Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best value game you've ever bought?

• 11-03-2013 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

I never buy new titles at release, unless I can get a heavy discount, which is always possible when you're mostly on pc. The idea of firing out 40 or 50 quid on a 8 to 10 hour game sickens me.

Im closing in on 300 hours on Left 4 Dead 2. Probably a long weekend's play for many, but an astonishing commitment for me considering I don't really bother with online MP at all! The icing on the cake is I bought it maybe 18 months after release which meant I picked it up for I think it was 12 quid on Amazon. By far and away the best investment I've ever made in my time gaming.

So what would be the game that's given you the greatest bang for buck?

FIFA 20xx aside obviously!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A boxed Japanese copy of MUSHA Aleste I got in the RAGE for fifteen euro.

Great value just because it's worth six or seven times that amount :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Civilization V for €24.99 in a Steam Sale over a year ago. I don't check the hours I've put into it anymore. Once I went past a certain point I started feeling the need to re-assess my life.

On the other hand, I bought Final Fantasy IX for £20 and I've cleared that around 15 times with around 30 hours per playthrough over the years. But that could be more to do with the it being my favourite game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

for content perhaps The Orange Box , but for total hours it would be Dark Souls, about 750 hrs or so in total. Also would have had a good few hundred hours on both COD MW1 and MW2

a few years back pro evo 4 kept me and my friends entertained countless hours !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Although between DLC and everything I've spent about 80 quid on CIV 5 I have also spent about 700 hours on it so that's right up there.

I bought FF10 presumably at full price but again, I put about 400 hours into it.

On the other end of the spectrum I spent about a tenner on Skyrim and Dawn of War 2 and got about 80-100 hours on both of them.

You really don't have to spend much, especially with Steam sales, to get a lot of game time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Suikoden 2. A relative in mine sent me a copy for free since he worked in Konami. Check the price for it now on ebay.

I tend to rank games more on how much enjoyment I got out of them rather than play time. Stuff like Persona 3 and 4 and Etrian Odyssey I've sunk about 80+ hours of play time that was amazing the whole way through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Not counting stuff like pro evo, or COD where I'd play matches over and over again, I'd say Skyrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Heno97

Assassins Creed 2 for 12 euro in Gamestop, thoroughly enjoyed that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The Orange Box for me. The best €12 I've ever spent.
    Also got Battlefield Bad Company 2 for a tenner and put some serious hours into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

age of empires 2 - €10
    civ 5 - €28
    d3 - €60

sunk about 1000 hours into both games.
    d3 - about 2000 hours now. €1800 from the rmah too :)

can't get enough of all three, but I reckon d3 is going on the shelf when aoe2 HD comes out.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition

Headstomping people nevers gets old, even after 100's of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kennryyr

EU3 for the PC from Paradox Interactive for €15 can't remember from where. If you're into history from 1350 - 1820 ish and like strategy games I would highly recommend this game, it's amazing.

Also you can download a whole load of mods and upgrades for free whicj really enhance the game. My favourite being the mod called MEIOU, just google it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I would have to say IL-2 Sturmovik , Must have put literally months into that game..Released in 2001 and I still play it for hours on end. New Campaigns and user patches have extended the title for many years to come too.
    I might add I still get my ass whopped online too.

That and Battlefield Bad Company 2 , Dark Souls..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

d3 - about 2000 hours now. €1800 from the rmah too :)

do people still use the RMAH? thats a serious return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

HL1 or HL2.

HL1, 10 hour SP + over 1000 hours in CTF and probably 8000+ hours of CS

HL2, 10 hour SP + Probably the same amount of MP hours with CSS.

WoW would be the only game close i guess.

CSGO i've about 400 hours since launch. Which is quite a lot considering i haven't got an awful lot of free time this year with uni.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Probably the L4D series. I've sunk a lot of hours into both of those games, and they've had some of my favourite moments playing with friends. Even when you play versus with public players who don't know their arses from their elbows you can still have a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Borderlands 1+2 over 1000 hours :eek:

Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion and Skyrim about 1000 hours also

So about 3 months of my life :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Team Fortress 2 (yes I bought it years before it was released as F2P :P); last time I checked I think I had over 2000 hours played in it; runner up as it's an MMO would be Everquest which when I quit had something like 600 days played accross all characters (that's over 14000 hours! :eek:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Terraria, best fiver i ever spent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

350 Hours on FM 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Fallout 3 for €2 in a Gamestop that was clearing out "old" PC games :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

MW2, I know a lot of people hate it but I got serious playtime out of that, some hilarious nights with the boardsie players back in the day.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I would have to say IL-2 Sturmovik , Must have put literally months into that game..Released in 2001 and I still play it for hours on end. New Campaigns and user patches have extended the title for many years to come too.
    I might add I still get my ass whopped online too.

God like sim. Glad I'm not the only 1 who played it. Spent many many an hour on hyperlobby in my Me 109 and FW190.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Skyrim is after taking about 120 hours of my life since I bought it, FM's down through the years have taken vast amounts of time too but I find myself playing FM13 more then the others.

FFVIII was also a game I ploughed crazy amounts of hours into back in the day, more so then VII, dont know why really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kick ass card games, that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

Fifa 11 on the PS3. 4 of us in the house all chipped in to buy it and we spent 100's of hours playing it and we still love it! Best entertainment for a group of lads in a house

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

There are so many games that have amazing bang for buck when you think of the hours they give you. I'd say my favourite get was Beatles Rockband with McCartney Bass guitar for a tenner preowned in xtra vision a few years back.

Huge Beatles fan and I thought the game was cracking.

So many old games you can pick up for about €10 are just phenomenal. Came back to console gaming after a few years after not playing for ages. I picked up the Assassins Creeds, Bio-Shocks and Uncharteds for next to nothing. Hours upon hours of pure entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

L4D2 and TF2 I'd guess, been playing both on and off since they were released, and TF2 was on a side thing to HL2 Episode One at the time, and TF2 is free now :o

Oh and BF2 , and MOH:AA which I was given for free :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

After a quick look on battle log I see I've clocked up 270hrs. Demons souls I'm closing in on 100 hr, I bought that for 20 quid on adverts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

If we're talking time-spent versus cost, I would nominate both Pokemon SoulSilver, and Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition. An incredible lump of my youth dedicated to the pair of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Oh yeah, I didn't think of the pokemon games. I'd easily clock up 2-300 hours per game per playthrough, so they'd all be well up there.

Advertisement