Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

INDIEPENDENCE 2013

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

First time there, loved it. Bit bizarre crowd wise; everyone we met seemed to be either 17/18 or around 29/30. But yeah, great atmosphere, hardly any queues for anything (but there was the rather strange thing of the security going through your wallet for drugs on the way in...) and generally just folks out having a good time. Loved the fact you could wander into Mitchelstown during the day for pints, hat tip to Jackie O'Brien's who were doing €3 pints and had phone chargers and toiletries for folks in there. Great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

My second year in a row going to Indie and can't wait for next year already to be honest. I was there in the mud last year and it was horrendous, this year it was fantastic.

Everything from the layout, to facilities to the acts - top notch, the security staff seemed much nicer to deal with this year but then again everyone was miserable last year with the weather!

My mentions go to MMOTHS, Toby Kaar & Aeroplane - gutted I missed Le Galaxie :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 teebag

King Kong Company Yeah!!!!!!

kudos to the bacardi team too. great babysitting on the sunday!!! Cheers guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

King Kong Company Saturday were unreal in the tent, they put on some show after the dullness of the previous artists on the main stage. It really was a crazy weekend took days to recover. Other highlights were ASIWYFA, We Are Scientists and Le Galaxie.

Had to leave early Sunday which was a pity with the likes of Windings, Protobaby and Orla Gartland playing. Overall a great weekend more chilled out Friday before the Kodaline followers came in Saturday evening and a massive exodus when they finished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

D'Agger wrote: »
    the security staff seemed much nicer to deal with this year but then again everyone was miserable last year with the weather!

I'm hoping I just got a bad couple but I had a few not great dealings with security.

I was on in the comedy tent and needed to go to the Artist's Check-In area to get my wristband. I asked a security guy where it was and got "Why the f*ck would you need to know that?" in response. Eh.... because I need to check in?

When I found out where it was I was making my way up there and was rudely accosted by another security guy who told me to leave the path I was on and that I was not allowed up to the artists check-in. I explained why I was going up to the check-in area and he asked to see my artist's wristband. He didn't seem to get the idea that I had to go up to the check-in area to actually get my wristband and if he only let people with wristbands up there then nobody would actually get one. To be honest I'd just received some very bad news and was in no mood so barked my name, my stage and the time I was on at him, told him to go look it up if he felt like it and kept going. The two Gardai with the security guy at the time laughed.

I'm not sure if any other performers had hassle like that but if the staff don't let the artists up to the check-in area then how the hell are they supposed to get their wristbands?

Other than those two though it seemed like great fun. Really enjoyed playing at it. I didn't get to stay but would definitely go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

Kodaline, Ryan Sheridan, Walking on cars, The Hot Sprockets and Bastille were highlights for me, had no trouble getting in except in any day except the Sunday, there was some wagon at the gate making up her own rules... But we had forgotten about it almost as soon as we got in. Unreal weekend, I'm still nackered though, I'd say I got about 6 hours sleep in the last 4 days. I could sleep for a week now!!!

De La Soul were absolutely unreal. Wouldn't be my kind of music at all and I probably won't listen to it again, but the performance was class and the craic in the crowd was great aswell. When your man came back on and started playing again I thought he was going to DJ for the night. Would have been brilliant.

Just to let you know, I was that girl at the gate and we were told by the security staff to hold people at the gate a couple of times on the Sunday as the lines were getting too long or something, was in no way my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

nermal15 wrote: »
    Just to let you know, I was that girl at the gate and we were told by the security staff to hold people at the gate a couple of times on the Sunday as the lines were getting too long or something, was in no way my decision.

There was no queue at this time, it was to do with the ages of people and things. The first two days my sister who is 22 was able to sign for me and my friends who are 14/15, no trouble we were let in grand. On the last day this person (or you if you think it was you) said that the age to sign for minors was 25 now, not 21, and also that they could only bring in one person. She (or you) was disgusted when she saw that we had wristbands and asked where we got them from. I had emailed them before it to see if it was alright because in previous years it was always 21 and they said that it was just Tickets.ie had that template for all their tickets and that they would be letting people in with a 21 year old. We went back to the hut place and the girl there said that they can change the age if they need to but Shane Dunne was in there and told them to tell us that the thing about only bringing in one person wasn't right. My cousin then came out from inside there and signed us in, she's 28. When we went back to the gate the same woman said that if we were going in there we were to stay with the guardian at all times, if we were seen wandering on our own we would immediately be thrown out by security. I had also asked about this in an email I sent to Indiependence and they said that once we're inside the grounds with the guardian, we can wander provided they check up with us every so often. We agreed to this anyway because we didn't want more trouble. When inside I met 10 or 15 others in my year in school and only 2 of them had encountered this lady at the gate, they rest were in earlier. All of these were walking around without a guardian, within 5 yards of security at some points. But because we're male minors we must be up to no good, coz that's just what we do like. :rolleyes:

I presumed that either something bad happened on the Saturday night and that security had to tighten OR that they needed more security on the Sunday because of large crowds and that the new staff weren't adequately briefed.

I don't like giving a big long complaint like this over something that was forgotten about almost immediately and didn't succeed in ruining an epic weekend, but I wanted to clear that up. I'm fairly sure that you're not the lady we encountered at the gate as our descriptions are quite different. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I presumed that either something bad happened on the Saturday night and that security had to tighten OR that they needed more security on the Sunday because of large crowds and that the new staff weren't adequately briefed.

The Gardaí said that security were being too lenient the previous two days so they had to be more particular to keep our pencil-pushing crime-fighters happy.

They have quotas to meet, etc etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

It'll probably go to over 18s next year to avoid all that hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

It'll probably go to over 18s next year to avoid all that hassle.
    Ahh I doubt it coz they've always made a point about being a "family friendly" festival.

• Advertisement

You can still allow under 12s in with parents, just pass on the 13-17 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

There was no queue at this time, it was to do with the ages of people and things. The first two days my sister who is 22 was able to sign for me and my friends who are 14/15, no trouble we were let in grand. On the last day this person (or you if you think it was you) said that the age to sign for minors was 25 now, not 21, and also that they could only bring in one person. She (or you) was disgusted when she saw that we had wristbands and asked where we got them from. I had emailed them before it to see if it was alright because in previous years it was always 21 and they said that it was just Tickets.ie had that template for all their tickets and that they would be letting people in with a 21 year old. We went back to the hut place and the girl there said that they can change the age if they need to but Shane Dunne was in there and told them to tell us that the thing about only bringing in one person wasn't right. My cousin then came out from inside there and signed us in, she's 28. When we went back to the gate the same woman said that if we were going in there we were to stay with the guardian at all times, if we were seen wandering on our own we would immediately be thrown out by security. I had also asked about this in an email I sent to Indiependence and they said that once we're inside the grounds with the guardian, we can wander provided they check up with us every so often. We agreed to this anyway because we didn't want more trouble. When inside I met 10 or 15 others in my year in school and only 2 of them had encountered this lady at the gate, they rest were in earlier. All of these were walking around without a guardian, within 5 yards of security at some points. But because we're male minors we must be up to no good, coz that's just what we do like. :rolleyes:

I don't like giving a big long complaint like this over something that was forgotten about almost immediately and didn't succeed in ruining an epic weekend, but I wanted to clear that up. I'm fairly sure that you're not the lady we encountered at the gate as our descriptions are quite different. :P

Ok, you're right, that wasn't me! Sorry about your unpleasant experience, sounds like a headache all right.

Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

grindle wrote: »
    The Gardaí said that security were being too lenient the previous two days so they had to be more particular to keep our pencil-pushing crime-fighters happy.

They have quotas to meet, etc etc!

That is a bit ridiculous though.but I fully understand its not yer fault.
    Everyone knew the scumbags were gonna go to oxygen instead like. There were a few..but didn't seem to cause any trouble.

Advertisement