Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a limit on number of dogs in backyard within town boundries?

• 11-03-2013 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if there are any regulations that limit the number of dogs that people can have in their backyard, within town boundries. The house in question now has four medium-large breed dogs in their backyard. It is a fairly large backyard for a house in town and the dogs are quiet, but i'm still wondering. They have one very large kennel to share - i've seen at least two dogs in there at once. I've never seen anyone out playing or interacting with the dogs. They don't seem to be breeding them as i've never seen puppies there and they have had two of the dogs since late 2011 (and they were adult dogs when they turned up). Also two of the dogs are of a breed that require daily brushing and these dogs have never been brushed - their coats are incredibly matted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,455 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Planning permission - nothing needed unless it was a commercial operation, operating as kennels or breeding.

Dog licence - the higher fee licence would be required.

Noise - only if they were causing an unacceptable nuisance.

Animal welfare - evidence of actual mistreatment would be required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

^^^^^^^ Also neglect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Victor wrote: »
    Planning permission - nothing needed unless it was a commercial operation, operating as kennels or breeding.

Dog licence - the higher fee licence would be required.

Noise - only if they were causing an unacceptable nuisance.

Animal welfare - evidence of actual mistreatment would be required.

Why would a higher fee licence be needed, what licence do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Maybe they mean four dogs, four licenses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Kloecor

mel.b wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if there are any regulations that limit the number of dogs that people can have in their backyard, within town boundries. The house in question now has four medium-large breed dogs in their backyard. It is a fairly large backyard for a house in town and the dogs are quiet, but i'm still wondering. They have one very large kennel to share - i've seen at least two dogs in there at once. I've never seen anyone out playing or interacting with the dogs. They don't seem to be breeding them as i've never seen puppies there and they have had two of the dogs since late 2011 (and they were adult dogs when they turned up). Also two of the dogs are of a breed that require daily brushing and these dogs have never been brushed - their coats are incredibly matted.

I would bring your local animal shelter and they will be happy to answer your questions (I'm sure!). If they are not being brushed then it is neglect! The people might only need a warning to kick them up the butt! There really should be at least 2 kennels aswell :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,455 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ISDW wrote: »
    Why would a higher fee licence be needed, what licence do you mean?

If I'm right, if you have more than one dog, you need a General Dog Licence. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Kloecor

If I'm right, if you have more than one dog, you need a General Dog Licence. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html

An individual dog licence costs €20 and is valid for one year.

A general dog licence costs €400 and is valid for one year.

A 'lifetime of dog' licence costs €140.

That's be more for breeders and shelters etc.

I have three dogs.... like hell I'd pay €400 a year for them!! They each have their own dog licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

No you don't.

Advertisement