Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPI and IMRO?

Options
  • 11-03-2013 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Could somebody explain why there is a need for both the PPI and IMRO in Ireland?

Both are proponents of copyright law and say they represent artists and recording companies.

Although IMRO state that they do not represent recording labels they state that their function is:

"function is to collect and distribute royalties arising from the public performance of copyright works. IMRO is a not-for-profit organisation.

Music users such as broadcasters, venues and businesses must pay for their use of copyright music by way of a blanket licence fee. IMRO collects these monies and distributes them to the songwriters, composers and music publishers who created the songs. The monies earned by copyright owners in this way are known as public performance royalties."

PPI website says:

"PPI issues licences to thousands of businesses and organisations from all sectors across the Republic of Ireland playing recorded music and/or music videos in public. These can range from bars, nightclubs, shops and hotels to offices, factories, gyms, universities and local authorities.

PPI also licenses music suppliers to copy recorded music for services such as in-store music systems, jukeboxes, compilations for exercise classes and in-flight entertainment systems. PPI also licenses TV and radio broadcasters to play copyrighted recorded music as part of their programming."

What is the subtle difference between these organisations?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Last I heard IMRO is compulsory. First time I've every seen anything about PPI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

They represent the management and collection of different income streams/royalties.

IMRO manages and protects the song copyright ownership of their members.

If you sign to a record label and they release your songs, the record label will owe you a fee/royalty for using your songs, (providing you have agreed that in the contract). If you are an IMRO member, IMRO will then invoice the record label/publisher on your behalf. And if someone tries to use your song without permission, or copies your song, or some other copyright infringement, you should bring that to IMROs' attention and they will pursue that on your behalf).

In addition to the above fees. If you, or another person/band performs your songs publically, in a pub or wherever, as an IMRO member, you or others should declare this to IMRO.

If you, or other acts have performed your own songs, you will be paid a public performance fee for that.

If you or another perform cover songs, you should also declare that to IMRO, as IMRO will pay the copyright owners a public performance royalty fee for that. That fee paid comes from the licence fee monies collected by IMRO from all places, venues etc that have live music performances or publically broadcast officially released music (by playing the radio, or back ground music etc .).

PPI collects broadcast royalties for owners of the "sound recordings" generated by radio play.

(Again, notionally the record label that you have signed to, have paid for the recordings, pressing, promotions etc, AND have paid you your writers fee collected on your behalf by IMRO. So the record label now (quite rightly) owns the "sound recording"), so they then get the broadcast royalties for official RADIO airplay. (That's how they make their dough). The song writers are due nothing from airplay, unless you have agreed a split of those royalties in your original contract).

IMRO looks after the interest of song writers.

PPI
    looks after the interest of their members (typically record/publishing labels, or whoever owns the "sound recordings).

RAAP
    look after the interests of session musicians or band members (not necessarily the writers) who have played on a recording that has been officially released and is getting airplay.

Last I heard IMRO is compulsory. First time I've every seen anything about PPI.

IMRO is not compulsory, but adviseable, not unless you want to look after the copyright management of the songs yourself, or sign a publishing deal with a publishing house.

PS: Another illustration. Notionally:

I am a songwriter and IMRO member, if a write a song, I register it with IMRO. (having previously applied for IMRO membership).

I then get signed to a record label. I have made sure that I have retained my copyright ownership in that contract. Then IMRO, as my assigned Copyright Management agency, will on my behalf, send the record label a bill for publishing my songs (normally worked out as anticipated physical (CD) sales and downloads. (ie: Not unless I relinquished/signed over these rights by previous agreement with the publisher/record label. (Don't so this!!!.read the small print..that's why there are music lawyers and organisations like IMRO!!)

(IMRO does not deal with broadcast royalties from airplay. The PPI has that responsibility).

Next Scenario: I am a record label and also a PPI member, and I have signed many bands to my label. I have paid them for publishing the bands songs via an invoice/bill that I received from IMRO. I have also paid for the studio time etc. And I now release these songs publically to the radio stations. However I own the "sound recordings" as I have paid the writers their fee for using their songs).

As a record/publishing label, I applied to become a PPI member. (PPI collects monies from all outlets that broadcast music publicly, mostly radio stations, but all other outlets that publically broadcast music, pubs, shops etc. All that money goes into one big pot). PPI are sent details by the radio stations etc of where the "sound recordings" I own, have been played. They then send me a dividend payment for "my sound recordings" being played on radio.

Next Scenario: I worked as a session bass player on a song I did not write, but the song I played on was officially released and gets lots of airplay. I am a member of RAAP. RAAP send me the performers fee for radio play from that song (and others) that they have collected on my behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

is it true that if a record label isnt a member of PPI then no lisence is needed.

Im sure small dance music lables want people to play their music and are not listed.

Maybe this if for commercial nightclubs only

• Advertisement

savic04 wrote: »
    is it true that if a record label isnt a member of PPI then no lisence is needed.

Im sure small dance music lables want people to play their music and are not listed.

Maybe this if for commercial nightclubs only

Hi Savic:

The caveat here is that I can give advice, but its my understanding only :) This is not Official PPI or IMRO advice. And you should call them for official confirmation of this.

Membership of PPI allows you to collect royalties from official airplay (Licenced radio station in Ireland and the UK).

A "record label" does not need to be a member of the PPI.

(I'm presuming that the music is owned by you? If so, you do not need a licence nor membership of the PPI,

If the music is owned by someone else, and has already been registered and/or published, and you are re-publishing it officially, or selling it, then you should get a licence from MCPS (physical CD's.)

If you are selling music you have covered by digital download, then you should check with the digital download provider what the licence requirements are.

If the music belongs to a friend, you would be best agreeing something in writing.

2) Im sure small dance music ladles want people to play their music and are not listed.

When you say "labels" do you mean clubs? I'll assume that you do. Any establishment that plays music is required to have am IMRO licence to do so. But they do not have to list what music they play.

So yes, they can play un-licenced music.

However, if a radio station plays your music and you are not a member of the PPI, then you cannot claim any (performance) royalty for that.

Edit: I think I did mis read this. Do you mean that you want clubs to play your music but they won't?
    You can plug your music to clubs and radio stations but they are under no obligation whatsoever to play your music, whether or not you have officially released it or not. That is the role of the plugger/record label ie: to get their songs airplay.

The music will have to be of good standard for starters. However, irish radio stations are always keen to get good quality original music, recorded in Ireland as they have an obligation under their licence contracts to play a certain percentage of music "recorded in Ireland".

Here I don't mean Irish artists, I mean music recorded and released in Ireland. For example, Bruce Springsteens recordings at The Point meet the radio stations licence requirement to play "Irish music".

(All licenced Irish radio stations MUST submit playlists to the PPI)

3) Maybe this if for commercial nightclubs only.

See above, it is my understanding that Night Clubs can play whatever (pre-recorded) music they like and do not have to submit playlists to the PPI or IMRO.

However a live band really should join IMRO and submit their playlists to IMRO, originals and covers.

That way, the original copyright owners (of the cover songs) are paid a royalty fee by IMRO, or if it is original material, owned by the band, and the band have registered those songs with IMRO, then the songwriters from the band get a royalty fee from IMRO under the "Tours Schedule".

Hope this helps....

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

cheers for that..

Im talking from Dance music Djs not commercial nightclub Djs..

For example a DJ comes to a nightclub, plays mostly his own prodictions or tracks.. why would PPI need to be paid for that ?

that is what I was wondering.
    Its fine if a commercial nightclub DJ plays all the top 20 every week.... but DJs or Dance acts coming and playing their own material, surely PPi have nothing to do with that ??

PPI is not involved with dance clubs. Only radio airplay.

Dance clubs will have a blanket licence to play music under their IMRO licence, whether it be officially unreleased or officially released.

Night clubs and the like, have no responsibility to inform either the PPI or IMRO what songs they play.

Hope that helps...

Foot note: it's great that night clubs will play underground/unsigned music. It's a great leg up for them to do that, and many publishing labels would pay them for the exposure.

If you are looking to get promotion for works you've done that is suitable for the club scene, I'd get all your mates that are going on holiday next summer to bring copies with them to the clubs there. That's the best place for dance floor / club music to break through.

Otherwise, if I was to plugging a new release, I'd be very grateful to any club or radio that played my artists music.

Also ask for favours from Club DJ's. They want to be associated with finding new quality music. Ask them to play one of your tracks mid-set. If the punters stay on the floor you might be in business, but I've seen the dance floor empty on a few occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gatoh

Instead of making a new thread - question - do I need to pay PPI and/or IMRO when showing RTE News or Sky news in the shop ( no music ) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

Probably a stupid question but is PPI and PRS the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gatoh

PPL collects and distributes money on behalf of performers and record companies for the use of their recorded music. PRS for Music collects and distributes money on behalf of songwriters, composers and music publishers, for the use of their musical compositions and lyrics.

Advertisement