Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Argos can refuse any warranty within a year

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Nody wrote: »
    ... It is not working in your specific set of circumstances but that does not mean the device is not working and short of you specifying in advance to Argos your requirements your case ends up as a change of mind basically.
    I disagree.

The specification for the item (from amazon web-site) states clearly under compatibility - "802.11b/g/n Compatible with all brands". If Argos makes the same claim, then there is every reason in the world for OP to insist on a refund or an alternative product as the device does not meet the IEEE standard it claims. Therefore, in consumer law the item is not "as described", nor is it "fit for purpose" (as an IEEE standard network repeater) and on that basis it probably also fails the test for being of "merchantable quality".

So hormonal / crazy shop-manager in Argos Mahon wrong, Argos e-Commerce bird wrong, OP 100% correct.

Sock it to them. They are wrong on all counts and rely on Irish consumers backing down. Please don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

sorry to slightly hijack the thread but I was considering buying one of these devices myself.

Am I correct in assuming (from your post) that - to put in in laymans terms - if you have a location where a device (say a TV) cannot get *any* signal from the router, and you put this device between the tv and the router so that that it only sees this device, it'll work?

But if your TV has a *poor* reception on the router, then the device won't work because sometimes the router has a stronger reception than the TV?

ie
    5ZKQvR_thumb.jpeg
    is good but

6VDbgL_thumb.jpeg

is bad?

man, that'd wreck my head if I bought a device like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

I did not read all of your post so sorry if you have all ready said you have tried this. Change the wireless Chanel there should be 13 different wireless Channels and see how you get on.

It is a repeater, it automatically picks up the original signal, and repeats that, same channel, same SSID. I have already solved the issue with an another product where I could change these parameters in the software, but in that product, I couldn't, this is why it did not work.

It is definitely a software issue with the device, and obviously it is not my fault.

dolallyoh wrote: »
    Bring back to another store, just say its dead and ask for a straight swap. They will give you a new one in a box. Return this one and ask for a refund or ebay it.

I did, the store manager in Mahon called all the Argos around Cork to do not take back this device. They are very customer friendly, right?

Solair wrote: »
    I think you'd be better off going in and saying:

"This yoke I bought doesn't work"
    "I followed all the instructions and it still doesn't work"

You've given them WAY too much info! Argos is a warehouse operation that sells stuff in boxes. It has very limited IT knowledge.

They would give me (as they did) a replacement from the same device, what should I do with that? Going back every day to Argos to always ask for a replacement costs me twice in fuel costs as the value of the product.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,539 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Paulw wrote: »
    I have no problem buying with Argos, but I always make sure I do my own research before I buy anything.
    Frankly I much prefer to buy things where people know wtf they are talking about. This woman sold things out of a catalog. She knew how to run cash drawers and a warehouse. You'd have been far better off making the purchase from a PC Store.

Another thing to try is emailing the Manufacturer. Did this for Skullcandy, they told me to take it back to the original shop. They contacted the shop for me and that was that; same day exchange, while barely having to re-explain myself to the guy at the counter as to why I was trying to promote his R&E %.
    Melendez wrote: »

Well, theres a rant for that. But the short version is companies regularly assume "it's not worth it", and can use their status as giant revenue machine versus the average small time earner to get away with the most inane crap. What might be a $5 discrepancy to one customer, might result in $250,000 in falsely earned profits to a company. Or more.

The courts are the consumers biggest hammer when it comes to making sure companies are shooting straight. Lawsuits are a big headache for legal departments everywhere and companies do fear them. Thats why they make it so critically important in my job that the consumer gets a print or email copy of the terms and conditions of any protection plan they buy; because some guy, some where, filed a lawsuit complaining he didn't get the terms and that we had to make it our business to replace whatever television he dropped into a swimming pool or something (I may be exaggerating). Lawsuits are also the reasons that detaining shoplifters is a ridiculously multi-phasic process, with clear Do's and Don't's, and only the few people trained in security - not even the managers themselves in most cases - are able to take action against shoplifters. Because yer wan, some how, some where, filed a suit how she was wrongly accused of theft, or the shoplifter complained we injured his arm when we detained him, etc. - In each case, the ****ers probably won millions of dollars.

But in the case of inane **** like not taking back a range extender, a small claim filing like that, and enough of them, can change company policy.

tbh wrote: »
    sorry to slightly hijack the thread but I was considering buying one of these devices myself.

Am I correct in assuming (from your post) that - to put in in laymans terms - if you have a location where a device (say a TV) cannot get *any* signal from the router, and you put this device between the tv and the router so that that it only sees this device, it'll work?

But if your TV has a *poor* reception on the router, then the device won't work because sometimes the router has a stronger reception than the TV?

ie
    5ZKQvR_thumb.jpeg
    is good but

6VDbgL_thumb.jpeg

is bad?

man, that'd wreck my head if I bought a device like that.

Exactly! If your end device cannot see the primary device, it will always connect to the repeater and the connection will be stable. But as soon as any device in the house can see both, they will continuously connect and disconnect based on which router (or repeater) has a stronger signal.

But, if you can select in your software on the repeater, that the repeated network name is "MYNETWORK2" instead of "MYNETWORK", you can choose on the end device the network. This is why two BSSID (router) with one SSID (network name) is a design issue. In this TP-LINK device everything is automatic, so there is no option what should be repeater the network name (SSID).

Melendez wrote: »

If you have 3-4 devices on the "dark side", unfortunately it is not an option. Repeating (or extending) a network is not a problem in general, but you need a new network name to avoid the problem what I have. Of course repeating the network halfs the bandwidth too because it is using the same media for transferring the same data twice. But with an N network that shouldn't be a problem.

At the moment I have a network with name "NETWORK" on the ground floor, on the second floor where I still have reception, I have a repeater which can see network "NETWORK" and creates a new network with name "NETWORK2". In my tablet I have two network added, "NETWORK" and "NETWORK2". If I am upstairs, my tablet connect to "NETWORK2", even if it can see sometimes "NETWORK", and on the downstairs reverse that. It is very stable.

With that TP-LINK device I had only one network "NETWORK". When I was sitting on the floor on the upstairs, the connection was dropped in every 20 seconds because sometimes the tablet connected to my router downstairs, sometimes it connected to my repeater upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Well, warranties have nothing to do with your statutory rights, so we may as well forget what that says for now. I may have misread the wall of text at the start, but am I right in understanding that the product was sold stating clearly what it can do on the box? Were any assumptions made on the consumers part, such as assuming specifications that it didn't state on the box?

The product was sold stating a certain specification or standard and it does not meet that standard so it is unfit for it's intended purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Out of interest what product did you get instead of the TP-Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The product was sold stating a certain specification or standard and it does not meet that standard so it is unfit for it's intended purpose.

It's only the OP's statement that it does not work, this exact same device could be suitable for another user? Argos' defense is probably that the device doesn't work under the OP's specific set of circumstances, but as a device it does work. Either they or the OP should contact the manufacturer to discuss the problem and a solution should be reached.

I agree that Argos should be more understanding of the unique situation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Agree with OP here, i buy things based on stated spec and if that spec is not present, then its not sold as is. Foggy's letter for argos sounds like the way to go.

Tails142 wrote: »
    Out of interest what product did you get instead of the TP-Link?

DD-WRT on a Linksys e2000 in Repeater Bridge mode. There you can specify what is the repeater network name. DD-WRT actually mentions the same issue what I have:

"Wireless Network Name(SSID) : Different from Primary Router
    [NOTE] - You CAN try using the same SSID but it usually will not work properly. Many have had random disconnects and/or no connection if the SSID's are the same."

Actually any device can do that what is capable for DD-WRT. There is a TP-LINK router for around 40 EUR in Argos what is capable run DD-WRT, I wanted to exchange my extender for this router.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

foggy_lad wrote: »

Seemingly it does meet the specification but the OP has it placed where it won't work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Seemingly it does meet the specification but the OP has it placed where it won't work?

Where would he place so it would work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Is there a warning about the placement of the extender on the packaging or in the instructions which can be seen prior to purchase? No Argos do not operate like a shop but operate a catalogue business from their stores so the op could not know this product was not going to meet their needs until it was bought and opened and tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

That is absolutely shocking. but it doesn't surprise me! Had a disagreement with Argos last Christmas. Got an iPod for a present and even though the right catalogue number was given they gave an ipod with a different GB. Went back in the next day with the ipod still sealed in its plastic with the argos sticker on it. Took about an hour to get a simple replacement and the staff dealing with it were less than unhelpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

chriss745 wrote: »
    You know, I don't care about that anymore, I already stressed myself enough. I just wanted to tell everyone, how Argos has changed in the recent years, and if you don't want the same pain for yourself, avoid them if it is possible.

I had a similar experience with Harvey Norman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I know this is a bit old and slightly away from the original topic but when searching for a fix during the night this was the first Boards.ie thread the popped up and reading through it had me regretting my purchase .

BUT , for anyone else that stumbles upon this as I did , TP-Link have released a fix in the form of a firmware upgrade that I found out about an hour ago and it seems to have fixed my problem and would appear to have fixed the problem from the OP as you can now give the extended it's own ssid .... although that doesn't seem to be necessary now .

Sorry again mods but I thought it might be useful to some other poor soul .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement