members.

There should be a public forum to discuss these issues and feedback seems to be it. However rather than get a discussion on posts in relation to personal abuse (topic of this thread), you get the likes of Sparks there highlighting some abrasive posts they made in other threads, which are not personally directed at users as the one in the OP was to basically to dismiss the issue. If Sparks has issues with those posts he should report them, otherwise they are of no relevance to the discussion of whether or not that post in the op should have been more than a yellow.

And its the same with most other issues in here in relation to mod actions. There is very little transparency in terms of the modding of the forums and there is very little you can do to raise those issues in any meaningful way without being dismissed out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

IMO robustly refuting somebody's argument isn't personal abuse.

You might not like it if somebody does it to your argument but it's not exactly personal abuse now is it.

P_1 wrote: »

You might not like it if somebody does it to your argument but it's not exactly personal abuse now is it.

In my buke, ignoring the argument and implying that someones is a member of the ku klux klan is personal abuse.

Not to worry though :)

And its the same with most other issues in here in relation to mod actions. There is very little transparency in terms of the modding of the forums and there is very little you can do to raise those issues in any meaningful way without being dismissed out of hand.

Approach a CMod, seriously we don't dismiss stuff out of hand unless it's completely unreasonable.

Transparency has improved. It definitely isn't perfect but it's a lot better than it was. DRP, Feedback and Helpdesk give people places to air grievances publicly and for the process to be seen publicly.

In my buke, ignoring the argument and implying that someones is a member of the ku klux klan is personal abuse.

Not to worry though :)

In my book something like that is just devoid of all possible logic and just something to be laughed at. I can see how some people can see it as personal abuse though :)

One thing I personally dislike nowadays is people conflating personal abuse and personal attacks.

One thing I personally dislike nowadays is people conflating personal abuse and personal attacks.

Yeah it boils down to the 'attack the post, not the poster' logic doesn't it.

Seems a lot of people associate somebody attacking their post with that somebody having a pop at them.

Approach a CMod, seriously we don't dismiss stuff out of hand unless it's completely unreasonable.

Transparency has improved. It definitely isn't perfect but it's a lot better than it was. DRP, Feedback and Helpdesk give people places to air grievances publicly and for the process to be seen publicly.

I have approached cmods and found them very willing to listen initially, but when it gets down to the modding of the forum itself and the actions of the mods it all get very hazy. I know you're dealing with one person with one opinion (albeit a more informed one) but unless its a clear cut case with a clear cut answer its probably gonna end in a "what can ya do" type of a scenario. Take it up in feedback if ya dont like it.

DRP is good because you get a definitive answer but if there is more to that problem then you have to go elsewhere. Feedback good to air these things and get input but I personally would be put off by the AH type attitude in here where more often than not the OP is poked fun at and criticised rather than their concerns addressed.

• Advertisement

I have approached cmods and found them very willing to listen initially, but when it gets down to the modding of the forum itself and the actions of the mods it all get very hazy. I know you're dealing with one person with one opinion (albeit a more informed one) but unless its a clear cut case with a clear cut answer its probably gonna end in a "what can ya do" type of a scenario. Take it up in feedback if ya dont like it.

I don't know the details of what your dealings with CMods were about so I can't comment really.
    DRP is good because you get a definitive answer but if there is more to that problem then you have to go elsewhere. Feedback good to air these things and get input but I personally would be put off by the AH type attitude in here where more often than not the OP is poked fun at and criticised rather than their concerns addressed.

It's a lot better in here than 4 or 5 years ago. Again, not perfect but progress made.

Seems a lot of people associate somebody attacking their post with that somebody having a pop at them.

Well if you reference the individual and not the argument then its attacking the poster. The post in the OP was clearly attacking the poster. Whether you see what they said as abusive or not is the question.

I'm more thinking of me attacking your character and me abusing you "verbally." They're not the same thing and shouldn't be punished the same way I think.

The whole, "they attacked my post, they abused me" nonsense is tiring alright.

Well if you reference the individual and not the argument then its attacking the poster. The post in the OP was clearly attacking the poster. Whether you see what they said as abusive or not is the question.

I guess its all subjective. Personally if I see somebody trying to use something s idiotic as that to rile me up I just ignore it because I see it makes no sense so why should I get offended by it.

It's a fact of life that some people have thicker skins than others.

The whole, "they attacked my post, they abused me" nonsense is tiring alright.

Which might be in some relevant if they were attacking a post. But they aren't. You're clear on that yeah?

I guess its all subjective. Personally if I see somebody trying to use something s idiotic as that to rile me up I just ignore it because I see it makes no sense so why should I get offended by it.

It's a fact of life that some people have thicker skins than others.

Well you cant dictate who will be offended by what or how thick their skin is. Which is why attacking the poster and personalising the discussion just isnt allowed. You have to have a clear line of whats acceptable and whats not.

As for whether its abuse or not it seems like it was to me. You dont have to outright call someone names to be abusive. Simply implying something is just as effective but not as often dealt with on boards which is why think people find it difficult to know where the line is. "You're a retard","Only a retard would write something like that","How's things in the rehab centre ?" etc etc. All essentially the same attack but attacking the person on various levels.

Well you cant dictate who will be offended by what or how thick their skin is. Which is why attacking the poster and personalising the discussion just isnt allowed. You have to have a clear line of whats acceptable and whats not.

As for whether its abuse or not it seems like it was to me. You dont have to outright call someone names to be abusive. Simply implying something is just as effective but not as often dealt with on boards which is why think people find it difficult to know where the line is. "You're a retard","Only a retard would write something like that","How's things in the rehab centre ?" etc etc. All essentially the same attack but attacking the person on various levels.

I get you. Yeah implicitly abusing somebody with sly comments like that is just the same as explicitly doing the same.

It is a tough one all the same, some people just go out of their way to get offended and some people go out of their way to offend people. Both are as bad as each other IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There's a remarkable lack of irony about this thread. If a search of your past posts reveals a long history of being abusive to other posters, but not having a sufficiently thick skin to accept such abuse in return, then perhaps not posting abuse yourself in the first place would be a good idea?

Which might be in some relevant if they were attacking a post. But they aren't. You're clear on that yeah?

I'm not talking about your query but a general point.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    There's a remarkable lack of irony about this thread. If a search of your past posts reveals a long history of being abusive to other posters, but not having a sufficiently thick skin to accept such abuse in return, then perhaps not posting abuse yourself in the first place would be a good idea?

I've thick skin a plenty. I'm happy enough to take abuse so long as I can reply in kind. That's not how some AH mod's roll though, tend to be uneven in the application of their own rule depending on who they're applying it to.

Of course if you're not happy with me following boards SOP you could moan about the rules instead of bitching about me. You probably won't though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement