Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Match & Beers

• 11-03-2013 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

Potentially sucidial or very far-fetched idea but anyways, anyone reckon there would be interest in a Socer Forum Match & Beers?

Idea :
    See what interest there is in getting people together for a friendly game, the more the merrier, ideally you'd want about 30-40 for the game at least, if you manage to get 2/3 of that number to the Beers it would be perfect.

Best case scenario would be 2 managers, balance the teams out, no point having 10 strikers on 1 team etc etc.

Charge everyone thats playing 10Euro, that should easily cover the rental of the pitch and food afterwards in a venue and if anyone wants to volunter to ref it then that would be brillant.

Kit, well I'm sure we could muster up a team of the same or similar colour to line out against a team of opposite colour between us.

Venue :
    Absolutely no idea, I presume, as the largest % of people on Boards are from the Capital the match could take place on an Astro in Dublin with Beers to follow in a place of choice via a vote on the forum.

Date :
    Again, poll on the Forum to see who's interested and when, I'd propose a Saturday afternoon in June,July,August time.

Basically I'm just seeing if there's interest in this, there'll be 3 options in the poll, 1) I'd like to play the Match and go to the Beers. 2) I'd like to go to the Beers but have no interest in the match. 3) No interest

It's a simple option really, no need for willy waving or acting the bo**cks or people saying "oh I meet people from the forum for beers all the time".

I'm well aware that as individuals you can organise a pi**up and match between you but I was hoping to get a few from the Forum together and take in a beer or two.

So what say ye?

Soccer Forum Beers and Match, interested? 33 votes

I would be interersted in the Match and the Beers
    0% 0 votes
    I would be interested in the Beers but not the Match.
    84% 28 votes
    No interest at all.
    15% 5 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Sounds like a good idea, I'd probably be up for it. I'm based in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I'd say you'd be better off trying to arrange say 6 or 8 5a side teams instead of 2 x 11 a side .

Would make it more enjoyable IMO .

No interest in taking part but good luck with it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Jax Teller wrote: »
    I'd say you'd be better off trying to arrange say 6 or 8 5a side teams instead of 2 x 11 a side .

Would make it more enjoyable IMO .

No interest in taking part but good luck with it .

Think this would work better....does the mods jurisdiction extend to real life?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Think this would work better....does the mods jurisdiction extend to real life?:pac:

Depending on the interest level then we can adjust it accordingly, just trying to get a feel for it.

After listening to what Frisbee had to say about it, it's a pain in the hole to try organise as you could get 50 saying they'll play but end up with less then half of that on the day.

I'd rather play then be dishing out cards, but I cant imagine anybody listening to me IRL if I start giving out.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I would be interest and preferably in late July or August.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I'd be up for it from mid May to July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Playing in my age? I stick with the pints :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I'd be up for it, but its unlikely given I live a whole hour and a bit from the Pale, out in the schticks of Waterford!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

kryogen wrote: »
    I'd be up for it, but its unlikely given I live a whole hour and a bit from the Pale, out in the schticks of Waterford!

Has the makings of a good match, Culchies v Jackeens :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Sounds like a great idea. I can captain the Culcies! :D

• Advertisement

What if I'm interested in the match but not the beers? There's no option for this in the poll? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Im more interested in the game than beers but could do both anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

More than likely be interested in both some time from may on! Out at the min with torn ankle ligaments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Could we have the beers first and then play the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Could we have a liverpool supporters vs Utd supporters match with some kind of pre-match handshake. I can see it ending well.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Could we have a liverpool supporters vs Utd supporters match with some kind of pre-match handshake. I can see it ending well.

Can I wear my full kit? :cool:

(Not joking btw!)

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Could we have the beers first and then play the match?

Couple of cans in the field before the game should be a good idea........
    niallo27 wrote: »

....which would lead us to this. ^

Sure I'll ring the ARU and tell them be ready for a mass brawl sometime in the afternoon. :P

What if I'm interested in the match but not the beers? There's no option for this in the poll? :confused:
    davycc wrote: »
    Im more interested in the game than beers but could do both anyways

Just click the first option, if people just wanted to play a game then I'm sure we could arrange just that as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well interested in this but have stag to arrange ands go to along with weddings and stuff. But if it's on a date that suits be up for it. That's before work comes into account.

I know it's difficult to have weekend which will suit everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Yea just spoke to the lads over on the Liverpool super thread.

We are up for it and ready to go....

Black_Booted_Thugs_Peru_Anti_Riot_Police_Military_Parade_Independence_Lima_072907.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Can I wear my full kit? :cool:

(Not joking btw!)

You'll make it into a certain thread if you wear it for the beers afterwards:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Leiva wrote: »
    Yea just spoke to the lads over on the Liverpool super thread.

We are up for it and ready to go....

Black_Booted_Thugs_Peru_Anti_Riot_Police_Military_Parade_Independence_Lima_072907.jpg

:pac:
    We'll see you lot there :pac:

camfin3.jpg

cambo2008 wrote: »
    We'll see you lot there :pac:

camfin3.jpg

Ye're not allowed to play Anderson. :p :pac:

zerks wrote: »
    You'll make it into a certain thread if you wear it for the beers afterwards:pac:

In that case, I better wear a mask!

DC6D3D9F-0E9A-4A34-A910-BBF5D5C2E975-4031-000005508110713C.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Soccer thread beers have been tried before. They don't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

id defo be up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

id play, equipped with earrings, snood and my colored boots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

EdenHazard wrote: »
    id play, equipped with earrings, snood and my colored boots

....listening to Justin Bieber. DONT FORGET BIEBER !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Someone has to represent the barstoolers ,
    so i'll be up for the beers not the game .......:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

monkey9 wrote: »
    Soccer thread beers have been tried before. They don't happen.

One happened, there were 5 people there.

There have also been matches where a Soccer Forum XI played against what was then a very active Poker Forum XI (this happened twice, or three times iirc, and there were beers afterwards too).

And I don't know if it counts, but there have been many, many meets of fans of LoI teams who post here over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Yeah, count me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Should have made this a public poll, because then it's easier to call out the idiots who say they'll be there, vote as such, but then don't turn up.

Otherwise every tom dick and harry will vote yes, it looks like a good few people are going to arrive, but then you end up playing 3 -v- 4 with a one legged dog making up the numbers.

It's always a good laugh to see the people who have been insisting they'd be there, up to an hour beforehand posting their excuses too. Granny arrived unexpectedly, "something came up".

FWIR, if the day suits I'll be there with bells on, but I work every second weekend and never go out the night before work, as I have to get up at 6am and be driving at 630am, so going out drinking is not an option.

I've a lot of vacation time to take, and will probably take a day off so I can go to this. Unless it's a Friday - Friday is LoI night. :)

Would go for the beers afterwards though.

Has to be Dublin too, the majority of people posting here are Dublin based.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd imagine the poll should be done in stages

General Interest first
    then Names
    then Dates
    then Times

Then see how many remain..

5-a-side/6-a-side etc astro cages might be an option for the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

bump

Advertisement