Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP Camera over 3G

Options
  • 11-03-2013 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have just bought an IP camera and was wondering would somebody be able to answer a few questions about working it over 3G (there is no phoneline/Wi-Fi where I plan to put it). I have already connected it to the Wi-Fi at home, and was able to access it over 3G, but when I try to do it the other way around (through a 3G hotspot), it fails every time. I seen somewhere online that some mobile companies change the IP address regularly, or have many people using the 1 IP address, and I think that's why I can't connect.

Does anyone know of any mobile networks which I could use to connect the camera to, and if there is one, would 5GB a month be sufficient (browsing it occasionally (1FPS @ 640x480)), and possibly timed photos/motion sensor.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

Does anyone have any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What make / model camera is it, are you looking at it through a browser or app ? And what model is the modem, and what network is the modem on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

What make / model camera is it, are you looking at it through a browser or app ? And what model is the modem, and what network is the modem on ?

It's a Maginon IPC 1. The modem I'm using is a Globesurfer II. As for the network, I have a Three sim and an o2 sim, have been practicising with both, with no joy (can't connect to the IP address, yet the camera can send me screenshots of motion). As for viewing I am just using the IP address, when its connected to the house broadband, I just enter my IP address when I'm away and it connects flawlessly.
    From looking online everyone seems to mention DynDns, but I can't see how it would work, and I don't want spending 30 euro on a year subscription to something that doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I assume youve configured the port forwarding on the option modem ? , if so, it is possible that neither o2 nor 3 are allowing inbound connections to your IP , in which case DYNDNS will not help, you could have the camera connect to a hardware or software DVR at your house or somewhere else with a fixed connection and you can dial into that, ill look through the manual later and see if the camera supports this.

Advertisement