Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl for city centre

Options
  • 11-03-2013 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭

I've read that Lidl are going into part of the TK Max unit in town.
    Happy days!!
    This could shut down Tesco in Paul Street and Supervalu in MQ.
    I'd have no sympathy, though as both those shops are p1ss poor examples of Tesco and Supervalu. Hopefully one of them will close and Superquinn will move in.
    When this happens, I'll be able to do all my shopping on foot:D - no more driving up to Churchfield.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Link?

Great news if that's true! When I'm in town, I can do the shopping in one hit...

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Here's the link to the planning file.
    http://planning.corkcity.ie/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=1235488

I had only thought Lidl operated stores where they could provide parking so this will be interesting.
    I don't think it will get rid of Tesco though. While Lidl is cheap it doesn't have the range of other supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It doesn't actually say this is for Lidl though. (Unless I'm missing something! :D). Could this be for Aldi or Iceland I wonder? I did read somewhere Iceland were planning to open a store in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

It doesn't actually say this is for Lidl though. (Unless I'm missing something! :D). Could this be for Aldi or Iceland I wonder? I did read somewhere Iceland were planning to open a store in Cork.

It was in The Irish Examiner last week:

"…with German brewing technology on order — comes just as German discount retailer Lidl also gets a clear planning green-light from Cork City Hall for a new 25,000 sq ft supermarket in the basement of the Cornmarket Centre, bringing it closer to occupancy."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0307/business/brewery-for-coal-quay-224675.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

evilivor wrote: »
    It was in The Irish Examiner last week:

"…with German brewing technology on order — comes just as German discount retailer Lidl also gets a clear planning green-light from Cork City Hall for a new 25,000 sq ft supermarket in the basement of the Cornmarket Centre, bringing it closer to occupancy."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0307/business/brewery-for-coal-quay-224675.html

That's where I read it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Plus if you look at the plans for it you can clearly see 'lidl' on the shop front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Although it would be way more accessible for me I'd prefer if Lidl just started doing a delivery service like Tesco do. I don't drive, work 9 to 5.30 and have better things to do with my weekends than grocery shopping other than maybe a trip into the market.

• Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭will.i.am

Lidl has a store on Moore Street in Dublin without car parking!
    Good to see it coming to Cork city center as I felt it was always needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

will.i.am wrote: »
    Good to see it coming to Cork city center as I felt it was always needed.

yeah, another 'race to the bottom' bland rough and ready discount store is what the city needs, it will fit in nicely with the plethora of boarded up businesses :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

yeah, another 'race to the bottom' bland rough and ready discount store is what the city needs, it will fit in nicely with the plethora of boarded up businesses :rolleyes:

anything is better than a boarded up business :)

• Advertisement

Lidl (and Aldi) are not discount stores, they're supermarkets of which there are really only two in the city centre (3 if you count M&S). As a city centre dweller who's into their food, I'm thrilled. The quality of their produce often surpasses that of what's available in the likes of Tesco and Supervalue.

Would you prefer to see the unit empty?

Lidl (and Aldi) are not discount stores, they're supermarkets of which there are really only two in the city centre (3 if you count M&S). As a city centre dweller who's into their food, I'm thrilled. The quality of their produce often surpasses that of what's available in the likes of Tesco and Supervalue.

Would you prefer to see the unit empty?

What are the stores you are not counting? City centre has Tesco, two Dunces, Supervalu, and if you count M&S, that makes five supermarkets in city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

What are the stores you are not counting? City centre has Tesco, two Dunces, Supervalu, and if you count M&S, that makes five supermarkets in city centre.

Isn't one of those Dunnes, "clothes only". No food in the MQ Dunnes so it doesn't count. Why it's there at all is a good question when there is a Dunnes on Patricks Street that has it all. Maybe it's the proximity to the bus station that keeps it going.

4 supermarkets in the city center so, but Lidl would be a welcome addition.
    M&S covers the fancy side of the supermarket spectrum.
    Tesco on Paul street is sh*t. One of the most depressing shops in Cork.
    Dunnes has the best spot in town and would be my preferred one to go to if shopping in town, though it doesn't have a huge choice.
    Supervalue is good too, though I don't usually make my way down by MQ so I never go.

Lidl in by TX Max would be great. Lidl have a lot of nice produce and are great value. Definitely a step up from Tesco and will have more choice than Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I don't believe this would cause Tesco or Supervalu to close down (probably won't even make them blink) but it would be a welcome addition to the city centre and will create more jobs :)

I hope this is a success!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Bacchus wrote: »
    Isn't one of those Dunnes, "clothes only". No food in the MQ Dunnes so it doesn't count. Why it's there at all is a good question when there is a Dunnes on Patricks Street that has it all. Maybe it's the proximity to the bus station that keeps it going.

4 supermarkets in the city center so, but Lidl would be a welcome addition.
    M&S covers the fancy side of the supermarket spectrum.
    Tesco on Paul street is sh*t. One of the most depressing shops in Cork.
    Dunnes has the best spot in town and would be my preferred one to go to if shopping in town, though it doesn't have a huge choice.
    Supervalue is good too, though I don't usually make my way down by MQ so I never go.

Lidl in by TX Max would be great. Lidl have a lot of nice produce and are great value. Definitely a step up from Tesco and will have more choice than Dunnes.

Dunnes North Main Street has a supermarket so there are 5 supermarkets in the city centre.

Still, will be great to get Lidl in the city centre too :)

Isn't one of those Dunnes, "clothes only". No food in the MQ Dunnes so it doesn't count.

I didn't count Merchants Quay - why would I - it's clothes only. There are still two Dunnes Supermarkets in City Centre - Patricks Street and North Main Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

I don't have a problem with discount stores; we need them now more than ever.
    But I would be concerned about a concentration of too many in one location.
    In this part of the city centre around Cornmarket Street, Daunt Square and the end of St Patrick's Street there is now a Dealz store, a euro 'pound shop' and now maybe a Lidl. I think that might be overkill. We need the right balance of shops.

Woops, I forgot about Dunnes - 4 it is not counting M&S.
    Still, there are no quality supermarkets in the city centre hopefully, Lidl will make the others pull their socks up.
    I do think that it will hit Tesco Pauls St. pretty hard. All those foreign national city centre dwellers who shop in Tesco won't have any problem going to Lidl instead.

leahyl wrote: »
    Dunnes North Main Street has a supermarket so there are 5 supermarkets in the city centre.
    I didn't count Merchants Quay - why would I - it's clothes only. There are still two Dunnes Supermarkets in City Centre - Patricks Street and North Main Street.

Doh, forgot about that one. Think I've only ever been in there once in all my years in Cork.

6 supermarkets does seem a little bit much for Cork's city centre alright but I'd put Lidl ahead of all the others on value.

but I'd put Lidl ahead of all the others on value.

and quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

leahyl wrote: »

Still, will be great to get Lidl in the city centre too :)

I lived on cornmarket st. for the past four years until last week. Most of our shopping would have been done in tesco Paul st. Yes, it's grubby and looks like it's been abandoned by Tesco head office, but if you got in there at the right time it had a very good range for the size store. I'm not surprised that people are forgetting about dunnes North Main st. It makes Paul st. look like harrod's. The place is an absolute dump.

As for Lidl, I'd have definitely gone in there for a lot of things instead of tesco. If I was still living there my only concern would be noise from deliveries - which was a problem for a while with tk maxx. The micro brewery is also welcome, because the whole centre is a depressing reminder of celtic tiger hubris - even more so now that charanga is closing down.

and quality.

I choose "value" carefully :) It doesn't beat M&S for quality. The only one it really beats for quality is Tesco. I'd put it on par with Dunnes and Supervalue. In terms of value for money though, Lidl is beats them all. On top of that, their deals of the week are usually good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Pitcairn wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with discount stores; we need them now more than ever.
    But I would be concerned about a concentration of too many in one location.
    In this part of the city centre around Cornmarket Street, Daunt Square and the end of St Patrick's Street there is now a Dealz store, a euro 'pound shop' and now maybe a Lidl. I think that might be overkill. We need the right balance of shops.

Lidl would be a step up from dealz and irish euro stores to be fair.

you can want balance, but that isn't realistic at the moment. The councils urban plans from the 70's put too much emphasis on large suburban clustered retail. Much easier for stores to have serviced units in large shopping centres on the outskirts than having extra overheads of a self contained store in the city centre.

Advertisement