Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One in 2 Austrians believe Hitler's rule had some positive aspects.

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Didn't Hitler start one of the first ever anti-smoking campaigns?

I mean, that's a pretty good thing, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

doolox wrote: »
    The reason why people may think there is some good in AH and the Nazi's is mainly because of high unemployment and its resultant plague on society, exclusion, poverty and underemployment.

Especially among the youth and undereducated many through no fault of their own a large portion of society in Western Europe and in many parts of the US etc are forced to compete for scarce jobs and scarce resources with people from the poorer nations of the Earth while being endlessly bombarded with advertisements extolling the values of aspiring to acquire more and more material goods at highly inflated prices breeding a large level of discontent and division in society.

Never before has the poorer elements of society been more aware of the lifestyles of the privilged elite and never before was there such a low level of security, certainty or predictability in the workplace.

Some people can handle this and thrive, others become angry and learn to hate. The more unscruplous exploit this hate and strive for power.

In my mind the worlds governments should work together to reduce unemployment to insignificant levels and allow everyone a slice of the economic pie.

Marshall aid was an example of this action across international boundaries after WW2. We probably need a similar rebalancing and redefining of world economic affairs at a radical level in order to survive.

There is an AH version of Godwin's law that applies in relation to the dole; the longer a thread goes the more likely the dole will be mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

A few things pal right:

1. They are not officers. They are private security. They have no right to assault me, and they started our confrontation by doing so almost before I could say anything at all in German.
    The officers hit you before you tried to escape? I highly doubt that.
    2. I retaliated in self defence after being punched in the elbow and shoved hard by one 'officer's' shoulder as well as having my jacket ripped somewhat by three men and a woman laying into me.
    While trying to escape.
    3. Not having a ticket is not a crime but a misdemeanor. Even here. Sounds like a Blueshirt word in this context.
    Obviously Austrian policy is to call the police in case of someone boarding a train without a ticket, as an Austrian resident who had full prior knowledge of Austrian law you should have waited for the police to come and accepted whatever punishment is deemed acceptable by Austrian law in this circumstance.
    Nobody has a right to detain you except the Police in this country. I did not wait because I knew these people, after having assaulted me first, would have told lies about me and exaggerated the situation.
    Private security have a right to detain you under circumstances where the person being detained is believed to have been guilty of a crime. In the case of shoplifting in Ireland it is totally normal for private security to detain a person while police come. Obviously the same policy applies in Austria re: boarding a train without a ticket.
    What I did was self defence.
    I don't believe they attacked you unprovoked.
    Would you let 3 Iarnród Éireann people do that to you? You would yeah.
    I've never used public transport without a valid ticket but in the hypothetical situation that I took the risk and got caught then yeah I would let them detain me.
    If I was more trustworthy of private thugs not lying to the Police about what happened and confident I would only receive a small fine as is the legal norm I would have stuck around.
    Someone has a problem with private security.

They can't make up charges, you have to be aware of any charge levied against you and you can't be liable for any charge the security can't prove. The least you could expect would be a day in court to explain your side of the story.

You committed a crime in a foreign country, made a scene, refused to sit quietly and accept the consequences of your decision and bitched that security hit you after you assaulted them while you attempted to escape justice. As I said before I hope they catch you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭DeadHand

A few things pal right:

1. They are not officers. They are private security. They have no right to assault me, and they started our confrontation by doing so almost before I could say anything at all in German.

2. I retaliated in self defence after being punched in the elbow and shoved hard by one 'officer's' shoulder as well as having my jacket ripped somewhat by three men and a woman laying into me.

3. Not having a ticket is not a crime but a misdemeanor. Even here. Sounds like a Blueshirt word in this context.

Nobody has a right to detain you except the Police in this country. I did not wait because I knew these people, after having assaulted me first, would have told lies about me and exaggerated the situation.

What I did was self defence.

Would you let 3 Iarnród Éireann people do that to you? You would yeah.

If I was more trustworthy of private thugs not lying to the Police about what happened and confident I would only receive a small fine as is the legal norm I would have stuck around.

Why is this boring, ridiculous argument still happening here?

All these interesting points about the war, Nazis, etc. and my reading gets spoiled by this nonsense that keeps popping up?

Can't you fellas start a separate thread for this squabbling or, better yet, go away?

Anyways, the T-34 was the best tank of WW2 hands down. While not nearly as powerful as, for example, the Tiger it was a stunningly efficient machine and a mechanics dream. Relatively easy and fast to produce, easy to repair, reliable and with spare parts lying around all over the place. The best tanks aren't necessarily the heaviest, fastest, best armed or armoured. Reliability trumps all that. It's no good having a powerful beast of a machine if you can't get it to the battlefield and keep it there.

The T-34 certainly wasn't individually the most powerful tank of the war but it was the most influential overall.

I wouldn't downplay British innovation during the war either. While perhaps not as innovative as Germany and certainly lacking Soviet or American industrial capacity they were streets ahead of anyone else in certain areas, most notably code breaking and, crucially, radar.

Although certainly not immune to disaster and often chaotic, the SOE were an innovative and surprisingly effective force in occupied Europe for most of the war, often on a shoestring budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I think the big question here is who was Hitler, exactly?

Someone should write a book about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

DeadHand wrote: »
    Why is this boring, ridiculous argument still happening here?

All these interesting points about the war, Nazis, etc. and my reading gets spoiled by this nonsense that keeps popping up?

Can't you fellas start a separate thread for this squabbling or, better yet, go away?

Anyways, the T-34 was the best tank of WW2 hands down. While not nearly as powerful as, for example, the Tiger it was a stunningly efficient machine and a mechanics dream. Relatively easy and fast to produce, easy to repair, reliable and with spare parts lying around all over the place. The best tanks aren't necessarily the heaviest, fastest, best armed or armoured. Reliability trumps all that. It's no good having a powerful beast of a machine if you can't get it to the battlefield and keep it there.

The T-34 certainly wasn't individually the most powerful tank of the war but it was the most influential overall.

I wouldn't downplay British innovation during the war either. While perhaps not as innovative as Germany and certainly lacking Soviet or American industrial capacity they were streets ahead of anyone else in certain areas, most notably code breaking and, crucially, radar.

Although certainly not immune to disaster and often chaotic, the SOE were an innovative and surprisingly effective force in occupied Europe for most of the war, often on a shoestring budget.

I can't see you getting too many tanks for that. Good read though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Citroen2cv

There probably wouldnt be any volkswagens if Hitler didnt come to power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Citroen2cv wrote: »
    There probably wouldnt be any volkswagens if Hitler didnt come to power.

Nor any Citroens had he remained in power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

MOD

Much old, wow.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement