Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enough essays for Physical Geography

• 11-03-2013 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

This is what i've got done for physical - is i enough to cover me?

Formation of Sedimentary Rocks
    Formation of Metamorphic Rocks
    Formation of Igneous Rocks
    Formation of Waterfall
    Formation of Ox Bow Lake
    Human Interaction with Fluvial Processes
    Human Interaction with Rock Cycle
    Plate Tectonics - Volcanic Activity
    Plate Tectonics - Folding
    Formation of Limestone and How it Produces a Karstic landscape

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

No.

Don't learn off essays, learn information on each topic. The exam paper has been getting less predictable over the last couple of years and I've seen students learning off a handful of essays (like you are suggesting) and getting stung.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Lc201395

I know thats what everyones saying but those are all fairly general essays and could be manipulated to answer a variety of questions

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Lc201395 wrote: »
    I know thats what everyones saying but those are all fairly general essays and could be manipulated to answer a variety of questions

Don't mind me, I've just seen it happen to students countless times. I'm not going to tell you "sure you'll be grand if you just learn off essays". What grade are you aiming for? How are you doing in mocks etc? If you have the ability to manipulate the essay content to suit a particular question, why cling to this notion of learning off essays instead of information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Depends what you mean by learning off essays.

For geography I recommend you learn off essay plans. Essay title on top with half an A4 page of bullet points, learn off paragraphs, definitions and annotated diagrams. Use headings. Overtime you'll start to grasp a better understanding of the material.

As pointed out the paper can be unpredictable so learning off whole essays word for word isn't really time efficient (with the exception of a few staple questions I guess). But having a good exam technique and knowing how to write an essay will do you so many favours in Geography. So to completely dismiss learning of essays altogether is not so wise either.

If you know all those essays that's a great start but they probably aren't specific enough if you're looking for a high B<. Have you got just one essay prepared for volcanic activity? They could ask two completely different questions on something like that. Formation of X type of rock. You could be asked to write about two rocks of that type, which would be great. But if they specify one rock of that type, you need to be able to write the full essay on just that one. Karst landscape, can you write on a surface feature and an underground feature? Etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Lc201395

yeah ive decided im gonna learn general essays and learn material from the book aswell

• Advertisement
Advertisement