Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make gifs into one gif?

Options
  • 11-03-2013 5:46pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How does one go about this. I want to make pre-made gifs into one gif. i don't have the source images, just the gifs themselves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I couldn't suggest any particular tools, but how about extracting the frames from all the GIFs then making all of the extracted frames into a single GIF animation.

A quick Google gives plenty of web-based tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Last one I used (years ago) was Jasc Animation (or something like that?)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

You're looking for an animated GIF creator, not a GIF collage or the like?

Have you ever used Paint.net? There is a plugin at
    http://www.isimonbrown.co.uk/plugin-pack/?autodownload=1

This is a zip file, extract it and copy/merge the two folders with the Paint.Net directory in Program Files.

Next time you open Paint.net, there will be an option to save as .agif or .apng, and options to set loop delay and repeat count.

Create a layer for each frame of your video, put the layers in order for playback and save as .agif.

You will have to rename the file extension from .agif back to .gif in windows explorer after saving. (The plugin author didn't want to override the built-in .gif saver).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks I will look into your suggestions.
    ressem wrote: »
    You're looking for an animated GIF creator, not a GIF collage or the like?

Have you ever used Paint.net? There is a plugin at
    http://www.isimonbrown.co.uk/plugin-pack/?autodownload=1

This is a zip file, extract it and copy/merge the two folders with the Paint.Net directory in Program Files.

Next time you open Paint.net, there will be an option to save as .agif or .apng, and options to set loop delay and repeat count.

Create a layer for each frame of your video, put the layers in order for playback and save as .agif.

You will have to rename the file extension from .agif back to .gif in windows explorer after saving. (The plugin author didn't want to override the built-in .gif saver).

Actually looking for a collage, sorry for not making it clear. 2 gifs wide, 5 gifs down or so. So they are all side by side, not starting one after the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Yoyo's recommendation, Photoscape and the Combine tab seems to fit the bill.
    "Checker" sub-tab. Columns =2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Oldie but goldie! Simple and yet as efficient as ever. ;)

Open the animated GIFs, copy/paste the images into your image editor of choice. Once you have all images extracted and saved, just make one new animated GIF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Squeaky curious where Torqay comes across Tools?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ressem wrote: »
    Yoyo's recommendation, Photoscape and the Combine tab seems to fit the bill.
    "Checker" sub-tab. Columns =2

Hmm, that didn't work too well, just made loads of separate frames with each fram being copied to the second column. Will try some more on it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Squeaky curious where Torqay comes across Tools?

As hard to fathom as it may be, there once was a time when Microsoft produced classy software and had the audacity to give it away for free. ;)

Released in 1996, the mighty MS GIF Animator soon became the scourge of the interwebs. It has never seen any updates. Why, you may ask? Well, they just couldn't make it any better. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

If you're looking to create a 2 x 5 array Gimp will probably do this, though I haven't used it in ages so I can't give you a step by step guide. Photoshop will do it. Are the pixel dimensions of the GIFs all the same?

Yeah all the same. Have gimp installed so will have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

OK it should be easy enough to do, just create a new image with dimensions that are the correct multiple of the pixel dimensions of the original GIFs. Copy and paste the individual images into the array and resave as a GIF. You may have to change each of the original GIFs from indexed color to rgb so you can use layers. Well, you'd have to do that if you were using Photoshop.

Kenny, I have a licence for cs2, and no I wouldn't mind anyway :p
    Gyck wrote: »
    OK it should be easy enough to do, just create a new image with dimensions that are the correct multiple of the pixel dimensions of the original GIFs. Copy and paste the individual images into the array and resave as a GIF. You may have to change each of the original GIFs from indexed color to rgb so you can use layers. Well, you'd have to do that if you were using Photoshop.

Cheers will give it a shot later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Sorry, I deleted that post, wasn't sure if it was allowed.

ImageReady is pretty good with animated gifs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Torqay wrote: »
    As hard to fathom as it may be, there once was a time when Microsoft produced classy software and had the audacity to give it away for free. ;)
    B4 my time:p

How many of these do you remember?

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/03/operating-system-interface-design-between-1981-2009/?2011

Advertisement