Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good news everybody, researchers grow teeth from gum cells

• 11-03-2013 1:46pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭

They've grown hybrid human/mouse bioteeth. Just the thing for when you fancy some cheese.

No doubt the dentists will try to delay this as long as possible so they can continue to take kickbacks from the mercury pushers :(

science bit http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21718402
    The next major challenge is to identify a way to culture adult human mesenchymal cells to be tooth-inducing, as at the moment we can only make embryonic mesenchymal cells do this."

He said the hope was that one day the technology could replace current dental implants, which cannot reproduce a natural root structure

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

Bloody dentists, trying their best to lessen your pain with the most advanced scientific and commercially available mercury based products. F**k dentists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I'd say Shane Mc Gown will be delighted with this news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

they've been at this stage for a few years. they just need to get the cells to grow in an organised way, in the right direction, in the right place for it to work yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

lovely! now to go buy a box of roy rover bars :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

So the bee's have to sting you in the gums?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Feckin mice get everything before we do....remember a few years ago the one with an ear on its back? We still havent got that either!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Anyone wrote: »
    Feckin mice get everything before we do....remember a few years ago the one with an ear on its back? We still havent got that either!!!!!!
    In fairness that wasn't really a functional ear, more of a scaffold placed under the skin. Nothing groundbreaking there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

They are also working on placing a penis on a head for a select few AH posters.:pac:

I could do with one of those teeth,broke one of mine last week:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    In fairness that wasn't really a functional ear, more of a scaffold placed under the skin. Nothing groundbreaking there.

pffft.... well what have you grown on the back of a rodent smarty pants? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Bloody dentists, trying their best to lessen your pain with the most advanced scientific and commercially available mercury based products. F**k dentists.

At crazy prices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

steddyeddy wrote: »

At crazy prices!

Money<pain

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone wrote: »
    I hear they've repeated it on the stomach of another mouse named Captain Kirk

He's got a final front ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

He's got a final front ear.
    Good spotting there Captain. The humour is a great help. I would dearly love this tooth thing to be true. But why do I get the feeling we are being drip fed some hyped up minor advance so the lads can continue with the research. The standard disclaimer is always there:
    But it is still likely to be many years before dentists can use the method.

I need my new teeth now.. <Gritts whats left of my teeth and maintains a cheery disposition..:D >

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

EEEeeee by gum, Lad! What will they invent next?

Advertisement