Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best value game you've ever bought?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, i cant put the exact number on few games, but some from the classics:

Diablo 2. I have played that game to death. Huge Value for Game+expansion.

Warcraft 3 + TFT. Great game, which ate hundreds of hours of my life. The best thing about this game was map editor. Even if you were not playing campaign or online, you could find hundreds of awesome community created maps. That was the editor, which gave birth to something like Dota!

Counter strike. I played it since it was born as a HL mod. It was a fantastic game and still fun today.

From newer games:

diablo 3. 260h and counting. I got back in to it again. Love it. All the patches making diablo 3 how it should be in the first place. I found it great value for how much i payed and how much play time i am getting from this.

BF3 160h++ Not bad i guess. Costed me in total about 80eu? Still playing it!

Civ 4 - Just enter the number and multiply it by 100. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I payed the full £40 whack for WWF No Mercy when it came out on the N64 but it was worth. I played it to death (had to get another copy) and still stick it on every so often. Best wrestling game ever.
    Also picked up The Orange Box on the 360 for a tenner which was nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I payed the full £40 whack for WWF No Mercy when it came out on the N64 but it was worth. I played it to death (had to get another copy) and still stick it on every so often. Best wrestling game ever.
    Also picked up The Orange Box on the 360 for a tenner which was nice.

what a game !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Going way back I would say that Streets of Rage 2 was amazing value for money. I have beaten that game countless times solo or in co-op. I suppose it was common back then to try and extend the lifetime of your games as you most likely only got a couple or three a year. It never felt like a chore going back to SOR2.

More recently I would say that Assassin's Creed 2, Assassin's Creed 3 and Mass Effect 2 have offered great value for money. All three were amazing games with very long story campaigns. Mass Effect 2 in particular on the PS3 was great value because it came with all the DLC included. I think I put close to 70 hours into it.

I nearly forgot to mention Fallout 3. Bought it cheap about two years after it was released and then got all the DLC free with PS+. After putting about 80-90 hours into it, I think it is safe to assume I got value for money.

It does seem like we are excluding sports games from the list for some reason. If we weren't I'd say any of the Pro Evolution games. Regularly get 150-200 hours out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Skyrim and Warcraft 3 for me, the only two games I think I've played for more than 100 hours; 130+ for Skyrim (bought the game for €25) and I'm sure over 100 hours for WC3 (bought for $30 back in the day). I'd estimate my maximum annual gaming time would come in at around 300 hours, so to play any game for more than 50 hours is a pretty big deal for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Have no idea what the best ever one was, but out of my Steam library it's probably San Andreas. Cost €5, I think. Put 37 hours into the single player plus another 40 or so, so far on SAMP.

Usually when I'm considering buying a game I try to think of getting value out of a game as €1 per hour playtime, some exceptions obviously but in general I try to weigh up how much gametime I'll get from it and pay equal or less the amount of euro to amount of hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

dark souls - over 250hours on it on several accounts :) bought it for 28e , and that was a month after its release :L i would of bought it for 100e cause it would of been worth it

age of empires 3 - probably the only pc game apart from counter strike ive put in easily over a 1000 hours on it since its launch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Street Fighter IV & its sequels, probably been playing them an average of 12+hrs/week for the past 4 years, so ~2500hrs on- and offline...

Before that, Final Fantasy IX (bought for £9), Secret of Mana (completed multiple times, played so much I leveled up all weapons & magic to max) and Donkey Kong Country 2 (bought for £15/20, played it so much I was speed-running it every other day).
    Also MDK, but that came free with our computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Would love to try Dark Souls but too scared of it. Frustration from repetition isnt my bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's only after months of obsessive play that my Planetside 2 account has managed to get close to the amount of time I spent on Plants Vs. Zombies. Must be more time spent on those games than the rest of my Steam account combined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Oh! And Jet Force Gemini. A bit expensive but amazing value.
    Why has it not been resurrected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

Would have to say it was Championship Manager 99/00, paid full price when released, it was a massive time sink. it out lasted 3 PC's/laptops and first played on Win 98 and only just retired it when i picked up the latest Football Manager in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mrwhimwham

Bayonetta on the 360. Payed 10 euro for it in CEX and have cleared it 4 times.

Have never done that with any other game!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Dota 2 since it's F2P, or the free copy of DoW I got when I bought CoH. Was like €20 for CoH and DoW in it, and spent so much hours on them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

cod4 35 days/840 hours play time for 40euro

still the best game for console

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Bought NetKar Pro recently, great sim, only costs €4.99. Their new game Assetto corsa is coming out later in the year, it's set to be one of the top sims of the year and I'm already getting to try it out because I bought NetKar Pro.

Before that I bought into the kart race pro sim for €15. another game I play until my arms go weak (FFB wheel).

Will have to buy ARMA 3 before the full game is realised too. The PC Beta programs really give you the chance to get some great game really cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

SimCity 4. Cheaper than games are today + 10 years of good use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

apart from CoD/pro-evo,I have put a scary amount of hours into the civ games.

Very rarely replay games but bioshock 1&2 I have replayed many times.
    Playing dark souls at the moment and have nearly sunk 100 hrs and can see me replaying it a few times :)

GTA IV: Paid full price on launch day, but still playing it regularly to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Pokemon black - Clock stops at 999 hours, still playing on :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Agricola wrote: »
    Would love to try Dark Souls but too scared of it. Frustration from repetition isnt my bag.

Don't be scared! There is a 'baptism of fire' element to it, I won't lie, but its difficulty has also been exaggerated - it is an extremely manageable game. Once you get into the rhythm of the game it is consistently tough but fair, with only a handful of 'unfair' exceptions (and luckily the insanely in-depth Wiki guides will get you past them with a minimum of fuss if needed). Honestly, you get so engrossed with it the difficulty becomes a non-issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Dark Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Don't be scared! There is a 'baptism of fire' element to it, I won't lie, but its difficulty has also been exaggerated - it is an extremely manageable game. Once you get into the rhythm of the game it is consistently tough but fair, with only a handful of 'unfair' exceptions (and luckily the insanely in-depth Wiki guides will get you past them with a minimum of fuss if needed). Honestly, you get so engrossed with it the difficulty becomes a non-issue.

I have read comments like that a lot but that is not how I found the game. I know everyone is different so I just had a totally different experience. I followed a lot of the advice in the huge Dark Souls thread but I got stuck way too early in the game. There is so much I've never seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I would have to say the orange box. I paid about €20 for it in 2007 and since then I've put about 3000+ hours into CSS alone. Probably another 1500+ into TF2 and I've played portal and half life 2 a few times as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Probably Quake wars: Enemy territory, might seem like a strange choice to some, but I sunk nearly 500 hours into that game! Would love a sequel, but I dont think it sold enough :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Command and Conquer Red Alert. Countless entire weekends lost to that game in system link.

Halo/2/3/Reach, for much the same reason.

Honorable mentions: Left4Dead, Company of Heroes, Unreal Tournament 99, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, COD4 and MW2...

Not necessarily my favorite games ever, but by far the best value given the playtime put in versus the cost.

People say games are overpriced, but the best of them are worth every cent ten times over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Battlefield 2, Battlefield 3 and World of Warcraft I would consider to be the best value.

Dota 2 is up there too. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

God, how did I forget Battlefield 2. I have BF3 and although I enjoy it regularly, it hasn't a patch on BF2 relative to when each game was released. There was a period of about 6 months when BF2 was the one and only game I ever played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Goldeneye for N64, endless hours spent on the multiplayer and trying for fast times for cheats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

also going to throw ocarina of time in there.

Man, I love that game so much.

Think it's time to whip out the n64 adaptoid and grab an emulator!

Advertisement