Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how big is yours?

Options
  • 11-03-2013 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I've been searching around a few RFD's for patches for my recently aquired .22lr. Everyone just seems to stock the Remmy 12g patches and the advise seems to be "cut them up". So I purchased a pack and cut them into quarters as per advise, they still seem way to big. I tried to patch clean the rifle on Saturday after 100 rounds but they just wouldn't go in!!!! I ended up having to run a cheapo nylon brush and mop through it. To those in the know.......... Can you give me the dimensions to your .22 cleaning patches?

Cheers lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You need to cut those quarters into quarters again so you'll end up with patches 1/16th the original size.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭skinnylizzy

Blay wrote: »
    You need to cut those quarters into quarters again so you'll end up with patches 1/16th the original size.

Excellent. Thank you Blay. I appreciate the quick response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Same as JR. I just buy .22 specific patches. Around 1/2" across, and square. You can also buy a new jag, and the "rolled" patches for a .22lr. Great for cleaning, but not everyone stocks them.

IRLConor uses them on his .22lr so he might be able to give you a source for them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The patches Conor uses are a felt made by VFG, available from Intershoot. I use square cotton patches and solvents myself, just find them faster to work through my cleaning routine with, but those VFG felts are great, particularly the two varieties. They come in bags of 500, so you'd get plenty use out of one, particularly if you don't clean after every time you fire the rifle.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Yep, I use these:

http://intershoot.co.uk/acatalog/vfg-Cleaning-Felts--22-x-500-172.html

and these:

http://intershoot.co.uk/acatalog/vfg-Intensive-Felts--22-x-500-382.html

I used to use cotton patches but I find the felts are a bit quicker to use. It's easier to get even coverage all around the circumference of the barrel so I find I need fewer runs through before they start coming out clean. (With good ammo, sometimes it'll take only 3 felts.)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

I use old tee shirts cut up.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Yep, I use these:

http://intershoot.co.uk/acatalog/vfg-Cleaning-Felts--22-x-500-172.html

and these:

http://intershoot.co.uk/acatalog/vfg-Intensive-Felts--22-x-500-382.html

I used to use cotton patches but I find the felts are a bit quicker to use. It's easier to get even coverage all around the circumference of the barrel so I find I need fewer runs through before they start coming out clean. (With good ammo, sometimes it'll take only 3 felts.)

Thanks for the link. I think I might go down this route. So do you use the special paste and grease they sell or do ya just use normal solvent? Cheers Conor.

Thanks for the link. I think I might go down this route. So do you use the special paste and grease they sell or do ya just use normal solvent? Cheers Conor.

Just normal solvent. I've used the blue paste in the past but it's not for everyday cleaning. Even on a pretty clean gun it can take an hour to use the blue stuff since it gets so much dirt out. I once spent 2 x 3 hour sessions getting a rifle clean with it!

IRLConor wrote: »

Just normal solvent. I've used the blue paste in the past but it's not for everyday cleaning. Even on a pretty clean gun it can take an hour to use the blue stuff since it gets so much dirt out. I once spent 2 x 3 hour sessions getting a rifle clean with it!

Thank's IRLConor, I appreciate the advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Get your hands on a roll of flanelette and you're sorted from everything between a shotgun and a .17.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

I'm sure this is gonna bother some of you fellows, however.....a Junior size tampon cut up would work just as good for the .22, regular size for a 12G!

(leave it to a woman :D)

I'm sure this is gonna bother some of you fellows, however.....a Junior size tampon cut up would work just as good for the .22, regular size for a 12G!

Hah. As it turns out, the French name for the vfg cleaning felts are "tampons":

vfg_66818_615.jpg

Luckily the super intensive ones are called "nettoyeurs intensifs supérieurs". I don't think anyone would like to see "tampons intensifs supérieurs" with brass fibres embedded in them! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Couldn't blame lady for being practically inclined :)

Advertisement