Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should a preliminary BER assesment cost

Options
  • 11-03-2013 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

How much should i expect to pay for a preliminary BER assesment of my house plans.

I have already started the block work using a eps board in the cavity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

So you've started building without knowing if you comply with building regs:eek:

Prelim assessment should be between 300 & 500 depending on complexity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 build120

My engineer/Quantity surveyor gave me a detailed costing with regarding to what insulation i should use. This was based on current reg as well as budjet.

But i have been thinking since that maybe a second opinion could never hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

build120 wrote: »
    My engineer/Quantity surveyor gave me a detailed costing with regarding to what insulation i should use. This was based on current reg as well as budjet.
    How does he/she know that the house as a whole is part L complient in the absense of a prelim ber assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 build120

My Engineer has a ber assessor that based on my build and budjet thought that i should get a b1 rating. However since reading up mainly on Boards i think i want my own assesment done. I want to see if i can add to my build to get a better insulated home. If there are ways to improve my build with out adding too much additional cost.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,647 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

build120 wrote: »

But i have been thinking since that maybe a second opinion could never hurt.

you really cannot do a detailed costing or specification without first doing a Prelim BER to see what is needed for minimum compliance.

to be honest, your engineers assessor shouldnt be basing a theoretical BER rating on anything other then a prescribed specification.

But fair dues, now is the right time to get one done. I always break my 'upgrade' suggestions into low cost, medium cost and high cost and reflect each with the reduction in energy values. whoever is doing yours, you should also request the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement