Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best modem to purchase for DSL stability on poor line?

Options
  • 11-03-2013 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

What is the best modem model to purchase for DSL stability on a poor line?

The reason for asking:  bad experiences over years with different Zyxel modems and firmwares on different premises and lines, different providers Eircom and Magnet Business. In all cases, over time, the Zyxel modems behaviour degenerates to (at best) repeated dropping the DSL signal and less frequent but intermittent rebooting; and at worst, needing a physical presence at the location to power-off and power on. Tuning down the line speed usually lessens the problem but never eliminates it.

An Eircom business salesperson,  talking about using DSL just for fallback, has also rubbished the Zyxel ranges and suggested a Cisco model, unfortunately I do not have the model number.

I need stability in the sense of no DSL drops to resync; no manual hands-on to power on and off. I do not even need a wireless capability, I can provide a separate wireless access point for that if needed.

Experienced info preferred, not just specs or theory!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

andublin wrote: »
    What is the best modem model to purchase for DSL stability on a poor line?

The reason for asking:  bad experiences over years with different Zyxel modems and firmwares on different premises and lines, different providers Eircom and Magnet Business. In all cases, over time, the Zyxel modems behaviour degenerates to (at best) repeated dropping the DSL signal and less frequent but intermittent rebooting; and at worst, needing a physical presence at the location to power-off and power on. Tuning down the line speed usually lessens the problem but never eliminates it.

An Eircom business salesperson,  talking about using DSL just for fallback, has also rubbished the Zyxel ranges and suggested a Cisco model, unfortunately I do not have the model number.

I need stability in the sense of no DSL drops to resync; no manual hands-on to power on and off. I do not even need a wireless capability, I can provide a separate wireless access point for that if needed.

Experienced info preferred, not just specs or theory!
    Thanks.
    Hi andublin

As eircom now only supply zyxel modems and based on lack of personal experience with other models I'm not in a position to comment on what other models may be better. Hopefully some users will post some helpful comments and advice on this subject to this thread, however if you require any assistance on a specific eircom account or internet issue please feel free to send me a private message detailing the issue.

Also, for future reference this link may help you when you have obtained a third party modem.

Best wishes

Al

Advertisement