Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DA FUQ Brian McDermott sacked!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I naively thought that even if they got relegated they would stand by him.

It's getting to the stage where if you do well in the Championship you can easily become a victim of your own success. Reading and Southampton were promoted automatically in first and second position respectively and yet McDermott and Adkins haven't lasted the season. Sorry state of affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I naively thought that even if they got relegated they would stand by him.

It's getting to the stage where if you do well in the Championship you can easily become a victim of your own success. Reading and Southampton were promoted automatically in first and second position respectively and yet McDermott and Adkins haven't lasted the season. Sorry state of affairs.

This is true but the new tv money comes in next year and will make the gap between the Premier League and the Championship even larger. With relegation looking a very real prospect, as Reading chairman I might be prepared to roll the dice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    (actually, I'd be interested to see some data on whether these types of changes improve survival rates at all)

Kevin Pullein (or another Racing Post statistician) did some analysis a few years ago and reckoned that there is actually a tiny case for a managerial change mid-season; from memory it averaged out to something like .1 of a point per game improvement over the next 10 games v the previous 10 games.

Was not just EPL relegation candidates - was all teams in all 4 divisions over a decent time sample, so things like difficulty of fixture lists should balance to neutral.

Small beer admittedly, 1 point over 10 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Kevin Pullein (or another Racing Post statistician) did some analysis a few years ago and reckoned that there is actually a tiny case for a managerial change mid-season; from memory it averaged out to something like .1 of a point per game improvement over the next 10 games v the previous 10 games.

Was not just EPL relegation candidates - was all teams in all 4 divisions over a decent time sample, so things like difficulty of fixture lists should balance to neutral.

It could be the difference between safety and relegation for some over 20 games though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Despise Reading and their fans but actually had a fair bit of time for McDermott.

Praying that Di Canio doesn't get it. My feelings will be so conflicted if they've to win the last game of the season against us to stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Its like some of these chairmen went to the Vince McMahon school of business.

Next game is at United.

Pleeeeease be Di Canio.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

.1 of a point per game is something I guess. You'd also need to analyse the difference of Premiership sides going down and keeping management staff together versus those who have changed during the season when it comes to their assualt on the Championship the following year. Meh, it seems like this research would be easy enough to do...I'd bet PP and the likes have numbers on this sort of stuff readily available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Remember Derby hired Paul Jewell during January of a season, and they pretty much wrote off the rest of that season to start rebuilding for their promotion attack the following year?

Didn't work out very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

They've simply left it too late in my opinion.

9 games left? Absolutely no point!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exactly, never sack after the first week of January, that way the new guy has a chance to tweak the squad even if only with loans.

And always know who you're next manager will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

This decision has left me quite conflicted as Brian has been such a great servant to the club- however, this year has shown that he just doesn't have the ability to work at this level.

Bizarre team selections, unflinching loyalty to players who were clearly under performing, fall outs with players and tactical naivety have been hallmarks of our season so far. Apart from a hot streak in January, it's been pretty depressing stuff.

I think that the Board must have an eye on someone and were worried that if they didn't get him in now they might lose him to someone else in the close season. Brian's cards were probably marked after last few weeks. If we didn't make a great start to next years campaign, he would have been out next November.

At least this way the new man will get part of this season to assess what he has inherited and then have all summer to put together a squad that can compete next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

mosstin wrote: »
    Reading? He can barely manage talking.
    I'm sure Shearer inspires great conference in his players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I hope this isnt the end of Hartey

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If changing managers gives a statistical chance of improvement over the coming games should Spurs consider ditching AVB in the hope of overtaking City for the second automatic promotion spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Voltwad wrote: »
    I'm sure Shearer inspires great conference in his players.

I'd trust him to creosote my fence. That's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Really liked McDermott. Was he the one who recommended Kev Doyle & Shane Long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sky sources understand Gus Poyet given permission to talk to Reading...

Strange one that,he's with Brighton who are on the up,why would he go to a club going the other way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

zerks wrote: »

Strange one that,he's with Brighton who are on the up,why would he go to a club going the other way?
    money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Reading are still in a much better position then Brighton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

COYVB wrote: »

Absolutely right. There's no harm coming up and going down your first time if you make sure to keep the finances in check while you're in the prem. You'll make a fortune from TV money, and you'll also have parachute payments to keep you going when you go down, which should, in theory, allow for you to continue strengthening even after relegation and come back up stronger after the following season. Doesn't necessarily always work like that though.

IMO any team who goes down should be looking at getting Neil Warnock in on a 1 year contract to get them back up, then replace him immediately since that seems to be about all he's good for

Why Neil Warnock?
    In the last 17 years he has gotten 2 teams promoted. its not like he's some master of it
    zerks wrote: »

Perhaps he realises he has hit a ceiling with brighton, that they won't give home money, that he has a better chance of making reading a consistent PL team over the next few years

Guy Poyet was never going to leave Brighton, Amex 27,000 now, more later, club on the up, big potential there.

Nigel Adkins confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

See I don't get that. Adkins and McDermott are more or less the exact same manager(I'm sure someone will call me out on this, listing what makes Adkins this great promising manager and Reading were right to let go) but in reality Adkins spent so much with Southampton and wasn't doing anything special with them this season(not many managers can spend 10 million on an attacking midfielder), so unless its just to give a new fresh impetus for the championship then it was pointless sacking McDermott.

Indeed, Adkins is I think talented as a coach and as such could get them back up (in a league where about 12 clubs can hope to go up every year!) but save them this season? Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Doesn't really matter who they got, squad isn't good enough to save them now.

Advertisement