Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!

• 11-03-2013 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I have a ferroli Tempra 18 gas boiler which has worked well for about 10 years. It gets serviced every year and is on a maintenance contract. A few weeks ago I noticed the circulation pump was running long after the boiler stopped heating (like hours later) initially I though the boiler had been left on but this was not the case. A week or so later I noticed that the boiler was over flowing into the drain at the side of the house where the boiler is mounted on the inside. I found this strange as I understood the boiler to be a sealed system. I rang the company who is contracted and they came out and replaced the PCB, when I mentioned about the water leaking out he looked at a valve in the hot press feeding the system and said it most be faulty and that a plumber would need to replace. I went ahead and did this and he was right it was marginally faulty. After replacing the valve and re-pressurising the system and closing the valve I found the system was losing pressure and stopping. I believe the constant flow of water into the system was hiding the leak from the system. Anyway called the contracted company out who said over the phone it was the expension valve and would order the part. They came out and advised they replaced the valve but I still have the same issue of losing pressure through the exit at the rear of the boiler. I called the company again and they came out and said there was dirt in the expansion valve and that they could not be coming out to clean that again. So basically I am having to leave the valve in the HP slightly open to allow the system to stay pressured. I know the system is over 10 years old but can I just leave as is until the water metering comes in? I'm told parts and labout to date would have cost over €800 but that's not much use to me, I dont see that this issue cannot be resolved but the will doesnt seem to be there anymore with the maintenance company. Any advise and what is the likely replacement cost if that is the only option? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

amurray32 wrote: »
    I have a ferroli Tempra 18 gas boiler which has worked well for about 10 years. It gets serviced every year and is on a maintenance contract. A few weeks ago I noticed the circulation pump was running long after the boiler stopped heating (like hours later) initially I though the boiler had been left on but this was not the case. A week or so later I noticed that the boiler was over flowing into the drain at the side of the house where the boiler is mounted on the inside. I found this strange as I understood the boiler to be a sealed system. I rang the company who is contracted and they came out and replaced the PCB, when I mentioned about the water leaking out he looked at a valve in the hot press feeding the system and said it most be faulty and that a plumber would need to replace. I went ahead and did this and he was right it was marginally faulty. After replacing the valve and re-pressurising the system and closing the valve I found the system was losing pressure and stopping. I believe the constant flow of water into the system was hiding the leak from the system. Anyway called the contracted company out who said over the phone it was the expension valve and would order the part. They came out and advised they replaced the valve but I still have the same issue of losing pressure through the exit at the rear of the boiler. I called the company again and they came out and said there was dirt in the expansion valve and that they could not be coming out to clean that again. So basically I am having to leave the valve in the HP slightly open to allow the system to stay pressured. I know the system is over 10 years old but can I just leave as is until the water metering comes in? I'm told parts and labout to date would have cost over €800 but that's not much use to me, I dont see that this issue cannot be resolved but the will doesnt seem to be there anymore with the maintenance company. Any advise and what is the likely replacement cost if that is the only option? Thanks!
    What is the pressure on your gauge reading?
    Does it only leak when the heating is on?
    If you leave the filling valve on it will destroy your entire heating system. Allowing fresh water into a system will basically rust anything that's made from steel, ie radiators!! If you have lime in your water then your heat exchanger in your boiler will scale up in no time too.
    If you're paying this so called maintenance company then they should be fixing this problem for you

• Registered Users Posts: 36 amurray32

Thanks Dtp79. The heating will not engage at pressure less than 2, this has been the case for years. We have no lime in our water thankfully. I think it drips even when heating is off but it is definitely greater when on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

amurray32 wrote: »
    Thanks Dtp79. The heating will not engage at pressure less than 2, this has been the case for years. We have no lime in our water thankfully. I think it drips even when heating is off but it is definitely greater when on.
    Your pressure relief valve is gone needs replacing also your expansion vessel needs recharging possibly replacing.Neither are very big jobs you need to get a decent rgi out to sort them out before your heating system is damaged and cost a complete fortune to repair

Advertisement