Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best value game you've ever bought?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Games i have stuck with over the years and never looked back.

Gears of War X Box 360@ Still play Gears, have done since Gears 1 and, the new Gears judgement is out the 22th of this month so excited for that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OERFpWKVmvM

Rome total war PC @ I still play this today and other total war games. This was Rome 2 back in the day
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5wgwMFiIaU

Rome2 the remake is due out this year can't wait for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o9qW3zzPoE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptr4Ddu7mNs

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Championship Manager 97/98, coincided with my first decent powered PC so i'd say i put in many a good 15 hour session, the only game i've sat from dawn til dusk with.

If i remember correctly the full game could be played without the disc, so I lent it to 3 of my mates, well over 300 hours x 4 of gameplay from one purchase.

What a legendary game. Eidos deliberatey released it without any piracy prevention solely to increase it's popularity.

Going on 15 years later, I still play it*. Bringing Torquay / Doncaster / Dumbarton / Scunthorpe from division 3 cannon fodder up the divisions to eventual champions league winners never gets old.

* - USB boot into DOS. I have a FAT32 partitioned drive where the game lives and run it after installing mouse drivers. Works with any machine I've tried it on. It's much better than trying to run it from within WinXP or Win7.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,083 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Souls games for obvious reasons. Sank about 100 hours in Final Fantasy X trying to beat the horrible Dark Aeons. Sank about 100 hours in total into the 3 Mass Effect games.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Based purely on time, it would have to be World of Warcraft. Even with the subscription it still works out at ludicrously good value if you simply equate money spent to time spent. I haven't touched it in two years but I played it for so long it will probably still be the game I spent the most time on years from now.

The Mass effect trilogy. The first two at any rate. I must have played the first one a dozen times all the way through. Rome Total War consumed years also.

Other notables would be any version of football manager and fifa as I play them so much. Sunk hours into Street Fighter 4. Contra 3, super mario world and Donkey Kong Country would be other contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Probably The Orange Box.

Up until that point I hadn't played any of Half Life² so I received three helpings in one. After that then there was Portal which was amazingly awesome and completely out of the blue and of course Team Fortress 2 which I've logged an embarrassingly large amount of time in (my Heavy skills are sadly not what they used to be).

I doubt we'll ever see it's like again.

I've also logged a ridiculous amount of time in both Left 4 Dead games, nearly 700 hours between the two :o!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Best value game I've ever bought myself would be between Football Manager 2011 and Battlefield 3. FM 2011 hours played were in the 2000+ before I decided to uninstall and currently, BF3 time played sits at 633 hours.

Best value game someone bought for me would be between FFVII and Streets of Rage 2. Played the discs/cartridge till my hands lost feeling :pac: Lost count a long, long time ago how many times I've started/finished each of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

ArmaII - So so much for the money once the community gets involved

Shogun Total War2 - 112 hours since xmas sales when I can get on it rarely ( i make time)

Probably going to get alot of hate but BF3. For the €60 I paid I have to say I got my money's worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Probably Demons Souls. Not only was the special edition only 45 quid, but I played it through 5 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

HL2 > CSS > L4D2

EDit,
    lol, i though the thread title said "best valve game",

best value game i bought, this gen anyway, deus x HR, fallout/skyrim, badcompany series, and bf3.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

Dungeon Keeper - 500 hours or so, great game.
    MOHAA - Played well over 3k hours.
    COD4 - around 2k hours.
    Rollercoaster tycoon 1 - dunno how much time I spent on this but it is another game that'll never get too old to play for me.
    AOE 1 - I only played offline, but I loved it so much.
    HoN - 20 euro and there's weekly updates on going.. have already put a good 1k hours into this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

In terms of gameplay hours per euro spent it would have to be Skyrim, followed by Football Manager or Starcraft 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

There are a few candidates from years gone by but the most honourable mention, from recent releases, has to go to
    Faster Than Light

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

A second hand copy of Demon's Souls for €30. A little much for a second hand game maybe but it's my favourite game of all time (and yes, I do have Dark Souls. Honestly prefer Demon's). Haven't put as many hours into it as other games but still the best purchase I've ever made in the gaming world. Would often get incredibly frustrated at it, then come crawling back a week later determined to try again.

...Yeah, I basically had an abusive relationship with a video game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

i played heroes of newerth for about 3000 hours. 30 euro. pretty good.

had to uninstall that big time. 8 months clean, now i just stick to meth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

How do people spend even near 1000 hours on a single game?

Even Oblivion which is by far my most played game, I only have 200-300 hours on the clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

quarryman wrote: »

Even Oblivion which is by far my most played game, I only have 200-300 hours on the clock.

I used to play red alert 2 for around 2 hours a day for close to 3 years so i would have played near 2000 hours not including the amount i played in the last 10 years

I've also racked up about 200 hours on BF3 and i wouldn't have played that consistently at all haven't played it since august last

1000 hours creeps up quite quickly with MP games you don't need to spend 6 hour a day to rack up the time just play it over the course of a year or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

After the time Ive sunk into L4D, I know I definitely wont be doubling it. Its too samey.

I think it boils down to really loving MP games, having a good community of friends that are on almost all the time, and having the craic. Its more like a sports pastime than a videogame at that point. In some ways Id like to experience that but then I know I'd miss lots of games because of it. A friend of mine who used to buy new games fairly regularly, now only sticks to Team Fortress without exception. I guess if you're enjoying it theres no problem, but I dont think he's played even one of the many great PC games that have been released in the last 12 months. I wouldnt like to go down that road personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

I remember there was a game I bought for the PC called "Hidden and Dangerous" which was released around 1998. It was one sick game. It was a first person shooter. 4 commandos in WWII running around various large scale maps.

There was one level where there was tanks and Germans attacking a small port which needed to be protected until you could get the team loaded onto an aeroplane and take off.
    Could never get past that level. The foot soldiers just kept coming and the tanks were hard to take out with bazokaa at the best of times never mind while trying to get the footsoldiers at the same time.

If anyone likes realistic WWII games which are **** hard with some really well thought out maps then get Hidden and Dangerous on Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Justin1982 wrote: »
    I remember there was a game I bought for the PC called "Hidden and Dangerous" which was released around 1998. It was one sick game. It was a first person shooter. 4 commandos in WWII running around various large scale maps.

There was one level where there was tanks and Germans attacking a small port which needed to be protected until you could get the team loaded onto an aeroplane and take off.
    Could never get past that level. The foot soldiers just kept coming and the tanks were hard to take out with bazokaa at the best of times never mind while trying to get the footsoldiers at the same time.

If anyone likes realistic WWII games which are **** hard with some really well thought out maps then get Hidden and Dangerous on Amazon.

yeah i remember i got that game it blew my mind. it was like commandos: behind enemy lines. but you as a 3D fps. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Company of Heroes.

Best 7 euro I ever spent, I still play the Blitzkrieg mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Mount and Blade: Warband - so many great mods that I almost never play the Native or standard module, or Crusader Kings 2.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Justin1982 wrote:

Great game, great atmosphere but quite buggy.
    The good news is that its legally available for free. Google Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe edition. It comes bundled with the expansion pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I tend to play Civ 5 while listening to podcasts.
    I listen to about 8-10 hours of podcasts a week (and sometimes I continue playing for a while when I've no podcasts left).

I'd still go for months at a time without playing it but if you're playing 8-12 hours a week for about half the last 3 years then it's pretty easy to rack up 700 odd hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Just for the sheer amount of hours put into it i would say Rock Band for me. Also ME3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

If you get hooked on a MP game its really easy to rack up thousands of hours tbh. Especially with games that have good communities, with clans, guilds or competitive scenes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Magill wrote: »
    If you get hooked on a MP game its really easy to rack up thousands of hours tbh. Especially with games that have good communities, with clans, guilds or competitive scenes.

Daaaaaamn. Warcraft 3 would probably be worse!

GxmSfHF.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

in terms of value for money, it's a toss up between Deus Ex and Age of Empires 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

Azza wrote: »
    Great game, great atmosphere but quite buggy.
    The good news is that its legally available for free. Google Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe edition. It comes bundled with the expansion pack.

Jesus it was as buggy as hell and bullets often went through walls that shouldnt have. But I was running it on a Fujitsu Siemens 750 MHz processor PC with crap graphics card that wasnt powerful enough to cope with the game properly so it crashed all the time. I kept playing it until I got to that **** hard level. There was so many Germans coming from everywhere that the PC couldnt process the game properly so I had to abandon the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Probably World of Warcraft, Baldurs Gate 2 or Championship Manager 97/98 for me.

Warcraft, for sheer number of hours, probably wins but it did cost a fair amount over the 5 years i played. I was totally addicted for a while though, and used to easily play 10 hours a day. It was pretty much the only game i played for a long time.

CM97/98 was played for years with 2 friends, and we used to spend almost the entire summer playing it 5-6 hours a day. And that was after we bought the game for around 20 pounds.

Baldurs Gate 2 had definitely been my most played, and best value, single player game though. I've pumped hundreds of hours into it, and replayed it god knows how many times. It's (imo, though that might change after my current Planescape playthrough) the perfect example of an isometric rpg. Truly a classic, and all for less then 50 quid (game + expansion).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

World of Warcraft. It was undoubtedly the best game I ever bought. I don't play anymore but after doing just about everything possible in the game I can safely say it was worth everything and more.

EDIT: Would have said WC3 but I got it off a friend.

Advertisement