Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DA FUQ Brian McDermott sacked!

• 11-03-2013 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

Next Ireland manager maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Has Trap gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

EdenHazard wrote: »

To quote yourself, "DA FUQ"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wolves level of panic in the boardroom.

Asinine carry on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Didn't see that coming. Bit harsh as he has done well getting them promoted.
    Official tho: http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-110313-708125.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Reading+v+Sheffield+United+-+FA+Cup+Fourth+Round

Club statement - here.

Pretty pointless in my view. Nobody's going to get more from the squad and he looked to have had a good spirit fostered in the team.

Stevecw wrote: »
    Didn't see that coming. Bit harsh as he has done well getting them promoted.
    Official tho: http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-110313-708125.aspx
    Did you not hear about the Southampton manager last month?

Fair is fair Eden, you got there first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Terry Connor or Alan Shearer rescue mission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Esse85 wrote: »
    Did you not hear about the Southampton manager last month?

I sure did, and that made no sense to me either, esp getting in a guy who can't even speak English.
    I really hope both Reading and Southampton go down now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Paully D wrote: »
    Terry Connor or Alan Shearer rescue mission.

Reading? He can barely manage talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Crazy stuff going on with managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Chairmen getting into squeaky arse territory with the new TV money up for grabs this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Massively overachieved last year in winning the Championship and has unfortunately paid a price as a consequence. Such a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Crazy decision:(. But then what do you expect from those damn Rooskies. Cannot see further than their nose. They'll have a problem getting a quality replacement, unless the money is at a ridiculous level:rolleyes:.

x8HAgQq.jpg

Stevecw wrote: »
    I sure did, and that made no sense to me either, esp getting in a guy who can't even speak English.
    I really hope both Reading and Southampton go down now.
    So do I cos I'm a Villa fan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Worth a gamble. They were doomed with him in charge I feel so take a risk on someone new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

That song comes to mind "Anything Roman can do i can do too............" Should have rang Wolves first , look at wolves since that disastrous decision

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

They'll have a problem getting a quality replacement, unless the money is at a ridiculous level:rolleyes:.

money no good now , regardless with window closed - dont think even guardiola could keep them up now , especially with QPR finding form, and Wigan able to produce quality now and then - tbh they are very poor team , possibly worst in division

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Worth a gamble. They were doomed with him in charge I feel so take a risk on someone new.
    But what about next season? They'd have been in a good place under McDermott if they went down, with someone new it is as you said a risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Threads merged! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Didnt see that coming TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Out of interest is there many/any examples of a team deep in the relegation zone with 9 to go sacking their manager and still saving their season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

roanoke wrote: »
    Out of interest is there many/any examples of a team deep in the relegation zone with 9 to go sacking their manager and still saving their season?

Probably not, but there is a very real effect of a new man being brought in, which can sometimes get some honeymoon results.

I see both sides, tbh. They were doomed regardless. Though the argument about coming back up is a solid one. The Championship is absolutely no cake-walk.

CSF wrote: »
    But what about next season? They'd have been in a good place under McDermott if they went down, with someone new it is as you said a risk.

The reward of staying in the league is far greater then the risk of not bouncing straight up from the Championship I think. Not a given that McDermott could do it again either.

The reward of staying in the league is far greater then the risk of not bouncing straight up from the Championship I think. Not a given that McDermott could do it again either.
    But what actually leads anyone to suggest that anyone else could do better other than hope? The squad is very poor because there isn't the money there.

Away to Manchester United and Arsenal next. Ouch!

CSF wrote: »
    But what actually leads anyone to suggest that anyone else could do better other than hope? The squad is very poor because there isn't the money there.

I'm pretty sure they are relying just on hope. It's like that famous quite about insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Do any of us feel Reading have a chance of staying up with McDermott? I don't and the Chairman obviously feels the same. So the question then is should the Chairman accept relegation and keep McDermott on the basis that he will be the best person to help them get promoted. I think it's close call either way, I can see reasons for keeping him and taking a risk. I certainly don't think sacking him is some lolcrazy decision that some people make it out to be. A new manager might not even bring much but other then a short-term morale boost for players and the club which could be enough.

• Advertisement

Guess who was at Reading's game on Saturday:

BFGFk3JCcAAC39w.jpg

Surely not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Di Canio is evens to take over!

Adkins worth a shout too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'm hoping Adkins smugs his way to the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Adkins and DiCanio should wait for more likely candidates for Prem survival - West Ham springs to mind. Or take good Championship jobs in the summer.

mike65 wrote: »
    Adkins and DiCanio should wait for more likely candidates for Prem survival - West Ham springs to mind. Or take good Championship jobs in the summer.
    But Reading would be a good Championship job in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

mike65 wrote: »

Yeah West Ham should definitely sack Big Sam, sure what's he done for them since he took over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Suarez's Fault.

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah West Ham should definitely sack Big Sam, sure what's he done for them since he took over?

Read a few West Ham forums where they weren't to sure how long more he'll be in the job for.

Di Canio would be a complete and utter disaster at Premier League level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Whats the quickest way for a championship manager to get sacked ? I'd imagine unexpected promotion to the premiership ranks high.

That 'Suarez fault' "joke", was that ever funny? The yore ma of the soccer forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

He looks devastated on his Twitter profile picture.

2011-03-12-twitter-egg.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

what's shocking is that, if we're honest, this isn't really that shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Paully D wrote: »
    Di Canio would be a complete and utter disaster at Premier League level.

But hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

JPA wrote: »
    But hilarious.

Agree ^^ :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

WOLVES. MICK MCCARTHY. WOLVES. LAST SEASON. RELEGATED. AWFUL THIS YEAR.

Amazing that people don't learn. You have two choices: ever so marginally increase your chances of staying up (actually, I'd be interested to see some data on whether these types of changes improve survival rates at all) while throttling stability and chances of bouncing back if the worst happens. Or stick as you are and feel good about next season no matter what happens.

Some club will do the same thing next year too is the laughable part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

They have to have some lined up, bit stupid to sack a manager without a replacement lined up. I feel sorry for them if it is Di Canio, he is not fit to manage any team.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    WOLVES. MICK MCCARTHY. WOLVES. LAST SEASON. RELEGATED. AWFUL THIS YEAR.

Amazing that people don't learn. You have two choices: ever so marginally increase your chances of staying up (actually, I'd be interested to see some data on whether these types of changes improve survival rates at all) while throttling stability and chances of bouncing back if the worst happens. Or stick as you are and feel good about next season no matter what happens.

Some club will do the same thing next year too is the laughable part.

BOLTON. OWEN COYLE. BOLTON. LAST SEASON. RELEGATED. AWFUL THIS YEAR WITH HIM AS MANAGER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

BOLTON. OWEN COYLE. BOLTON. LAST SEASON. RELEGATED. AWFUL THIS YEAR WITH HIM AS MANAGER.

Fair enough. West Brom should be the blueprint for clubs going up imo. Came up a couple of times, didn't overstretch. Took a long term approach and gradually built it up until they were well placed for a sustained run at the top level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I feel sorry for them if it is Di Canio, he is not fit to manage any team.

yeah, he did an awful job at swindon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Fair enough. West Brom should be the blueprint for clubs going up imo. Came up a couple of times, didn't overstretch. Took a long term approach and gradually built it up until they were well placed for a sustained run at the top level.

Absolutely right. There's no harm coming up and going down your first time if you make sure to keep the finances in check while you're in the prem. You'll make a fortune from TV money, and you'll also have parachute payments to keep you going when you go down, which should, in theory, allow for you to continue strengthening even after relegation and come back up stronger after the following season. Doesn't necessarily always work like that though.

IMO any team who goes down should be looking at getting Neil Warnock in on a 1 year contract to get them back up, then replace him immediately since that seems to be about all he's good for

Funnily enough that's a club who were hammered for sacking Di Matteo is a very similar situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement