Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

220 Euro gas bill for one bed apartment

Options
  • 11-03-2013 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I recently got a 220 euro gas bill for a one bed apartment for the period December to mid Feb. The thing is the place was practically empty the whole time.

Rang Bord Gais and was told, this is a correct meter reading and that's it.

Could there be a problem with the meter? Is that amount standard for an urban one bed with an A3 BER ?

Many thanks !

Nika

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

Would suggest you take current meter reading, then switch off every electrical appliance in the apartment for at least one hour then take another reading. The reading shouldn't have changed. That's what Bord Gais told me to do recently when I queried my bill which was very high considering I had only spent one month of the two months applicable to that bill in my house. I found my meter was working correctly. However and strangely (!) my next bill was much lower even though I was in the house for the two months which the bill referred to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

was either this bill or the previous one estimated?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

was either this bill or the previous one estimated?

Oddly no the last one was a reading as was this one. It shot up in this time which would have been fine given the weather but nobody was in the place so I cant figure it out. Plus unusually for a one bed its got a A3 BER and I rarely ever need to put the heat on so cant figure it out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hi All,

I recently got a 220 euro gas bill for a one bed apartment for the period December to mid Feb. The thing is the place was practically empty the whole time.

Rang Bord Gais and was told, this is a correct meter reading and that's it.

Could there be a problem with the meter? Is that amount standard for an urban one bed with an A3 BER ?

Many thanks !

Nika

Is it on a thermostat ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Or on a manual timer and you turned it on for a few extra hours one day and forgot to reset the timer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Tisserand wrote: »
    Would suggest you take current meter reading, then switch off every electrical appliance in the apartment for at least one hour then take another reading. The reading shouldn't have changed. That's what Bord Gais told me to do recently when I queried my bill which was very high considering I had only spent one month of the two months applicable to that bill in my house. I found my meter was working correctly. However and strangely (!) my next bill was much lower even though I was in the house for the two months which the bill referred to.

How will that help his gas consumption ?! :confused:

OP is it possible that previous readings were estimates and this one was an actual reading ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

ZENER wrote: »
    How will that help his gas consumption ?! :confused:

OP is it possible that previous readings were estimates and this one was an actual reading ?

Ken

It will tell you if your meter is working correctly or if the meter continues to work when there are no appliances switched on. That will eliminate the possibility that the meter is not working correctly which is what Bord Gais suggest is the first step one takes if they are querying a high bill that cannot be explained. (Doh!)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Heating was never on. Totally off bar a handful of days for part of the day where I turned it on then off and left again for a while. Have asked Bord Gais for one of those keys for the meter box so I can go read the meter myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

It will tell you if your meter is working correctly or if the meter continues to work when there are no appliances switched on. That will eliminate the possibility that the meter is not working correctly which is what Bord Gais suggest is the first step one takes if they are querying a high bill that cannot be explained. (Doh!)

I just tried to plug out my gas oven, mad smell of gas in here now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Seriously ?! Have you read the OPs first post ? His GAS BILL was more than expected !! Gas meters have no connection to mains electricity.

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Read your gas meter and do so every day at the same time for a week, while not changing usage pattern. At least you'll get an idea of what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

Your bill sounds very expensive. Turn off all gas consuming appliances. Go and have a look at your gas meter. If the readout is changing something is wrong. You may have a gas leak. Check if the reading on the meter matches your reading on your bill. Someone might be stealing gas from your installation such as a neighbour. Or maybe your meter and your neighbours have been mixed up. If your meter is turning whilst all appliances are off ring bord Gais emergency line. Most of the above are far fetched, but possible.

Advertisement