Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about pumping and sterilisers

Options
  • 11-03-2013 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭

Hi All - my baby is due in June and I'm getting my bits and pieces sorted now. I'm going to buy the medela swing for pumping (it's very likely I will need to pump a lot) but I'm unsure as to what to do about a steriliser. What fits into what? i.e. do only medela brand bottles fit into the pump and then what steriliser do they fit into? Is it best to get the storage bags and put the milk into another bottle instead of the medela bottles?

I've been advised only to buy a small amount of bottles as the baby might not not like one brand and need to try another but do all bottles fit in all brands of steriliser?

Would appreciate any advice, I'm a bit confused :) No idea what steriliser/bottles to get!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I just had one Medela bottle that came with the pump. I used to pump into the bottle and transfer to the bags which I then froze in 4oz quantities which I reckoned was about a full feed.

I used to get the lansinoh bags in mothercare or smyths. I found them the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I didnt breastfeed so cant help with that side of things but regarding steriliser and bottles. I had avent sterliser and it will hold 6 avent bottles or about 4 or 5 tommee tippee or about 3 dr browns . So will hold any type but because the bottles are different shapes and sizes you might only get 3 or 4 in it. I also borrowed my friends tommee tippee microwave 1 steriliser and it held 3 Dr Brownes.
    I agree dont stock up on bottles. i spent a fortune buying bottles until i eventually found what suited LO.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I used the Medela swing pump, it will fit in the avent or dr browns microwave sterilisers. I bought the bags in tescos or boots, they're pre sterilised, so I pumped, transferred the milk and froze it or stuck it in the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

ok, so it's best to get the pump with bottle, some of those bag things and a steriliser with other bottles that the milk can be transferred to from the bags? I think I'm with you!

Thanks for the advice, some of this baby stuff is confusing :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

the 24 hour and 48 hour sterilisers are the best,the boots pod one is brilliant.

http://www.mothercare.ie/mothercare-electric-steam-steriliser-pod-white.html

tommee tippee bottles are great especially the anti colic + ones .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

As long as your baby is born full term and healthy you don't need to sterilise. Breastmilk is anti bacterial so washing with hot soapy water is enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

iguana wrote: »
    As long as your baby is born full term and healthy you don't need to sterilise. Breastmilk is anti bacterial so washing with hot soapy water is enough.

I am not sure you are using the term anti bacterial correctly.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I am not sure you are using the term anti bacterial correctly.

By antibacterial I mean that breastmilk has been shown to inhibit and reduce many pathogens that it comes into contact with. Breastmilk, while containing probiotics, has antibacterial properties that kill many bacteria including many which cause food poisoning in humans. For up to two days after being expressed, milk that has been infected with ecoli will kill 80% of that bacteria within 2 hours. (Breastmilk has also been shown to clear certain types of eye infections faster than antibiotic drops.) Because of this it's not necessary to sterilise breastpumps or bottles and cups that are used for breastfeeding, it's only formula which sterilising is necessary for.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

Wow iguana that is very interesting, i had thought that it had anti bacterial properties but i didn't realise to that extent!! And there i was steriliser all my bottles and pump for the past few months. As re the steriliser , if you plan to breastfeed you could get away with an advent microwave one. They are quick and so handy. I have the medula mini and the nuke bottles fit on to that pump also. Just freeze the milk in about 2 3oz. At a time. I got the breast storage bag in tesco :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'd be very very wary personally of not sterilising pumps and bottles: I had to use nipple shields for a while and it is recommended to sterilise them too: I just wouldn't take the risk.

I use the Avent microwave steriliser: it's quick and very handy. I've sterilised all sorts of bottles, pumps etc and its worked great for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I would definitely sterilise the pump and any bottles when using breast milk.................. Definitely

The medela swing parts fit in the avent electric steriliser as does 6 avent bottles and I can get 5 dr browns in there either after much practice!

I used the avent manual pump last time and using the swing when this one arrives.
    Last time I pumped into the bottle that came with pump and then stored in the freezer bags ( I used the lansinoh ones and found them great - no bursting or leaking!) but if I was using it that day I stored it in sterilised bottles in the fridge.

Medela recommend u wash the pump each time and sterilise once a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭shelly6

Antibacterial or not, milk is milk, and I'd still be sterilising for a few months at least. I used nipple shields and was told to pump a little after every feed to make sure my supply was maintained. I washed the pump every time and only sterilised it once or twice a day. I also sterlised the nipple shields every time I used them. (they are a wonderful breeding ground for thrush)

I don't think it matters what brand of sterliser you get. I got the avent one cos it was on special, and I had tomee tippee bottles and pump. You do need the bottles to match the pump.

There is no harm in sterilising if it brings peace of mind but there is no other purpose to it. If you look on the La Leche League website it explains that. Breastmilk kills the same bacteria that the steriliser does, so you are just making work for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Till what age are you supposed sterilize bottles for formula feeding? Madam will be five months and I'm planning to start her on formula but I forgot most of the stuff I did with the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dali Farmer

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Hi All - my baby is due in June and I'm getting my bits and pieces sorted now. I'm going to buy the medela swing for pumping (it's very likely I will need to pump a lot) but I'm unsure as to what to do about a steriliser. What fits into what? i.e. do only medela brand bottles fit into the pump and then what steriliser do they fit into? Is it best to get the storage bags and put the milk into another bottle instead of the medela bottles?

I've been advised only to buy a small amount of bottles as the baby might not not like one brand and need to try another but do all bottles fit in all brands of steriliser?

Would appreciate any advice, I'm a bit confused :) No idea what steriliser/bottles to get!
    Hi Murdy,
    Myself and my wife recently had twins. As they were prem at 35weeks they had difficulty latching on, and we had considered buying a medela swing pump. We got the advice of the excellent midwives from Holles street, and also from my sister in law who has breast fed three children.

Essentially my sister in law said that she had spent €300 on her first pump, but replaced it with a €500 pump when the first gave up last year. In Holles street my wife was using a medela symphony pump and the midwife advised us to hire one of these when we went home, rather than buying an inferior product. Her rationale essentially was that my wife could express in 20minutes with a medela symphony,what it may take her 30-40mins with an inferior pump. Also if you have any difficulty with it you can get it replaced without a financial outlay.

We hired one from Prices Medical Hall beside Trinity. It cost €95 per month with €35 for the two expression sets (this means that you can express both sides at the same time). We think it was defiantly the best decision for us. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Hi Murdy,
    Myself and my wife recently had twins. As they were prem at 35weeks they had difficulty latching on, and we had considered buying a medela swing pump. We got the advice of the excellent midwives from Holles street, and also from my sister in law who has breast fed three children.

Essentially my sister in law said that she had spent €300 on her first pump, but replaced it with a €500 pump when the first gave up last year. In Holles street my wife was using a medela symphony pump and the midwife advised us to hire one of these when we went home, rather than buying an inferior product. Her rationale essentially was that my wife could express in 20minutes with a medela symphony,what it may take her 30-40mins with an inferior pump. Also if you have any difficulty with it you can get it replaced without a financial outlay.

We hired one from Prices Medical Hall beside Trinity. It cost €95 per month with €35 for the two expression sets (this means that you can express both sides at the same time). We think it was defiantly the best decision for us. Best of luck

The Coombe recommended the same to us and I love the symphony pump. I'm not sure I want to breastfeed for longer than 6 weeks so hiring it for the month was perfect for us. In 15 minutes of pumping I can generally express about 6.5oz. It's such an easy pump to use too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There is no harm in sterilising if it brings peace of mind but there is no other purpose to it. If you look on the La Leche League website it explains that. Breastmilk kills the same bacteria that the steriliser does, so you are just making work for yourself.

whatever about bacteria, what about the virals or fungals? You never know what the bottles have come in contact with. You will be touching the bottles and teats with the same hands you use to change nappies, handle money, wipe your nose etc.

A steam steriliser is perfect, it's just hot water. Completely harmless.

I used the symphony pump as well, it's brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Thanks for the heads up - I'll have a think about renting. Part of me likes the idea of having the pump paid for up front (I'm trying to reduce monthly costs) but it may be worth it for a better pump.

The bit about two expression sets for pumping at the same time did scare me a little bit. I'll be like a moo cow hooked up to a milking machine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

A moo cow!!! Hehehe!!!!

Only thing about the symphony - are they not big? Swing nice and portable for ongoing use in various places!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

dublinlady wrote: »
    A moo cow!!! Hehehe!!!!

Only thing about the symphony - are they not big? Swing nice and portable for ongoing use in various places!!

I rented the symphony too and it's not big at all. I find it brilliant I must admit.

• Advertisement

until you stop giving her formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'd imagine that with the more expensive pumps, there'd be a good second-hand market, so you might get some money back on it that way.

I sterilised the pump parts every day/whenever I used it, not because I'm overly worried about bacteria, but I'm lazy and it was easy to give a quick wash in the sink and pop into the steam steriliser and you definitely knew there'd be no sour milk left in it the next time you went to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Love2u

I breast feed and used the pump, I still sterilised everything. You can never be too careful in the early stages. My health nurse also recommend me to purchase the steriliser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Love2u

cyning wrote: »
    I'd be very very wary personally of not sterilising pumps and bottles: I had to use nipple shields for a while and it is recommended to sterilise them too: I just wouldn't take the risk.

I use the Avent microwave steriliser: it's quick and very handy. I've sterilised all sorts of bottles, pumps etc and its worked great for me.

I agree

Advertisement